What do you think about Eagle Rods

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
IJ. said:
Actually no I don't agree and that's the point I'm trying to make....

If you make LARGE changes yes it makes a difference but 100 grams these AREN'T class race cars where you're trying to beat the next guy by fractions of a second.

I have nothing against using a cheaper part if available and it's proven (Nate's Eagles for instance) but to try and justify a purchase based on 100 gram difference in weight is a total wank and is misleading in that people will now run around turning into weight weanies and try and shave off grams..... ;)

i never stated that the eagles were worth buying over the pauters or crowers because of weight. however, its another small avenue to be explored while searching for the best suited pieces to build your particular engine with.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
IJ. said:
Actually no I don't agree and that's the point I'm trying to make....

If you make LARGE changes yes it makes a difference but 100 grams these AREN'T class race cars where you're trying to beat the next guy by fractions of a second.

I have nothing against using a cheaper part if available and it's proven (Nate's Eagles for instance) but to try and justify a purchase based on 100 gram difference in weight is a total wank and is misleading in that people will now run around turning into weight weanies and try and shave off grams..... ;)
lol and mind you where all driving a tank of a car you wont feel it:biglaugh: i think im going to mount a turret on the roof... get rid of sunday drivers

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
IJ. said:
Wow talk about overjustifying a purchase......

There's maybe 100 grams difference in weight from memory.

You saved $$$ no need to try and make everyone believe that 100 grams is going to make any measurable difference at all in a street motor.

So you don't like my titanium then? :icon_razz

zbaVR4

Jul 18, 2007
SB, CA
"Rod Weights per rod:
[*]Crower Rods: 639 grams[*]Eagle Rods: 550 grams[*]Pauter Rods: 675 grams[/list

Weight between all 4 rods:
[*]Crowers vs.Pauters : .39lbs or 144 grams[*]Crowers vs. Eagles: .95lbs or 356 grams[*]Pauter vs. Eagles: 1.34lbs or 500 grams[/list]
In the first set, the Crowers weigh 144 grams less than pauter rods, the Pauters weight almost half a pound more..ouch!

In the second set, the eagles weight almost 1 lb less than the crowers!

The third set, the Eagles weigh almost 1 and a half pounds less, I feel bad for the suckers that think bigger is better!

Total Weight between all 4 rods:
[*]Crowers: 6.85lbs or 2556 grams[*]Eagles: 5.9lbs or 2200 grams[*]Pauters: 7.23lbs or 2700 grams[/list]
As you can see, the pauter rods are quite heavier than both the other rods shown here, they are mostly built for guys making serious power, I was quoted that the pauter rods would handle well over 1100hp, thats phuqin nuts! But for a street car, the advantage goes to the eagle rods. Hope this helps.."

Got this from DSM source...

Granted they are rods from a 4g63 6 bolt.

Imo every gram counts. Even if they are 100 grams less(where did you get that info?) that is 1.3 lbs total + after they get machined/balanced that is even more. In rotational mass that is huge. Getting this technical we may as well talk about windage losses. The pauter design 'seems' more efficient(mainly rod shaft) in that category, but who knows it could be worse?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The Eagle/Pauter was closer to 100 gram difference between the 2 from memory....... do you really think 100 grams across a 6" rod is going to effect the PMoI in any way that you'd notice in a street car?

NOT A RACE CAR :nono:

zbaVR4

Jul 18, 2007
SB, CA
Not on its own, but every little piece adds up.
lightened:
1.crank
2.rods
3.pistons
4.cam/cam gears/heads
5.flywheel
6.crank pulley
7.drivetrain/transaxle, etc.

i think it would be night and day.. :)

edit: Think of it this way... When you are in the process of lightening your car do you think a cruise control module is going to make a huge impact? No... But its cumulative. When you have performance/efficiency on mind you can't think of one area. You have to paint a bigger picture.

Last edited:

zbaVR4

Jul 18, 2007
SB, CA
more info... Wow i was shooting in the dark about the windage losses! :D

"There is a rod article in the current issue of Racecar Engineering (a UK publication) where they talk about the + cross design. I'll quote a section of it here.....

" The clean, windage-reducing configuration of it's cross section rods is said to eliminate non-uniform cross sections over the entire length of the beam, improving resistance to crack-induced metal fatigue and lessening stress by an increase in material in critical transition areas."

Pauter is the company and they are associated with Arias Pistons. These particular rods are made from E4340 vacuum re-melt chrome moly forgings, entirely CNC machined, heat treated to RC 36 and fully shot peened. MSP220 steel is used in the J form rolled thread bolts and cap alignment sleeves.

The article discusses the top names in Europe and the States but Eagle is not mentioned. That is not to demean Eagle as this was an article about the cream of the cream rod mfgrs in F1, WRC, etc."

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
zbaVR4 said:
Not on its own, but every little piece adds up.
lightened:
1.crank
2.rods
3.pistons
4.cam/cam gears/heads
5.flywheel
6.crank pulley
7.drivetrain/transaxle, etc.

i think it would be night and day.. :)

edit: Think of it this way... When you are in the process of lightening your car do you think a cruise control module is going to make a huge impact? No... But its cumulative. When you have performance/efficiency on mind you can't think of one area. You have to paint a bigger picture.

exactly my point. everything adds up, and ESPECIALLY when that weight is slung directly by the crank. looseing sprung weight like that pays dividends for responce.

taid79

RWD
Sep 29, 2005
California
I don't which would be better over the other but I can tell you this much, I'm currently building my bottom end now and I ended up getting JE pistons & Eagle rods. About the Eagle rods, make sure you have them checked. As far as balancing, it looks like some of them may require some material being shaved off, this was the case for me. I forgot to have my big ends cause from the box they look realy nice. As I was checking the torque on the bolts, I found them to be torqued at 33-36 ft/lbs, when the spec saids 43 ft/lbs. I'm thinking about contacting Eagle tomorrow. Good luck! :biglaugh:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Just for the record, I don't mean to say that I justify my purchase of Eagles over Pauters or Crowers or whatever, based solely on the weight.

The Pauters are stronger than the Eagles, and come out with better tolerances, period.

The Eagles just happened to still be stronger than what I was looking for - and at a better price point (which honestly, after I pay to have them re-machined and VERIFIED matching weights, will cut into that savings pretty well).

Will the weight matter that much? Rod vs rod, no. As a total package? Well, then it could matter a bit - but honestly, as long as the rod is as strong as you need it to be, then use whatever you are most comfortable with, based on your own research.

Personally, I would never have thought to use Ti rods, due to the brittleness of Ti - but GM has evidently decided that Ti rods can be used, and warrantied, in a vehicle (LS7) - so maybe my thinking was wrong on that ;)

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
I don't know about Eagle rods for Toyota's, but I've used eagle rods in my Volkswagen in my type 4 build and they are super strong. So i don't see why they would be any different for any other application. Plus why not save a few bucks? :bigthumb:

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i personaly am looking at saving weight , i think a light weight well balenced motor will spin safely to the sky and hopefully make tons of power and be a fun drift car,

i removed a pound and a half in my current motor and run the aluminum flywheel and like the snappy throttle i feel it rev's up faster under boost.,

the motor im building will be a drift mkii so if she goes i'll find out why.. and i'll be kicking my self :biglaugh: with a grin on my face

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
zbaVR4 said:
"Rod Weights per rod:
[*]Crower Rods: 639 grams[*]Eagle Rods: 550 grams[*]Pauter Rods: 675 grams[/list

Hmm........
I just went through 2 sets of Eagle rods I have here in stock,
and they all weighed in the 612 gram range.:confused:

And does anyone have the stock rod weight?

zbaVR4

Jul 18, 2007
SB, CA
If you didn't know... thoes spec's are for a 4g63 6 bolt..

What else do you have in stock??!! :) :)
thanks for weighing!
how close were they to eachother? +/- 2 grams?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
upgradedsupra said:
Not here 1J Shhhh :biglaugh:

I can't take pics like Nate said....Hmmm

Duane

Buy a fiber optic cam and go down the dipstick hole, or pull the motor out, but either way we want pics! Oh, and you better post the weight too....