What color rims with my black mk3?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so my exterior is pretty much stock equipped with sawblades. robbeats really inspired me to get some late model mk3 wheels and get them powercoated...that will be complimented by my drop once my suspension crap comes in...what color do you think should go with my black paint? i was thinking bronzish. good idea? any comments and suggestions and pictures are appreciated

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
someting to set off the trim...id say a gunmetal. hell, why not get em powdered a deep deep color and make a scheme for your car. go with a real deep blue or green or red

or what about white?

basically, its your choice (but i hear yellow gives you +3 hp)

all jokes aside, id go gunmetal or bronze

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
Clip said:
basically, its your choice (but i hear yellow gives you +3 hp)

i was gonna reply the same thing but i think it's yellow stickers that are +3hp, i think yellow wheels is more like +10/wheel

i like the black spokes with a posished lip on black cars, gun metal is good too though. i guess it really does boil down to what you like since it is your car... so you should do what you want not what we think you should do...

ross

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
well i just wanted some input. i did want the black with the polished lip but im not to familiar with how to do that and will cost me more if i tell the powdercoating dude to do it

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
i think polishing is fairly easy just a pita, get some kinda fine sandpaper (1000 grit) and then some finer like 6000 and have at it until your satisfied then take some mothers (or other) wheel polish and do that up till you like the shine, then put some wax over the metal and take them to the powder coater and have hime tape off the lip and powder coat the rest of the rim.

i think?? this may not be the best way but i think this is what i read befroe on how to polish

ross

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Gunmetal...You know you want to...hehe :naughty:

Actually, on a black car, a gold/bronze color may set it off quite right, maybe something like this?
advanrcIIRSD1.jpg

If you decide not to have them powdercoated, Dylan (cwapface) has a rockin' paint your wheels how-to in the Reference section, which may save you some money--however, if I had it to do over again, I'd have them powdercoated, as long as they could do the color I wanted...

Personally I'd recommend against black, because the black of the rim will never quite match the black of the rubber unless you put tire shine on every 3rd day. Unless you went with a flat black--that would be sweet, but most likely a pain to keep clean...

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm an asshole. Black rims would probably look pretty sweet if you had a polished lip (or even just a machined uncoated lip) to break up the black of the rim and the black of the tire. Just a thought...

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
well the powdercoating isnt gonna cost me much. im gettin it done for a hundred bucks...ill see if i can pull off that black with the shiny lip idea, but i doubt it...unless someone knows a way to do it..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i say a deep offset 17 or 18x10" pair in the rear and a 17 or 18x 8.5 or 9" in the front

colors... bronze w/ a polished lip looks REALLY good on black cars.... gunmetal w/ a polished lip would also look nice... and 5 spoke wheels always look good on mk3's :D

NickSupra

Apr 6, 2005
tn
you have so many options with black. Silver and gold look good, even chrome. I personally like the black with a polished lip.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
That really gives the Supra the "Knight Rider-ish" look. Not knocking it - actually I say that picture above looks great. When I was getting my rims painted white I was asked if I wanted to get the polished lip.

Powdercoating the rims and going for the polished lip should be easy. Just tape off the part you don't want to get the PC on and go.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
my car is black. i have gunmetal wheels. no, you can't see pics. my car looks like it fell from the ass of a sheetmetal-eating rhinoserous. :(

(it needs paint)

-shaeff