Twin Disc Spec clutch info and feedback needed

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I run the Spec 2+ clutch. Running under 400 rwhp it held nicely with no slippage. No other issues at all except for an annoying shudder downshifting into second and first. Also once it heats up I get a shudder going into first (starting out in stop-go traffic).
A bit annoying, but after 3000 km, I have it pulled and its standing up very well. No hot spots, etc. (of course.. this is a Spec 2+... think its the 600 buck version.

I will be running a SP6265 next spring with 1000 cc injectors. The R154 is at Jack Transmission right now getting a stage 2 rebuild. Going stand alone with the HKS Fcon Vpro (7M chipped). Going to be shooting for 450-500 rwhp. Will see how well the clutch holds up with the new setup.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
My spec stage 2 (sprung single disk) also shudders when slipping 1st. Hopefully i will get to see if it can take 500 ft/lbs soon. It held at sub 400 great.

I am also curious to hear more from twin disk users. The OS set up sure seems nice how tough are they to get?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
I see my thread is back from the dead. I've read alot of people complaining about the aftermarket slave on the spec leaking among other things. I ended up buying the OS giken twin disk instead of the spec twin disk. No regrets at all. I dont remember the weight. But I can say I know it wasn't back breaking heavy. These are not hard to get, just expensive. I believe driftmotion now sells them. Best clutch you can buy other then tilton (which is double the price). Here are some old pics of my clutch. enjoy.
p1971970_1.jpg
[/URL]

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ya just sold my tripple plate osg since it was the heavy fly wheel one and weighed in at 35 pounds if I remember right

I did not like how heavy it was

i have been looking at clutch master's thou

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
So what's the overall feeling about the spec twin disk? Seems like no one is willing to say anything specific about it. To be honest I've heard a lot of negative feedback on this unit for one reason or another. . But some of those comments have been made when it was first released. Have they been able to work out all the issues or is it still a bad choice compared to units like the clutch master twin disk?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Can't comment on twin disk, but I will say, if my clutch proves to be insufficient for the task, the next will be OS Geiken.
I will be tuned and dyno'd by then so I will have the one that matched the power.

As with all mods, you usually have to modify parts of the entire system to accept the new piece or risk issues.

Mods are mods, sometime people forget that and just plug/play/fail

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm running the Clutchmasters 850 twin disc, and have been for ~6 months now. Nice pedal feel, lots of grab, lots of power handling. Company is fantastic - stateside, they answer their phones and email, and no waits for orders - mine was manufactured and shipped to me the same day I paid for it. I couldn't find a Tilton unit with any guarantee it would ship within 6 months, and OSG was a 6 week lead time before it would ship. Also, parts / service for the OSG seem to come from overseas only...

It's a bit finicky to set up initially, and adjusting the thing requires pulling out the transmission and swapping shims around the input shaft.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup so far.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No, it uses the stock clutch master. I had to install (well, re-shim) the slave a few times.

The slave on this isn't the same as the stock system - you lose the fork and the external slave, and convert to a hydraulic push type slave instead. You cannot remove the slave without pulling the transmission, as it goes over the input shaft.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
^^^ah okay I got you. That sounds like a pain. I would guess this is done to make sure that when you press the clutch pedal u have to be sure that the pressure plate opens enough to allow for proper engagement?

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
All the same I'm on the fence between the spec twin or the clutch master twin. Just need to find someone who is using the spec to give me an honest answer on the unit

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
atlpd3147;1972197 said:
^^^ah okay I got you. That sounds like a pain. I would guess this is done to make sure that when you press the clutch pedal u have to be sure that the pressure plate opens enough to allow for proper engagement?
This, yes, and also that there is enough free play in it on the other end of the cycle so that it engages all the way.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
GrimJack;1972124 said:
I'm running the Clutchmasters 850 twin disc, and have been for ~6 months now. Nice pedal feel, lots of grab, lots of power handling. Company is fantastic - stateside, they answer their phones and email, and no waits for orders - mine was manufactured and shipped to me the same day I paid for it. I couldn't find a Tilton unit with any guarantee it would ship within 6 months, and OSG was a 6 week lead time before it would ship. Also, parts / service for the OSG seem to come from overseas only...

It's a bit finicky to set up initially, and adjusting the thing requires pulling out the transmission and swapping shims around the input shaft.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup so far.

it's shimmmer oh dear god

does it come with setup procedure or am I going to have to bench this thing with the the engine out of the car with a brake vac/pump

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Just because of the great customer service and how fast GrimJack got his clutch, as well as the fact that Geo in his Grey MK4 (the one in all the TRC TX2K13 videos) is putting down 900TQ through his FX850 (which is capable to 1200TQ, the same as a Tilton and less than half the price with the same feel!!!), I would choose the ClutchMasters unit over the Spec any given day.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Spec twin disk. One of my other friends is using a Spec 6-puck and he loves it, it's a bit stiff and too aggressive for my liking though.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
NashMan;1972248 said:
it's shimmmer oh dear god

does it come with setup procedure or am I going to have to bench this thing with the the engine out of the car with a brake vac/pump
Doing it outside of the car would make it MUCH faster. I pulled the transmission 3 times to get it right.