What do I need for 450rwhp in high altitude?

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
Zumtizzle;919297 said:
Eagle Rods aren't really worth it in my opinion. I've spoken with adjuster and the stock rods are plenty strong with ARP Hardware and prep work. Save a few bucks, and stick with the proven.

Thanks guys! But I plan to use the Aem so I could upgrade later to maybe 700rwhp. I was planning to use the stock turbo because I wanted to get use to higher power. lol Like I said Im new:icon_bigg Also I read on the Supra store package about the eagle rods being able to hold 800hp is that true?

Thanks again guys, you guys rock!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nick M;918751 said:
Not quite. Since the air is less dense, power is lost.

not on a turbo car...

it will make the same boost regardless, but will be more laggy.

To answer Joe's issue, if the sensor that detects altitude changes is't working correctly, then you might have an issue. You have a boost controller, dunno if that would cause the issue though...

This is the reason that mildly modded supras can beat vipers, corvettes, ect at high altitude, the wastegate doesn't care what the altitude is, it's looking for a specific pressure...

88targarose

Got Boredom?
Apr 7, 2005
Albuq, NM
www.turboninjas.com
Poodles;920225 said:
This is the reason that mildly modded supras can beat vipers, corvettes, ect at high altitude, the wastegate doesn't care what the altitude is, it's looking for a specific pressure...

That is also the reason that everything seems to have boost up here (5280ft Elevation). We've got Twin Turbo Vipers, Turbo SE-R Spec V's, Turbo'd C6's and so on.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'll just throw the concepts of absolute pressure, gauge pressure and atmospheric pressure into this thread.

Gauge pressure is what will be shown on your boost gauge. Gauge pressure is referenced to the atmospheric pressure. So this is absolute minus atmospheric.

Atmospheric pressure is the air outside and this changes with altitude.

Absolute pressure is where the zero condition is a perfect vacuum. Therefore this is equal to gauge plus atmospheric.

The question now becomes, what type of pressure affects the wastegate. I will consider a situation where the boost pressure is being determined merely by the wastegate spring. This is regulated by vacuum/+ve pressure. Therefore, this is gauge pressure and the gauge will read the same anywhere but at higher altitude, the absolute pressure will be lower.

Atmospheric pressure in Denver 12.2 Psi.
Atmospheric pressure at sea level 14.7 Psi.

Assuming 10 Psi wastegate spring...

Denver = 22.2 Psi
Sea Level = 24.7 Psi

Therefore the intake air is more dense at lower altitude and will make more power.

EDIT: The reason it affects the N/A cars more than turbo cars deals with % difference.

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
super.secret.supra.club;919996 said:
to answer your question, no you do not need a boost cut controller if your running aem ems.

and you might also wanna think about getting cams. 264s' maybe or even 272s'
\
ed.d.

Sawbladz;920359 said:
I'll just throw the concepts of absolute pressure, gauge pressure and atmospheric pressure into this thread.

Gauge pressure is what will be shown on your boost gauge. Gauge pressure is referenced to the atmospheric pressure. So this is absolute minus atmospheric.

Atmospheric pressure is the air outside and this changes with altitude.

Absolute pressure is where the zero condition is a perfect vacuum. Therefore this is equal to gauge plus atmospheric.

The question now becomes, what type of pressure affects the wastegate. I will consider a situation where the boost pressure is being determined merely by the wastegate spring. This is regulated by vacuum/+ve pressure. Therefore, this is gauge pressure and the gauge will read the same anywhere but at higher altitude, the absolute pressure will be lower.

Atmospheric pressure in Denver 12.2 Psi.
Atmospheric pressure at sea level 14.7 Psi.

Assuming 10 Psi wastegate spring...

Denver = 22.2 Psi
Sea Level = 24.7 Psi

Therefore the intake air is more dense at lower altitude and will make more power.

EDIT: The reason it affects the N/A cars more than turbo cars deals with % difference.

Poodles;920225 said:
not on a turbo car...

it will make the same boost regardless, but will be more laggy.

To answer Joe's issue, if the sensor that detects altitude changes is't working correctly, then you might have an issue. You have a boost controller, dunno if that would cause the issue though...

Damn thats a lot of info!:aigo: Thank you

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
wastegate is simplier, doesn't care about ambient pressure, it will open when the pressure in the pipes gets to the proper PSI to push the spring.

The difference is gonna be lag and temp changes like I said, thinner air, faster spinning turbo, hotter air, well you get it.

Has nothing to do with the ambient pressure, the pressure on the spring is pressure on the spring, this is why the system works so well at all altitudes. Keep in mind the first main use for turbos was for airplane engines to counteract this EXACT issue...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Sorry, my comprehension of the workings of a wastegate aren't quite up to par for this conversation. I was just thinking that if all that determined when the wastegate opened was the pressure on the spring, why do you need a pressure source from the intake tract? I can't find a proper explanation of the inner workings of a wastegate actuator. I have Maximum Boost open on my lap and I still can't find a suitable explanation. I hate it when that happens.

I dunno, it's late and I don't want to think about this anymore. I will look back tomorrow and see if I have a better grasp.