Twin Disc Spec clutch info and feedback needed

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
What do you guys think about this clutch? Pros? Cons? What is the difference between the 800hp and 1100hp capacity clutch? because they are the listed as the same price on titanmotorsports. Will the clutch start to slip after a couple launches at the track? Is there anyone with personal experience with this clutch? I know it says it is 100% bolt in kit, but is it really? are there and fitment issues?

Any input would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,
Marc

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
There's a thread on SF about the clutch. If I remember correctly, it's had some teething issues and the first users are basically acting as testers but it seemed like most of the problems were getting fixed.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I just installed a OS Giken twin plate in my car two days ago and its great, the drivability is nice however the pedal effort is about the same as a RPS max or ACT xtream PP. Power wise I am only at about 420ish but will be tuning for higher boost in the next week or so.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
teamslow;1364170 said:
What do you guys think about this clutch? Pros? Cons? What is the difference between the 800hp and 1100hp capacity clutch? because they are the listed as the same price on titanmotorsports. Will the clutch start to slip after a couple launches at the track? Is there anyone with personal experience with this clutch? I know it says it is 100% bolt in kit, but is it really? are there and fitment issues?

Any input would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,
Marc
It really does bolt in with very little work. No more work than a regular clutch job where you replace the master and slave at the same time.

The difference between the various ratings is whether they are sprung or not... the 800hp variant uses sprung hubs, the 1100 does not.

No experience with the thing beyond the installation, I'm afraid, Duane decided to pull it back out and go with a TH350 instead before really running it.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i have it in my car and the throw out bearing is the only issue,i've had with it.i was never hard on it and only got very few mile's on it,because of the bearing issue.it is nice in traffic,but have no idea about launching the car with it.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
I have been running it for a while now (1100ft/lb version)... Love it very streetable. The thing is that your clutch is most likely saving your transmission right now.. . =) upgrade the clutch = the next thing down the line is going to break or slip (tires)... After I upgraded the clutch the trans seemed to break more often. When I got the M/T tires it took a 2 hours of driving...LOL...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
I am running one, I am the one that solved the BAD hidraulic throw out bearing problem. I have over 3k miles on mine... I daily drive my 1jz supra almost every day, I think i'm very close to 500hp( i haven't dyno yet) I love the way it feels & the way it grabs... Very slippable...

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
Jostar;1364903 said:
I am running one, I am the one that solved the BAD hidraulic throw out bearing problem. I have over 3k miles on mine... I daily drive my 1jz supra almost every day, I think i'm very close to 500hp( i haven't dyno yet) I love the way it feels & the way it grabs... Very slippable...

How did you solve the BAD hydraulic throw out bearing problem?
I found the thread on SF about this clutch and it seems that alot of people seem to have leakage problems. Has that been resolved yet? What did SPEC change with the clutch kit?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
becauseican;1364596 said:
I just installed a OS Giken twin plate in my car two days ago and its great, the drivability is nice however the pedal effort is about the same as a RPS max or ACT xtream PP. Power wise I am only at about 420ish but will be tuning for higher boost in the next week or so.

How much is the OS Giken twin plate? is it a complete bolt on? what is the max capacity rated at? I read something about the SPEC clutch having "bands". i dont really know what that is. can someone please elaborate. i read on SF that a clutch with bands on the pressure plate are more likely to break. can someone include a picture so i know what the "bands" are? Does the OS Giken have bands on the pressure plate like that SPEC clutch?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You'll have to have a push to pull converter for the OS giken. (link supplied by Poodles)
http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/OS-...verter-1JZ-GTE-7M-GTE-TS2B-Super-Single-10645

I'm in the market for a new clutch since I've welded my ACT extreme to my aluminum flywheel. I've heard that the stock flywheel doesn't have the same problem with this as the aluminum one does. I was leaning towards the OS giken, but I will go check out the Spec to see what it's all about.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It seems they are about the same price.

Clutch_Kits_Twin_Disc_LRG.jpg

This one is $1675.00

The OS Giken twin plate is $1795.00
The OS Giken triple plate is $1890.00
The OS Giken quadruple disc is $$2270.50

You'll also have to have the push to pull converter with the OS Gikens and that is another $160.00

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
No the OS Giken does not have bands, it has "teeth " that stick out and fit in notches in the flywheel basket. Yes it is a complete bolt on but you do need a push/ pull converter. It takes a bit of fidling to get the adjustment right but its a great clutch...I have the twin plate sprung hub clutch.

I have an install question; is it ok to have the release bearing to be resting on the PP spring fingers and spinning full time ?, I cannot get the right throw/ engagement without having the bearing spinning and lightly resting on the PP fingers.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
teamslow;1364949 said:
How did you solve the BAD hydraulic throw out bearing problem?
I found the thread on SF about this clutch and it seems that alot of people seem to have leakage problems. Has that been resolved yet? What did SPEC change with the clutch kit?

I told Spec about the QUarterMaster Twin disk for evos, They used to be pull type but QM makes them push typer using a hydraulic bearing, I guess they talked to each other & they sent me a QM bearing, Trust me, It's way beefier than the original, I'll post pics when i get home... So far no more leaks... Trust me don't waste your time adjusting the pedal so it doesn't over travel with the original bearing, Mined leaked after 40 miles of normal highway driving...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ya i would like to tuch bases with this as well

I was never fan of the idea of bands

so any one brake a band yet ?