What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Google Supra COP mod, it will lead you to the thread. Lays it all out and explains it. Fairly certain with a standalone system it removes the wasted spark firing order to help prevent spark blowout too, but I haven't researched it much yet.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I already planned on researching it but my mind is no state to handle that because I am running off of 3hrs of sleep and last night was a friend's birthday, so yeaaa lol

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Contemplating what to do with my poor old 7M. Has a nasty tick/knock, burns oil, idles lumpy, been overheating although a thermostat seems to have fixed that.

Not sure if it would be better to try to save mine or swap in a jdm counterpart. Roughly the same cost in the end. Time vs Money.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Shane;1947773 said:
Not sure if it would be better to try to save mine or swap in a jdm counterpart.
Devil you know > Devil you don't.

That said, I replaced my 7M-GE for blowing a coolant hose (Still running great, but burnt lots of oil through 490,000+ km valve stem seals) but that was in order to move to a 7M-GTE.

A JDM counterpart will cost more, unless you're just going to drop it in with no work done. I do NOT recommend this, as JDM engine condition will be an unknown. The only way that this will save time is if you rebuild it while continuing to live with tick/knock and lumpy idle, but running, but it will cost money to have any peace of mind dropping this in.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
got another rubber cover for my clutch pedal have been without one for like 3 years lol since the original one wore through

it sucked if my shoe was ever wet

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
BrandonW;1947787 said:
got another rubber cover for my clutch pedal have been without one for like 3 years lol since the original one wore through

it sucked if my shoe was ever wet
Been there lol I got pissed off enough one night and got a replacement pad from rockauto then later on I freaking found the original one in my damn trunk of all places wedged in between the spare tire.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Dan_Gyoba;1947776 said:
Devil you know > Devil you don't.

Quite true. There is also the ever present urge (as a redneck at heart) to somehow stuff that '73 Pontiac 400ci + trans sitting in my garage, into my poor little Supra. Lol but I think the best solution would be getting another 7M to rebuild while mine slowly dies. It still has tons of power just sounds really bad and idles funky.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Shane;1947831 said:
Quite true. There is also the ever present urge (as a redneck at heart) to somehow stuff that '73 Pontiac 400ci + trans sitting in my garage, into my poor little Supra. Lol but I think the best solution would be getting another 7M to rebuild while mine slowly dies. It still has tons of power just sounds really bad and idles funky.

Check your valve adjustment and do a compression test. You may just b hearing abnormal amounts of lifter tick, and burning oil thru worn valve seals. Never know, you may have a more solid motor right now then you think.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
hey. my car smokes sometimes, idles rough sometimes, and has had a noise at around 2200rpm for the last 2 years. even with all that it runs strong, and just put down 270/370 with only minor mods. when it dies i'll build another motor.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Supraguy7M;1947850 said:
Check your valve adjustment and do a compression test. You may just b hearing abnormal amounts of lifter tick, and burning oil thru worn valve seals. Never know, you may have a more solid motor right now then you think.

Sounds like a good idea. I may look into the valves and compression while I'm doing my water pump next weekend.

gsxr141;1947856 said:
hey. my car smokes sometimes, idles rough sometimes, and has had a noise at around 2200rpm for the last 2 years. even with all that it runs strong, and just put down 270/370 with only minor mods. when it dies i'll build another motor.

Sounds about right, 2200-2800 and more pronounced when warm and varies with throttle.

A "tinish" rattle/ticking sound.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Shane;1947859 said:
Sounds about right, 2200-2800 and more pronounced when warm and varies with throttle.

A "tinish" rattle/ticking sound.[/QUOTE

Definitely sounds like lifters to me. I'm not an expert though. A more pronounced thump/knock would b lower end. Tinish sort of ticking sound sound seems like it would b in the valvetrain.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
New rims and tires
y9agube7.jpg

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
Well I just got a new drive shaft (not aluminum :cry:) in the mail so I put that in. When I lowered the car my muffler sat right down on top of a can of PB blaster and sprayed it everywhere, which was... dumb...

Ooooo and I wired in this pretty new head unit :naughty:
head unit in car.jpg

and here's a pic of my soup
up on jacks.jpg