What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
The one in my garage is pretty built, has a 4-speed manual with what is like a stage 3 clutch these days. Dad pulled it out of his t/a when he wrapped it around a pole when I was like 5 lol.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
urumudyb.jpg

Performed cps surgery, part 1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I think my CPS is leaking oil I may be buying the rebuild kit on DM to fix it. Is it hard to do? I am afraid of the drilling part mostly.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Ever see 8 tires crammed into a supra? 2 in the passenger seat, 5 in the back, 1 in the spare tire area.
4agutaqa.jpg

Also had all my tools, jack, and 4 jack stands in there plus some valve covers, intake manifold, and a bunch of random crap

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Doat;1947942 said:
I think my CPS is leaking oil I may be buying the rebuild kit on DM to fix it. Is it hard to do? I am afraid of the drilling part mostly.

Without a drill press or something I'd be afraid to ruin the gear. I couldn't order the gear so I had to be super careful. My dealer told me it's been completely discontinued and can't be special ordered. I used my dremel drill press and spent a couple hours very carefully drilling the pin out.

I bought punches, seal drivers and a puller specifically for this job. If you dont have those tools plus a drill press, I'd pay somebody to do the job for you (maybe like me, haha!). If you can source a new gear from Toyota you can be a lot less careful, but if you need to re-use the gear you have to be VERY precise.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Before rebuilding the CPS, why not try just replacing the O ring to see if it's that? It's a simple enough operation to replace the O ring (Just have to set #1 TDC so you don't mess up the timing) and it could well solve the problem for you.

Oh, and for practical... Any hatchback should be able to carry a bunch of stuff. I totally floored my sister with the amount of Ikea shelving that I was able to transport in mine. :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Dan_Gyoba;1947984 said:
Before rebuilding the CPS, why not try just replacing the O ring to see if it's that? It's a simple enough operation to replace the O ring (Just have to set #1 TDC so you don't mess up the timing) and it could well solve the problem for you.

Oh, and for practical... Any hatchback should be able to carry a bunch of stuff. I totally floored my sister with the amount of Ikea shelving that I was able to transport in mine. :D

That should definitely be step #1. Its easy to tell if the internal seal is bad though. There shouldn't be any oil inside the housing. If there is, it's time for the internal rebuild.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I love hatch backs. I fit 4 34 inch mud terrain tires on rims in my 84 and carried someone in my passenger seat

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I did replace the O ring although it was from my head gasket kit so it may not be specifically designed for the CPS now that I think about it.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
suprarx7nut;1948010 said:
Just pop the cover off and check for oil. If you find any oil in the cover/housing its time to replace the inner seal and bearing.

Yea I plan on doing that when I install my boost controller and if it's not leaking inside then I'll order an O ring from the dealer.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Grandavi;1947207 said:
I like that. Is that built from scratch? Where will it sit?

4"x4"x0.25" aluminum square tube, 4"x1/8" bar stock cut to size, a Vibrant cap and bung, TIG welded by my favorite local welder, then powdercoated in Anodize silver. Added the push connect fittings (1/4" NPT) and cad plated bolts.

It fits beside the radiator, where the stock battery is. I think all together I'm into it for around $100, so not really profitable to make them. I strongly suggest anyone that needs a part like this, try making it yourself, it's not that hard. The place I bought the metal from will cut everything to length. The only labor I put into it was drilling and tapping the holes for fittings, using a hole saw for the cap, and sanding the corners of the plate and deburring prior to welding. For an off the shelf canister like this you are probably looking at a minimum of $100, so why not have something a bit custom that you can say you made yourself?