V-mounted MKIII Third times the charm.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I've always had a plan to do a v-8 in this car. I want something that will respond really fast and make a streetable 700hp. It will be easier with 5.3 liters. Plus I'll be able to have a 6 speed and I think I'll be making a new firewall/tranny tunnel to mount this thing back about 6 more inches= better weight displacement

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
Actually id like to retract my previously retarded statements.

This build is epic, seeing properly done v-mounts on supras is super cool and since your 1J went to a good home, why not do it with a 2jz. Super short pipe routes and a 4.5 inch thick core? Huge power potential right there. See what that 2JZ will do before you worry too much about the v8, heh. :D

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Thanks ^
I realized with price of tranny and new clutch, blah, blah, blah it would be cheaper to finish what I've done. Progress has been slow because of school+work+weekend drinking distractions however I have been working on it. I'll try to get a update sometime in the next week.

SPOOLINLUST

Feb 24, 2011
nnj
RiyadYar;1900201 said:
did the vmount setup ever get completed ... nice work
I would like to see that running to! I wanted to do a similar setup but with a water to air intercooler. Go 5.7 liter!!

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I'm stickin with the 2j I had to see how it would run with it. I picked up a refreshed engine and hope to have it running within a week or two. I'll get up some pics this week. Hoping I can get work off through the weekend to finish it.

Anyone know what happened with masterpower? I got this thing years ago it seems, Told it was a t-64. Looking for specs if anyone has em be greatly appreciated.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I had one... IIRC it was considered a t-66... should be good for 700hp... note that I said SHOULD... I dunno how good the housings are on those things... but garret internals... mine had .70 A/R cold and hot (or was it .68 hot?) deffinitely .70 on the cool side.... it's been about 4 yrs since I last saw it before it got stolen....

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
[video=youtube;xKiGmiqT7M0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKiGmiqT7M0[/video]
:evil2:

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Glad, to see you got the thing fired up and moving. I have seen the car in person and the amount of fab work he has done is crazy. Things I would have never thought to do. Sucks about the hood though.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
New pic, took it for a lil test drive and stopped to chat with some friends just at the right time
Supra resized.jpg
Not a looker but I'm modifying drivetrain, wheels/tires, suspension, brakes, then exterior so its goin to take a while before shes all purdy. Building cars on a college kids budget aint fast haha

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Thanks guys, I had this car driving for about 2 months before I pushed the ge/high comp engine with a bit too much boost trying to beat my friends mk4, California pump gas and 18psi was the right combo to spot some aluminum out on the freeway, I blame my ego for that one... I made another hood for it, I'll shoot some pictures when I have some time.
In that time I found the Vmount to work great, I had good intake temps and coolant temps never were a problem, actually airflow through the radiator was too good and I felt the need to divide the flow between the IC and Rad inside the V.
I'm not sure if I will put this car back on the road. Smog laws and registration here in Cali are very difficult for these things, plus the locost/superlight bug has bit me...
I'm curious how light one of these cars can be...

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
dslocal;2063856 said:
Thanks guys, I had this car driving for about 2 months before I pushed the ge/high comp engine with a bit too much boost trying to beat my friends mk4, California pump gas and 18psi was the right combo to spot some aluminum out on the freeway, I blame my ego for that one... I made another hood for it, I'll shoot some pictures when I have some time.
In that time I found the Vmount to work great, I had good intake temps and coolant temps never were a problem, actually airflow through the radiator was too good and I felt the need to divide the flow between the IC and Rad inside the V.
I'm not sure if I will put this car back on the road. Smog laws and registration here in Cali are very difficult for these things, plus the locost/superlight bug has bit me...

you can get these cars down a lot, theres a guy on here with a 1250kg track supra I believe.

this is what I was referring to: http://www.rhdjapan.com/search/?q=jza70 hood# in both cf and frp

but since you made your own I'd like to see a shot of it :D

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
dslocal;2063856 said:
the 76 stations with 100 octane are your best insurance policy for that kind of stuff.
I run 8.9:1 and the same cali pump gas. I kinda want to try a v mount on my car when i put the bigger turbo in.

as for weight there's a lot you can do to take off weight but the supra's never going to be a feather weight coupe the way a miata can be.