Upgrading A/C hoses to barrier hose for R134a?

SupraLover

Apr 13, 2005
Las Vega$
A new dryer is a MUST! R-12 is not compatible with R134, and this is the last link in preventing contamination of the two when converting. Besides they only go for around $20 at autozone. As to the conversion, I never switched the hoses on my conversion, and its cold enough, now you got me wondering if I did swithc out the hoses, would it even get colder? Heads up, as soon as I converted a freind of mine informed me that he has almost 32lbs of R12 in his garage, cheap! Im now thinking of going back, as R12 runs colder in our systems then r134.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
SupraLover;1379758 said:
A new dryer is a MUST! R-12 is not compatible with R134, and this is the last link in preventing contamination of the two when converting. Besides they only go for around $20 at autozone. As to the conversion, I never switched the hoses on my conversion, and its cold enough, now you got me wondering if I did swithc out the hoses, would it even get colder? Heads up, as soon as I converted a freind of mine informed me that he has almost 32lbs of R12 in his garage, cheap! Im now thinking of going back, as R12 runs colder in our systems then r134.
No, the hoses won't make it run colder, they will just make it run longer. With that said, mine has run cold for a decade after the conversion, so the old style hoses obviously don't leak very much or very fast.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Grim: Honestly, this might just be like the o-rings where it's hit or miss if they really have to be changed.

As my hoses are toast (well, one was, but might as well rebuild the system), I bought new ones and they are supposedly R134 ready (comes with the green o-rings)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I was reading a previous post from JJ where he explained that hoses built for R12 will leak R134a, even though the leaks are small and slow, I like to have everything work on my car at least as well as it did off the showroom floor. ;)