Turbo failing? Starts burning oil only at highway speeds..

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^Opps, i get it now.

But her problem has to be valve seals. (i bet they're original)

Must be my rings on my Z. :rofl:

I need to get my supra done.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Poodles;1132382 said:
Wait... you're an auto right?

That would explain the smoke if you're low on transmission fluid...

:confused: Yes its an auto, but I'm lost as to how low tranny fluid would cause oil to spray out of the exhaust..?

Zumtizzle;1132387 said:
How much did a brand new starter run you? or is it a reman toyota?

I had an interesting conversation with the lady at the big carquest warehouse here in Lex. She said the carquest starters are sent to detroit, shipped to mexico, rebuilt, and sent back. She agreed they were crap (I don't think those were her words, possibly mine). However, carquest does offer an OEM line. I wanted to check with Champion's price first, but Champion was closed! They've abandoned ship due to the hurricane. The carquest oem is a Denso ("first time fit" on the box - how bout "first time start"?). It was $220 :eek3: I get a $60 core return back. My brake master cylinder from carquest was also a POS, but they didn't offer an OEM alternative. Price from local toyota dealer on that was $230, decided to wait for Champ to reopen. Carquest will refund my $$ on the brake master cylinder.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Ahhh I got what you did. ;)

But if you ever need parts in a hurry. Curt @ Elmhurst is a great fall back, little higher price wise but ships way faster. Just Say you were recommended by some people on SupraForums to get his special pricing.

His Contact info is:
Curt Aigner.
630.279.2265 parts direct
630.835.0122 parts fax
eparts@elmhursttoyota.com
weekly hours are 4:30am-4:30pm M-F CENTRAL STANDARD TIME

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Fluid leaks and hits something hot, hard to tell if it's coming out of the exhaust or not...

Fix the tranny and then see if it does it again...

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Poodles;1133053 said:
Fluid leaks and hits something hot, hard to tell if it's coming out of the exhaust or not...

Fix the tranny and then see if it does it again...

And the cause for all the smoke was tranny fluid hitting the hot exhaust! Big leak in the tranny's front seal. +10 for Poodles! ::w00t:: Also big leak in PS high-pressure hose. Car goes in to shop next week. So here's my next question. If this was your car, what else would you have fixed while the tranny is out and the front end is apart? I already have new lower ball joints and tie-rods. Here's what else is on my to-do list:
Both PS hoses
Rear engine main seal
Bushings for rack/pinion

Are there any other hoses/parts that would be wise to replace? Allen is real good about saying "well you should've done this and this" AFTER I have the work done! :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Family van had a tranny failure in the Rocky Mountains and at first we thought it was the engine until the tranny started acting up.

Make sure you wash the hell outta the car, it's really a vaporization of the tranny fluid meaning it coats everything in it and it just plain sucks...

Have the suspension inspected (check for loose ball joints, end links, ect) and replace as needed as he's under there.

Also have him retorque the subframes (I swear i'm going to put a link to how to do this in my sig...)

We need the rep system back :rofl:

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Are they going to replace the high pressure line or did they not put new crush washers in when they took the front end down the first time? If you need a new line then dont get an OEM. Buy one from driftmotion. Its stainless braided and much cheaper. I think a new on OEM is like almost $300 or something rediculous. Are they going to rebuild the tranny or just replace some parts? When are you going to stop spending money on that thing and get a real car? LMAO I need to sell you one of mine! =P

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
mk3forme;1134211 said:
Are they going to replace the high pressure line or did they not put new crush washers in when they took the front end down the first time? If you need a new line then dont get an OEM. Buy one from driftmotion. Its stainless braided and much cheaper. I think a new on OEM is like almost $300 or something rediculous. Are they going to rebuild the tranny or just replace some parts? When are you going to stop spending money on that thing and get a real car? LMAO I need to sell you one of mine! =P

Dammit Allen! Its not helpful when you tell me this stuff after the fact! I've already ordered the stuff from Champ (now open). I figure the first hose lasted 18 yrs, so it must be decent. I'm getting the hose, washers, and whatever else Jeff thought it needed. They're going to replace the seal in the tranny and the engine.

Yeah, sell me one of your cars cheap so I can have a half-decent parts car! And I'll park it behind your house.

Come November, my car will not only be prettier than yours, but faster. Not only that, but my Altima can outrun your Accord any day! So there! :p

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Well you didnt ask ::hang:: How was I suppose to know you were spending MORE money on that thing. Oh and I thought about one more thing you should do while the tranny is out. Pull the motor out so you can rebuild it. Then you have a better chance of keeping up with my NA. :biglaugh:

Oh and as far as the prettier thing. I would hope yours is prettier cause mine is not pretty!! oh yeah and my window moulding arent peeling either! :sarcasm: