VIN Breakdown

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Is there a guide on what means what on the VIN number? Specifically which digit is turbo/non and is there a digit for transmission?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You might find whether it was a JZ, G, or M car from the vin, but I don't think you will find transmission info on our cars. All Mk3 North American vins will start with JT2MA7. The next digit would either be a 1 or a 0, depending on turbo or naturally aspirated. The 8th digit in the vin, I'm not sure what that signifies on our cars. Mine is a J, have no idea what that means. The rest is plant and serial number.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
If you go to a Toyota dealer and give them your VIN, they can print you out a "build sheet" for free that has what engine and transmission originally came in the car, and what the original exterior and interior color was, along with the production year and month, and a few other things.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
te72;1843458 said:
You might find whether it was a JZ, G, or M car from the vin, but I don't think you will find transmission info on our cars. All Mk3 North American vins will start with JT2MA7. The next digit would either be a 1 or a 0, depending on turbo or naturally aspirated. The 8th digit in the vin, I'm not sure what that signifies on our cars. Mine is a J, have no idea what that means. The rest is plant and serial number.

Well this one has a 0 so I guess I'm over it. We have a Pull and Save junk yard that has insane prices. If it were turbo/5spd I was going to go pickup some new toys.

hvyman;1843669 said:
Diff and trans are on the door jam. If it had r154 it was turbo car.

Yeah I didn't have access to the car, just the VIN

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
te72;1843652 said:
Man, your local dealer must be a lot cooler than ours...

Yeah, they are pretty nice there. The prices are pretty high, but they always have a 10 percent off coupon online, so it isn't really a whole lot more than ordering online after paying for shipping.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
JT2MA70

JT2MA71

Without going through all the coded parts.... 70 and 71 is the series. Not turbo directly, but that is how Toyota used the VIN to identify. M is the engine, A is the chasis. Trans is not in it directly, but it is by serial number from Toyota.