Whale Wars - hypocrytical?

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
So, I think this has been discussed before but there's been a new development that I had to share with you.

you may have heard of the Television show "whale wars" on animal planet, where some hippies turn vigilante and fight Japanese whaling ships in international waters.

As I was watching "daily planet" tonight on discovery, I got a good chuckle out of a segment they did on crew. They mentioned how their trans-global race boat; "earth race" that they have been using to battle the japanese was destroyed when a japenese ship rammed the smaller craft.

r495044_2586232.jpg

while simultaneously mentioning this, the camera shows a close up of some nose-art style paintings of ship names and corresponding country flags displayed as kills on the side of the ship. In big block letters above these flags is the title "SUNK".

immediatley after flashing this on the screen, a question is asked of a crew member and he says (with regards to the whalers ramming their earth race ship). , "you don't just ram another vessel in open waters and get away with it!"

I laughed, hard.

i'll post a link if something pops up on youtube.

edit: found this pic.

p1501804_1.jpg

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The people that the Discovery channel exploits for this show are so irrational, fundamentally immoral, and unstable, it defies reason. These people should not have there own show. It frustrates me to even try to talk about them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My folks like the show...

I just walk away shaking my head :3d_frown:

I will admit the Japanese are obviously lying about their actions as only for research. But many of the actions of the people are obviously insane...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Poodles;1501827 said:
I will admit the Japanese are obviously lying about their actions as only for research. But many of the actions of the people are obviously insane...

Couldn't agree more.

Lovesick Siren

Ice Princess
Sep 30, 2005
Georgia
www.myspace.com
I don't agree with any of their practices and don't watch the show, but I have to admit, there is a part of me that's refreshed to see someone who's actually willing to go to the extreme for their beliefs, rather than just ranting about them from the safety of their homes.

It .. would just be better if their approach was less batshit. And didn't break laws. And if the thing they were fighting was just a -little- bit more important. I'm not a fan of whaling, but there are more important issues to flip over.

KORYTOYORTA

Certified
Apr 10, 2008
OXNARD CA
I saw a artical about this

here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns/world_news-world_environment/

I have never seen the show, only the southpark version which was awsome, but obviously these people are crazy and not only that they are liers...

From the artical-

"The group accused the Japanese ship of deliberately ramming the Ady Gil."

"Glenn Inwood, a New Zealand-based spokesman for the Institute of Cetacean Research, the Japanese government-linked body that carries out the hunt, disputed Sea Shepherd's account, saying video shot from the whaler showed the conservationists' boat moving toward the whaler just before the collision."

Oh we didnt know the japanese have video camera, is it to late to change are story?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
No reason at all to kill whales, and It's a sad thing to watch. I give those guys credit for their stand. But I do think paul is freakin crazy.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Better than shark fin fishing...

They fish em up, sut their fins off, and then toss the shark back in the water. They'll since to the bottom and without a way to move will suffocate.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
S.A. supra;1501967 said:
No reason at all to kill whales, and It's a sad thing to watch. I give those guys credit for their stand. But I do think paul is freakin crazy.

How do you justify killing any animal then?

As politically incorrect as it is to say it I'd like to try Whale to see just what the fuss is all about.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
its a political game.

you either support the slaughter of whales or you disagree with it. honestly if you ever saw one up close you would know they are worth having around a while.. people have the ability to make an animal dissappear and its much easier to cause it than to prevent it. there are many more animals that are gonig extinct because of this and nothing happens. if you really look at the big picture the list of living organisms only gets smaller over time.... i'll honestly never understand the mentallity some people have that its not affecting them so fuck it.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I'm the opposite, I have trouble understanding the attachment people have to life in all its variety (this is entirely a personal point of view and I do understand this). People seem to want to preserve a snapshot of life. They seem to want the creatures that exist now to exist forever. However life, by the very characteristics that define it, is about change. The creatures that exist today are not the creatures that will exist several hundred millennia from now. People are so worried about a species disappearing from this earth, when it's a near absolute that the species will, at some point in the future, with or with out human intervention, disappear. All things have a beginning and all things have an end. I have seen whales up close and agree that they are extraordinary creatures. I don't see them as food and from a personal stand point I see no reason to harm them. But I have a difficult time justifying an emotional claim in their survival, as 'mother nature' has killed more species for no reason, than humanity could ever hope to accomplish.

I understand that this is a very cold view point, and that most people would not agree with me. I am fine with this.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Dirgle;1502274 said:
I'm the opposite, I have trouble understanding the attachment people have to life in all its variety (this is entirely a personal point of view and I do understand this). People seem to want to preserve a snapshot of life. They seem to want the creatures that exist now to exist forever. However life, by the very characteristics that define it, is about change. The creatures that exist today are not the creatures that will exist several hundred millennia from now. People are so worried about a species disappearing from this earth, when it's a near absolute that the species will, at some point in the future, with or with out human intervention, disappear. All things have a beginning and all things have an end. I have seen whales up close and agree that they are extraordinary creatures. I don't see them as food and from a personal stand point I see no reason to harm them. But I have a difficult time justifying an emotional claim in their survival, as 'mother nature' has killed more species for no reason, than humanity could ever hope to accomplish.

I understand that this is a very cold view point, and that most people would not agree with me. I am fine with this.

I totally agree with you.

I love my dogs, I love animals and I hate to see them suffer, I really do but people have hunted whales forever. So the Japanese claim it's for research when it's really for food... so what? I really don't care why they do something as long as they efficiently use the dead animal... meat, bones, fat etc. I may not see a reason to hunt whales but maybe someone else has one. Same principle with gun ownership... for example: 'You don't need a gun in a city'... well, you don't need a vehicle in the city but you still have one.

It's the same with the seal hunt in Canada... stupid PETA and even dumber city people are all over that... but they never consider those who actually hunt them for survival and more than just their pelt.

I much rather hunt in the wild than go to the supermarket supporting factory farming.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
George Carlin said:
... Sanctity of life. You believe in it? Personally, I think it's a bunch of shit. Well, I mean, life is sacred? Who said so? God? Hey, if you read history, you realise that God is one of the leading causes of death. Has been for thousands of years. Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians all taking turns killing each other 'cuz God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the land, veangence is mine. Millions of dead motherfuckers. Millions of dead motherfuckers all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question. 'You believe in God?' 'No.' *Pdoom*. Dead. 'You believe in God?' 'Yes.' 'You believe in my God? 'No.' *Poom*. Dead. 'My God has a bigger dick than your God!' Thousands of years. Thousands of years, and all the best wars, too. The bloodiest, most brutal wars fought, all based on religious hatred. Which is fine with me. Hey, any time a bunch of holy people want to kill each other I'm a happy guy.

But don't be giving me all this shit about the sanctity of life. I mean, even if there were such a thing, I don't think it's something you can blame on God. No, you know where the sanctity of life came from? We made it up. You know why? 'Cuz we're alive. Self-interest. Living people have a strong interest in promoting the idea that somehow life is sacred. You don't see Abbott and Costello running around, talking about this shit, do you? We're not hearing a whole lot from Musolini on the subject. What's the latest from JFK? Not a goddamn thing. 'Cuz JFK, Musolini and Abbott and Costello are fucking dead. They're fucking dead. And dead people give less than a shit about the sanctity of life. Only living people care about it so the whole thing grows out of a completely biased point of view. It's a self serving, man-made bullshit story.

It's one of these things we tell ourselves so we'll feel noble. Life is sacred. Makes you feel noble. Well let me ask you this: if everything that ever lived is dead, and everything alive is gonna die, where does the sacred part come in? I'm having trouble with that. 'Cuz, I mean, even with all this stuff we preach about the sanctity of life, we don't practice it. We don't practice it. Look at what we'd kill: Mosquitos and flies. 'Cuz they're pests. Lions and tigers. 'Cuz it's fun! Chickens and pigs. 'Cuz we're hungry. Pheasants and quails. 'Cuz it's fun. And we're hungry. And people. We kill people... 'Cuz they're pests. And it's fun!

And you might have noticed something else. The sanctity of life doesn't seem to apply to cancer cells, does it? You rarely see a bumper sticker that says 'Save the tumors.'. Or 'I brake for advanced melanoma.'. No, viruses, mold, mildew, maggots, fungus, weeds, E. Coli bacteria, the crabs. Nothing sacred about those things. So at best the sanctity of life is kind of a selective thing. We get to choose which forms of life we feel are sacred, and we get to kill the rest. Pretty neat deal, huh? You know how we got it? We made the whole fucking thing up! Made it up! The same way... thank you.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Dirgle;1502274 said:

sweet, maybe we should smoke and drink and eat fried chicken every day til the day we die too

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
If you want to, the choice it yours (yes, I know you're being sarcastic). The body is a machine and like any machine it needs to be taken care of if you want it to last. Self preservation dictates I want to survive as long as I can. To do that I need to take care of my body. Is my survival necessary for the continuation of humanity, Life as a whole or the continuation of the universe. NO. I take care of my self because I choose to exists. IF an Asteroid extinguishes all life on earth tomorrow it makes no difference to me because I'm dead. But until that time I will try to exists as best as I can for the betterment of myself for no one other than myself. An Antelope does the same thing right up until the day the lion kills him. And the lion will continue to exists for as long as it can.