What in the hell have I gotten myself into?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Well it starts here
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39828

So now I guess I'll start a build/rebuild thread. First off, when I went to pick up the engine, I was told there was an argument over what they were selling the engine to me for. One guy was pissed over the amount and took the turbo off and fucking hid it! I got it back but what pisses me off is that it was taken apart already so since I didn't do it, I have no idea which nuts and bolts are what. On top of that a bunch of sensors were broken as well as the wiring harness getting jacked up in some places. The guy who quoted me the price felt bad so I ended up getting the oil cooler and lines, the igniter and a few brakets for 25 bucks. Anyway, it looks like I got my work cut out for me. I have modest intentions, probably boring to you guys. But my plans are to rebuild with stock internals and maybe just upgrade the turbo to 57 trim. I'm not looking to push it over 300 hp since I have an A340e. I just want more power then my GE. One of the reasons I sold my 85 Celica GT-S to get a supra was because I got my ass handed to me by some skanky bitch in a Corsica. Well I don't believe my GE would do much better. Here are some pics.
First is my baby sitting in the driveway-
p551810_1.jpg

Engine in the back of my truck- I don't have a hoist yet to move it. I'll have to rent one I guess
p551810_2.jpg

p551810_3.jpg

p551810_4.jpg

Parts that were removed by the dickhead at junkyard
sm_photo_missing.jpg

My current good running, no code throwing 7MGE
p551810_5.jpg

I have no idea how long it will take me to do this. This thread will probably die off before I'm finished, but I'll take pics along the way. It's learn as I go.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Finally got the engine out of my truck today. I bought an engine hoist from Pepboys and lifted it out. I still have so much junk in my garage from moving in recently I just had to move it all around.
p557012_1.jpg

p557012_2.jpg

Look at the flywheel. I don't believe that is normal is it?
p557012_3.jpg

Here's my 85 GT-S. Forgot this pic was in my photobucket. She was nice wasn't she?
p557012_4.jpg

Hope to start tearing down the engine this weekend to see what condition it's in.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Good luck with your swap. It shouldn't be too hard on you. I used to have a black MKII so I want to be in yours and Scotts new club.............:biglaugh:

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
That's not cool, whoever sold that to you didn't point it out in the first place? They must have know the block was busted if the tranny was off before you bought it!

I would look for a cheap used block, I'm pretty sure that one of the bolt holes for your bellhousing is gone, this could lead to a bunch of issues and there is no sense in putting a bunch of money into rebuilding that block just to be paranoid about it failing everytime you stand on it (but that is just my opinion, do what you like).

Short story about a buying a bad engine:

Once when I was young and foolish I trusted a guy who had a "newly rebuilt" SB Chevy for sale, he even had it in a car running for me when I came to look at it. Well it turns out that he had disconnected the oil light ('70s technology), so when I installed it without doing an inspection teardown (shame on me), it had no oil pressure, spun bearing, cracked block. Guys states that I must have done something wrong, no refund, get what you paid for, blah, blah, blah.

So late one night a buddy and I return the engine (just the block actually) to this guys house, only we leave it on the front porch leaning against his screen door. Then we go around to the back of his house and weld his backdoor shut! Have a nice day, asshole.

Good luck with the rest of your build.
Matt

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well things have changed. Along came an 87 Turbo and threw a wrench into my plans. For those of you who haven't seen my other thread titled "Gay Blue Turbo" I'll repost the pictures in this thread since anything else concerning the car(s) will be posted here. I bought this for parts but have pretty much decided to fix it since it's still so straight and it cleaned up very well on the inside and out. Of course it will need a new hatch and I will replace the front bumper. On the "niceness" scale, it really doesn't compare to my gray 89, but there is something about this car that draws me to it, maybe the challenge to resurrect it, I don't know. This will be a drop in and go, I won't have to worry about swapping the electronics and such. I peeked under the car today and it has 20 years of grime and shit but appears to be all intact and of course no rust. My dilemma is my gray car. As nice as it is, it is not without it's own issues, a bunch of stupid little shit that annoys me really, that's all, but what am I going to do with it??? We'll see... Here are the pics of the 87. There's quite a few so sorry dial-ups, I feel your pain. Oh, my plans you ask?? Well, being the boring guy that I am I will keep it stock except the exhaust. It will get a 3in elbow, downpipe and exhaust for sure. It will need new struts, but I don't think I'm going with the TEMS due to cost. I'll strip the sawblades and see what condition they're in and then decide on wheels later. New paint on hatch and bumpers. I'll put new leather on the steering wheel, nice Supra floor mats, other interior sprucing. Misc other stuff (meaning I don't really have a clue!) Pics in next post...

Last edited: