Whale Wars - hypocrytical?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tlo86;1502404 said:
sweet, maybe we should smoke and drink and eat fried chicken every day til the day we die too

why not?

people do it all the time? A choice.

How you CHOOSE to live YOUR life is up to you. No one else.

Want to stuff 2 triples with cheese three times a day. Go for it.
Drink a fifth of your favorite spirit twice a day? More power to you.

I am with Dirgle on this one.

If a planetary extinction happens tommorow......I am dead and at that point, it does not matter anymore ;) I live for today and hopefully what I tommorow but I am happy TODAY.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I stand firmly with SC and Dirgle. Not much I can say beyond that...

Although I do think the hippies are crazy. Then again, there are those who feel lost or have no direction without a goal or fight to win.

Edit: And figgie. lol

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
In for some BBQ whale with a side of home fries. $5 says it tastes good.

Why are they not attacking tuna/crab/lobster/ect boats? What makes a whale so damn special but not others? They taste good thats why!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ms07s;1502492 said:
In for some BBQ whale with a side of home fries. $5 says it tastes good.

Why are they not attacking tuna/crab/lobster/ect boats? What makes a whale so damn special but not others? They taste good thats why!

And this is why I'm interested in trying some...

If they tasted like shit we'd be overrun with them and people would support culling their numbers.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;1502525 said:
blubber is nasty...

7f11-big.jpg

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
The blubber is an insulator for the cold ocean enviroment. It has to have some serious muscle structure to move all that through the water. The meaty goodness is deeper....mmmm, meaty goodness. :yum:

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
with Regards to the seal hunt:

Canada's Governor General; Michaelle Jean visited Nunavit last May during a seal hunt. She ate some raw seal heart, with her hands.

gg-arctic-char-cp-6765589.jpg

Ms. Jean is now one of the few politicians that has earned my whole-hearted respect. Somebody that has been hired/voted to represent the people is....guess what? representing the people!!1 How freaking amazing is that??

Would I eat raw seal? hell no, doesn't look to appetizing to me.
Would I club one? probably not, if I had to I would.
Do other people do it to survive? Hell yes.

The Inuit have been doing it for thousands of years, successfully, sustainably without waste. It's part of their culture, part of their heritage. You can't get much more Canadian than that! hell yeah, have your seal hunt! I'd help you if I was closer. It's not a game to them, it's life. How the hell is it the UK's (or the rest of Canada for that matter) right to tell them it's wrong??

It's just a damn shame that ms. jean got a lot of flak for her actions, and the online polls of Canadians show that most of us didn't like what she did. I guess most of my fellow countrymen are idiots. That's a shame.

This whole situation falls right into the whale whores skit, Maybe everybody should slaughter millions of chickens and cows every year to be normal. That's the right thing to do....

Bravo to you, Governor General!

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Dirgle;1502274 said:
I'm the opposite, I have trouble understanding the attachment people have to life in all its variety (this is entirely a personal point of view and I do understand this). People seem to want to preserve a snapshot of life. They seem to want the creatures that exist now to exist forever. However life, by the very characteristics that define it, is about change. The creatures that exist today are not the creatures that will exist several hundred millennia from now. People are so worried about a species disappearing from this earth, when it's a near absolute that the species will, at some point in the future, with or with out human intervention, disappear. All things have a beginning and all things have an end. I have seen whales up close and agree that they are extraordinary creatures. I don't see them as food and from a personal stand point I see no reason to harm them. But I have a difficult time justifying an emotional claim in their survival, as 'mother nature' has killed more species for no reason, than humanity could ever hope to accomplish.

I understand that this is a very cold view point, and that most people would not agree with me. I am fine with this.

It is a cold point of view. Whats it got to do with you... nothing, so you don't care. great! If everyone was like this, we would have one screwed up world. I have no intention of making you change your view, as you clearly couldn't care, but I'm going to use your post to bounce a few ideas around.

I totally agree that millions of species have reach extinction through natural selection, chance events and natural prediation. As speices evolve, the old ones die off, hence evolution. Mass extinctions have also occured due to metorite impacts, massive volcanic eruptions and the rising and falling of sea levels over a period of a billion years.

However, did you know that over that period of time until about 50,000 years ago (the time which Homo Sapians dispersed out of Africa), the number of different speices on the plant didn't change very much. Yes, it fluctuated over time and a very large amount when mass extincitons occured, but it has been somewhat stable?
Did you know since Homo Sapians dispersed across the globe the number of total spieces has actually dropped? Thats because humans have sped up the process of extinction. Species haven't be able to evolve well enough to the changes we have created and have died. Or in the case of whales, we are hunting them to the point they can't reproduce quick enough to replace what we take.

Think about it.

Yes... we are a spieces to and we have evolved quicker then other speices, blah blah blah... But do we have the right to change the entire plant for our sole benifit? This is a bit like Avatar, did the humans have the right to destory the home of the native people of pandora just to mine some mineral?

It's partly the reason why I loved Avatar so much, it showed in the purest form what humans are like.
"This isn't mine, but I want it and have the power to take it and I don't care what I have to do to get it, even if the ethics behind it are totally wrong."

Tire Shredder;1502558 said:
with Regards to the seal hunt:

Canada's Governor General; Michaelle Jean visited Nunavit last May during a seal hunt. She ate some raw seal heart, with her hands.

gg-arctic-char-cp-6765589.jpg

Ms. Jean is now one of the few politicians that has earned my whole-hearted respect. Somebody that has been hired/voted to represent the people is....guess what? representing the people!!1 How freaking amazing is that??

Would I eat raw seal? hell no, doesn't look to appetizing to me.
Would I club one? probably not, if I had to I would.
Do other people do it to survive? Hell yes.

The Inuit have been doing it for thousands of years, successfully, sustainably without waste. It's part of their culture, part of their heritage. You can't get much more Canadian than that! hell yeah, have your seal hunt! I'd help you if I was closer. It's not a game to them, it's life. How the hell is it the UK's (or the rest of Canada for that matter) right to tell them it's wrong??

It's just a damn shame that ms. jean got a lot of flak for her actions, and the online polls of Canadians show that most of us didn't like what she did. I guess most of my fellow countrymen are idiots. That's a shame.

This whole situation falls right into the whale whores skit, Maybe everybody should slaughter millions of chickens and cows every year to be normal. That's the right thing to do....

Bravo to you, Governor General!

This is the most important part of your post....

"The Inuit have been doing it for thousands of years, successfully, sustainably without waste."

and just incase you missed it, I'll do it again

"The Inuit have been doing it for thousands of years, successfully, sustainably without waste."

The Japanese are not hunting whales sustainbly. They are hunting them in international convseration area, their breeding grounds. Why don't we just nuke the place to speed up the process of killing the whales, coz that is essetially whats going to happen.

I don't have a problem at all with whaling. People need food to live, and some people want to eat whale, good on them. My problem is with it being done in an unsustrainable mannar and in the breeding grounds of the whales which are protected by international conservation agreements.

KORYTOYORTA;1501866 said:
I saw a artical about this

here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns/world_news-world_environment/

I have never seen the show, only the southpark version which was awsome, but obviously these people are crazy and not only that they are liers...

From the artical-

"The group accused the Japanese ship of deliberately ramming the Ady Gil."

"Glenn Inwood, a New Zealand-based spokesman for the Institute of Cetacean Research, the Japanese government-linked body that carries out the hunt, disputed Sea Shepherd's account, saying video shot from the whaler showed the conservationists' boat moving toward the whaler just before the collision."

Oh we didnt know the japanese have video camera, is it to late to change are story?

You might not have known... but us Aussies sure as hell did, it was realeased along with the footage from the sea shepard.

The Bob Barker footage clearly shows that the ady gil is stationary the whole time, and the japanese whaling boat turns into the ady gil.
any footage from the japanese boat is going to look like the ady gil come infront of it. The whaling ship is MASSIVE compared, and being on the ship with it turning at such a slow rate does make it look like the ady gil got in its way.

Watch the video from the japanese ship.... see a wake behind the ady gil? :nono:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
--Golli;1503249 said:
It is a cold point of view. Whats it got to do with you... nothing, so you don't care. great! If everyone was like this, we would have one screwed up world. I have no intention of making you change your view, as you clearly couldn't care, but I'm going to use your post to bounce a few ideas around.

I totally agree that millions of species have reach extinction through natural selection, chance events and natural prediation. As speices evolve, the old ones die off, hence evolution. Mass extinctions have also occured due to metorite impacts, massive volcanic eruptions and the rising and falling of sea levels over a period of a billion years.

However, did you know that over that period of time until about 50,000 years ago (the time which Homo Sapians dispersed out of Africa), the number of different speices on the plant didn't change very much. Yes, it fluctuated over time and a very large amount when mass extincitons occured, but it has been somewhat stable?
Did you know since Homo Sapians dispersed across the globe the number of total spieces has actually dropped? Thats because humans have sped up the process of extinction. Species haven't be able to evolve well enough to the changes we have created and have died. Or in the case of whales, we are hunting them to the point they can't reproduce quick enough to replace what we take.

Think about it.

Yes... we are a spieces to and we have evolved quicker then other speices, blah blah blah... But do we have the right to change the entire plant for our sole benifit? This is a bit like Avatar, did the humans have the right to destory the home of the native people of pandora just to mine some mineral?

It's partly the reason why I loved Avatar so much, it showed in the purest form what humans are like.
"This isn't mine, but I want it and have the power to take it and I don't care what I have to do to get it, even if the ethics behind it are totally wrong."
:

So humanity is an extremely slow extinction level event, so whats your point. The Earth will go on, as it always has, long after were gone.

Dances with Smurfs was nothing more than a bunch of green peace hippie crap warped in pretty visuals so the mass market would buy it. I feel the same way about Avatar as I do about any of Michael Moore's films.

Also these right you talk about are derived from the sanctity of life, please read Supracenteral's George Carlin quote. I'd say that is an effective summary.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
--Golli;1503249 said:

have you ever thought about what happens if you just let everyone do what they do and let them run out??? I'll tell you...eventually this world runs out of food and then...people start dieing as people die animals start to raise in numbers again then as animals rise humans follow its a cycle and it has been doing that since it started...

grass grows on ground, rabbit eats grass, fox eats rabbit, winter comes and grass is gone, rabbits get eatten but no new rabbits, numbers fall, foxes cant find rabbits so numbers fall, spring comes and lots of grass few rabbits and foxes, repeat