What in the hell have I gotten myself into?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Thanks guys for the input. It is duely noted.

Well yesterday was cold and cloudy so I decided to whip out an aftermarket stereo I had bought months ago and wire it up. I bought a harness adapter for the car. I HATE it when people cut the plugs off the harness. It's so unneccessary. Anyway I spliced the adapter to the radio harness, attached the little tray thingy I also got from Crutchfield and plugged it all in. I pulled my truck next to it and connected some jumper cables to the battery cables to give my car some power. Well only one speaker was working and that was the drivers door. I'll have to do some troubleshooting when I get around to swapping those 6 1/2 speaker pods into the doors.

While I had the cables hooked up to the car I tested some stuff since I've replaced all the wiring behind the dash. My passenger side window did not work with either switch and it used to. Have to do some looking into that. Everything else seemed to work. Last time I put some power to the car I had forgotten to screw down a ground and funky shit started happening. That problem seems to be cured.

What's bothering me the most is my supermonitor display did nothing. I know everything is plugged in that should be so I'm a bit concerned about that. Well I say everthing is plugged in but there is no ECU in the car right now. Unless there is somekind of grounding effect in the ecu I don't see why the display won't at least light up.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Ken, Don't be too concerned over the SM until you have it all put together. I'm not sure how it is is powered, but it may very well get power from that ecu. Glad to hear that your other problem is acting better.

I wish my radio plug were not cut.

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just read through this. Great build! I'm a local in Red Oak for the time being. Good to see another local Supra owner.

BTW...still have that voltmeter from the 89+? I could use it to replace my non-working boost gauge...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Jo3f1sh said:
Just read through this. Great build! I'm a local in Red Oak for the time being. Good to see another local Supra owner.

BTW...still have that voltmeter from the 89+? I could use it to replace my non-working boost gauge...

Yeah, I still have it. I'm looking at it on the desk right now. If interested just pm me. I work at DFW and will be there tomorrow.

Last edited:

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
the super monitor works off the ecu (thats how you get the trouble codes off it).i wouldnt worry about it.

edit:you NEED to clean that garage up lol...make room for the supra.and its more enjoyable when you have a clean area to work in.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
LOL, the garage got away from me. Once I get the engine in and all the other parts then it will be easier to clean up. I've never been that organized before anyway. If I clean it all up then I'm lost.

My supermonitor display did not even light up with anything. I kind of at least expected the clock to come on.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
I went to the salvage yard this morning and scored some 89+ moldings. It was 28 degrees outside while taking them off. I'm surprised I didn't break them. I'll edit with some pics later. It's still freaking cold outside.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Just watched the video Ken! First off, you aren't suicidal are you?????? You sounded a little depressed there! Second thought was..........Forget you ever had a garage, there is no end once you get that many parts in there. I have a carport that is worse than that, and a shed you can fur two cars in that is totally useless now. I don't believe there is any hope for ever using either of those again.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
ForcedTorque said:
Just watched the video Ken! First off, you aren't suicidal are you?????? You sounded a little depressed there! Second thought was..........Forget you ever had a garage, there is no end once you get that many parts in there. I have a carport that is worse than that, and a shed you can fur two cars in that is totally useless now. I don't believe there is any hope for ever using either of those again.

LOL! Suicidal? Not hardly. Depressed over my lack of progress, motivation and crappy weather, maybe. One reason I probably sound like that is I don't like to narrate to a camera and I didn't want the neighbors to hear me. I catch a lot of hell (all in good fun of course) over my Supra obsession. Most of the crap in my garage is boxes from parts I've had delivered. I keep telling myself it will look better in there once I get the motor in, but then I remember I'll a GE engine to deal with taking up space.:nono: Hoping to have a garage I can actually park a car in seems to be futile.

Linc- Hurry up with those seats. I want to see some pics. BTW, the moldings I got this morning came from the same car those seats did.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Man I wish I had known you needed 89 moldings. I had my old ones I'm trying to find a home for sooner or later. I'm gonna go snap some pics in a bit of my freshly painted interior pieces and hopefully the seats will be cleaned to!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Bluechulappa said:
Man I wish I had known you needed 89 moldings. I had my old ones I'm trying to find a home for sooner or later. I'm gonna go snap some pics in a bit of my freshly painted interior pieces and hopefully the seats will be cleaned to!

Well CRAP! I'd have happily traded the delivery for those! I don't actually need them per se but just wanted them. I think they'll be easier to deal with when the car eventually get's painted.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
OMG Ken you need a parts for sale thread!!!:biglaugh:

If your looking for motivation decide if you want to drive a Supra or your truck to the Texas meet in a couple months.

At least now I know who I am going to hit up for a few odds and ends I will need this summer when I am putting my car back together.:icon_bigg

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
gtsfirefighter said:
Well CRAP! I'd have happily traded the delivery for those! I don't actually need them per se but just wanted them. I think they'll be easier to deal with when the car eventually get's painted.

Uhh oh bad news ken. I was cleaning the seats and I did the drivers side first. I used resolve carpet cleaner then I tried to stem clean them. The drivers seat turned out good. I did the same to the passenger seat and the steam seemed to make the brown spots more bold and big. I was like WTF! It looks nasty now but I can prolly clean it up another day. I got the drivers seat in which is all I truely cared about. Looks good. I've got a surprise for you on my build thread later! :naughty:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Bluechulappa said:
Uhh oh bad news ken. I was cleaning the seats and I did the drivers side first. I used resolve carpet cleaner then I tried to stem clean them. The drivers seat turned out good. I did the same to the passenger seat and the steam seemed to make the brown spots more bold and big. I was like WTF! It looks nasty now but I can prolly clean it up another day. I got the drivers seat in which is all I truely cared about. Looks good. I've got a surprise for you on my build thread later! :naughty:

Ugh! Hate to hear that. But I'm confident you'll be able to clean it up. Maybe after it dries out the spots will fade out. I'll keep an eye on your thread.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well I have no pictures to back up what I did today so you'll just have to take my word for it. I pushed the car back in preparation to pull the engine. Then I got sidetracked and started messing with the stereo and I replaced the speaker in the drivers door with a 6.5 infinity. I'll try to do the other one tomorrow. Here's what I wanted to do today. Pull the drive shaft and remove the transmission mount. Disconnect exhaust and remaining ground wires. Didn't happen.:3d_frown:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
It's easy as hell to skip a plan to lay under the car. My least favorite part of working on my car is jacking that son of a bitch up and getting stands placed. What you had planned requires jacking up both ends of the car for VERY little actual work. You may as well break loose the fuel lines while you are under there and pull the nuts off the motor mounts too. You will feel much closer once those few little things are done.

Did you at least break your shifter loose while you had the stereo bezel pulled???????