V-mounted MKIII Third times the charm.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Giving me some inspiration here. I have the PWR radiator, and trying to find a fan setup that fits (and flows the CFM needed) with the JZ hasn't been easy. Keeping the car cool in hot ambient temps has been difficult as a result. I'm liking this idea, should open up lot of room for a nice thick fan. Thanks for posting the various pictures man!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
You will get more cooling with the radiator straight up and down plain and simple. I work in the drift scene and see cars with V mount setup's all the time have cooling issues compared to a regular setup.. Although V mount is cool, its not very practical.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
V-mounting is more effective in racing where the car has more forward movement and therefore airflow. Time-attack is a great example of this. In low airflow situations (drift/auto-x/street driving) it becomes a liability.

Drift is extreme in the small amount of airflow the radiator sees vs the power used and rpm's the engine turns at; so fans are relied upon to provide the airflow. They are never enough it seems...

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have heard that the v-mount isn't quite as effective at low speed however I want to try it anyways and we'll find out for sure. I got a few more pics today.
Started cutting on the bumper the other day. Not nearly done yet but it give a general idea:
p1752840_1.jpg

Lots of surface area (radiator on the bottom, intercooler on the top:
p1752840_2.jpg

Here is a pic of the radiator on the car, you can see the mounts pretty well
p1752840_3.jpg

And I've had this for about 1.5 yrs just started riding it, Lots of fun in the twisties. There is something wrong with the carb so it won't idle and is coming back apart tomorrow:
p1752840_4.jpg

p1752840_5.jpg

p1752840_6.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Proper ducting is about the best thing you can do with some very high quality not cheap electric fans. Alumi-tape and the plastic or sheet metal helps TONS! Thats where most V mount setups lack and then start to cause overheating problems. Ducting is key!

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
No I don't want to use ducting. I am going to put all this work into this setup and not actually do it right.:icon_razz lol

There will be ducting as well as full underbody aero ducting and a custom rear diffusser

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks like a fun bike man. As for the "needs aero parts" bit, I think I have that pretty well covered. ;)

However, if I can fit my fan with the radiator, I might just leave well enough alone. Why fix what isn't broken?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Sorry guys I haven't been working on this supra really for the past few weeks. I found a decent shape 1990 on craigslist with a bhg so I picked it up and just got it running last weekend. Only thing left to do is the stereo and a code 14 which I am pretty sure is from the shielding on the main coil plug being pretty much completely gone. haha.
So heres some pics of that, only thing done is a turbo back 3" exhaust, headstuds and mhg
p1763778_1.jpg

p1763778_2.jpg

Also went down to the vintage Japanese car show in long beach and saw a tt 409 small block tucked in a 240z haha, Thought it was cool so heres a pic
p1763778_3.jpg

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I'll have a few updates by next weekend. Thanks for the interest and compliments guys.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
So the Jz is getting parted out and replaced with a tt chevy v-8. If anyone needs parts I am selling everything except the tranny. Look for my for sale thread here. Updates on the v-8 will come in a month once I have some more money to put towards this.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Haha, that Datsun set off a spark? :p

Oh well, was hoping to see how well this all worked out for you, good luck with the V8 build. From what I've seen in this thread it should be interesting. :)