upstate ny build 08-09

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
You guys need to look at a map:icon_razz. Upstate NY is Watertown and above. As far as I know I'm the only one in upstate NY(Potsdam).

Another good website is NYspeed.com. Highly recommend.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
That sounds good:biglaugh:. Did any of you guys go to the rightcoasttuner show in oswego last year. There was two mk3's there plus mine. One was white with red interior, automatic turbo I think. And I can't remember what the other one was.

viraco

Dec 11, 2008
ny
Here is a update. Phase 1 is just about done. It's a little better then when we started.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 16

viraco

Dec 11, 2008
ny
yes it dose. I'm trying to get some video of it on here. I have good oil pressure and it runs cool. I have to do a basic tune so we can drive it some before we bring it to a tuner.

viraco

Dec 11, 2008
ny
I am posting this hoping for some feedback. I am looking for reputable tuner in the north east region. I'm from Albany NY but am willing to travel to a certain degree. The car is an automatic which seems to be problematic to the tuners I have talked to in my area. The first post on this thread has a list of my mods. Basically looking for some one familiar with a neo. Phone numbers and location are greatly appreciated.:1zhelp:

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
viraco;1273319 said:
I am posting this hoping for some feedback. I am looking for reputable tuner in the north east region. I'm from Albany NY but am willing to travel to a certain degree. The car is an automatic which seems to be problematic to the tuners I have talked to in my area. The first post on this thread has a list of my mods. Basically looking for some one familiar with a neo. Phone numbers and location are greatly appreciated.:1zhelp:

Synapse Motorsport not too far from Albany. That is probably the closest good tuner. There is a tuner in Lake Placid, Moon Performance, as well. I think there might be a couple other places locally, but they might be sketchy.
I would check out Shift518.com and see who people are recommending for tuning.
Good luck and keep us updated.

viraco

Dec 11, 2008
ny
I just started the engine on a new build I'm working on. All of a sudden the MIL came on and the motor started running like crap. To make a long story short it was a afm. I have got a lot of good info off this forum so I'm trying to give back. Here is some info on how the afm works and diagnosing it. My bet is the afm is usually bad with this code. (this is also in a tek thread)

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3

viraco

Dec 11, 2008
ny
OK. for the few people that have been following this build here is an update. The engine pretty much started right up. The only problem I had was that I needed to bump up the fuel pressure. This is just the beginning of the story. My friend (his car) decided to hook up a fcd in-line with a neo which was already installed. I was not sure about it but he got some info off the net that said he needed it. Myself not being a Toyota guy kept my mouth shut. Right after we did this the engine light came on with code 14 & 31. I said ohhhhh great we fried the ecu. After diagnosing the problem and testing th afm with a known good part (thanks Dave) we found out by coincidence it was the afm that went bad. Needless to say this had us scratching our head for a week and half till we found a test part. After all this we are getting a maft pro and doing away with the afm, neo and fcd. All in one unit seems much easier to me. It comes on Monday. I will be selling the other stuff soon.

Last edited:

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
viraco;1281053 said:
OK. for the few people that have been following this build here is an update. The engine pretty much started right up. The only problem I had was that I needed to bump up the fuel pressure. This is just the beginning of the story. My friend (his car) decided to hook up a fcd in-line with a neo which was already installed. I was not sure about it but he got some info off the net that said he needed it. Myself not being a Toyota guy kept my mouth shut. Right after we did this the engine light came on with code 14 & 31. I said ohhhhh great we fried the ecu. After diagnosing the problem and testing th afm with a known good part (thanks Dave) we found out by coincidence it was the afm that went bad. Needless to say this had us scratching our head for a week and half till we found a test part. After all this we are getting a maft pro and doing away with the afm, neo and afc. All in one unit seems much easier to me. It comes on Monday. I will be selling the other stuff soon.

Good stuff. Did you guys call around to any of the places I mentioned?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
The shop that I go to with my 88 turbo, when I don't do it myself, is called Inline Performance at 1809 Altamont Ave. Schenectady, NY 12303. Phone is 518-357-4100. I don't know what they do as far as tuning is concerned, but one of the owners (Dave) is a Mk3 guy and knows his shit. I've had good luck dealing with them so far. I'd recommend giving them a call and seeing what they say about tuning. Web page: http://www.inlineperformance.net/

Also, as far as Synapse Motorsports goes, they're at 446 Saratoga Road Scotia, N.Y. 12302. Phone is 518-261-1790. I've driven by a number of times, but have yet to stop in. They look to have a nice place. Web page: http://www.synapseturbo.com

I've been in Albany my entire life and never knew there were this many local people. My car's down for the count at the moment, but if anyone local needs or wants help with their build, you should seriously drop me a line, I'd love to help!

viraco

Dec 11, 2008
ny
I'm waiting for a return call from synapse. I think they are the ones who told my friend they wont tune autos.

Last edited:

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Goodluck man.

I just graduated from Siena and currenly have an apartment in Watervliet. I might be getting a job around here, or going back to New Paltz. I'll find out for sure in a couple weeks.

Take care,
Mo

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Neodeuccio;1281143 said:
The shop that I go to with my 88 turbo, when I don't do it myself, is called Inline Performance at 1809 Altamont Ave. Schenectady, NY 12303. Phone is 518-357-4100. I don't know what they do as far as tuning is concerned, but one of the owners (Dave) is a Mk3 guy and knows his shit. I've had good luck dealing with them so far. I'd recommend giving them a call and seeing what they say about tuning. Web page: http://www.inlineperformance.net/

Also, as far as Synapse Motorsports goes, they're at 446 Saratoga Road Scotia, N.Y. 12302. Phone is 518-261-1790. I've driven by a number of times, but have yet to stop in. They look to have a nice place. Web page: http://www.synapseturbo.com

I've been in Albany my entire life and never knew there were this many local people. My car's down for the count at the moment, but if anyone local needs or wants help with their build, you should seriously drop me a line, I'd love to help!

Mo87NA;1281232 said:
Goodluck man.

I just graduated from Siena and currenly have an apartment in Watervliet. I might be getting a job around here, or going back to New Paltz. I'll find out for sure in a couple weeks.

Take care,
Mo

You guys gotta get over to Shift518.com and check out the local scene. Bunch of MKIV peeps there.
I live just outside vliet by the purple pub. I should have you guys over some night when it gets warmer and when I get the garage somewhat respectable. Its a little cramped right now :icon_bigg .

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Hell yeah man. Let me know. I'm always down for a good time, some brews, and of course some Supra action.

Mo