Turbo failing? Starts burning oil only at highway speeds..

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Every time I mark something off of my to-fix list, my car has to add a new item to the list. Usually something worse than what I just fixed. This is no exception.

CPS wire issue fixed. Car had a new connector, but had a half-assed splicing job. Grabbed an EE person, 20 mins later problem fixed!

New problem - about 45 mins on the freeway (75-85 mph), I see blue smoke behind me at the bottom of a long steep hill. Unfortunately, it was from my car. For the next 20 mins, every time I accelerated, there was a thin veil of blue smoke. When I got to my destination, the bumper was splattered with oil. Mike and I took it back out 30 mins later, but there was no smoke. Heading home, about 30 mins into the trip on the freeway, the smoke is back, and happens with acceleration until I get home. More oil on bumper. This car has never done this before. It appears to happen when the engine is at its hottest, at highway speeds for a length of time.

I searched the forum but didn't find these exact symptoms. So my guess is a valve seal, or the turbo. Whichever is more difficult and expensive to replace. Turbo. Thoughts?

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
IJ.;1129250 said:
Sounds like Stem seals Tracy.

It'd be worth pulling the accordian hose off the turbo and checking for shaft play.

The stem seals are leaking only under extreme conditions? Freeway speeds for long periods of time on a hot day?

I can see how the stem seals could be an issue..However, you suggest checking the shaft play in the turbo, not as a cause for the smoke, but as preventive maintenance? If the shaft had play in it, wouldn't I hear it? Back in the day, I used to "listen" to the file servers every morning to see if the bearings were going out in the SCSI drives. It was a very distinct high-pitched whine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Next time you go out find a big hill when the car isn't too hot and go down the hill throttle off/engine braking, watch the mirror for smoke.

I'm not sure that temp/time would affect it but maybe it's easier to see once the full exhaust has heat soaked.

The Turbo check is to see if it has excessive wear/play as a possible source of the smoke (not usually intermittent like this though once they're worn enough to smoke it's pretty well there all the time)

Are there any PCV system mods on this car?

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
what about when you are just idling? On a 240 I worked on, it would smoke after it got hot. Come to find out his turbo had been surging, and it killed the shaft seal in the turbo. After it got hot, oil thins out and it would seep through the seal.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Also Tracy forgot to mention this motor had been supposedly rebuilt. To what extent we dont know. Probably like most "rebuilds" with just a head gasket. But we dont know for sure. Also dont know how long ago either.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
ihiryu;1129821 said:
what about when you are just idling? On a 240 I worked on, it would smoke after it got hot. Come to find out his turbo had been surging, and it killed the shaft seal in the turbo. After it got hot, oil thins out and it would seep through the seal.

No smoke. Took it out that same evening after dark, and there was no oil on the rear bumper when I got home. Wasn't out long, and I kept it under 50mph.

Like I said, the problem started 30-45 mins into both of the trips on the freeway. Thats whats got me stumped.

Actually, this is not the original engine (right Mike?).

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
IJ.;1129467 said:
The Turbo check is to see if it has excessive wear/play as a possible source of the smoke (not usually intermittent like this though once they're worn enough to smoke it's pretty well there all the time)

Are there any PCV system mods on this car?

I just tore out the air intake and intercooler pipes. The intercooler pipes had a thin film of oil inside of them. Checked the impeller wheel, and it turned very smoothly. It did have a very slight amount of play in it, side-to-side. I wouldn't consider it excessive. I had a chance to check out a freshly rebuilt turbo the other day. Compared to that one, the one in my car turned just as smoothly. Of course the rebuild didn't have any play in it.

I'm not aware of any PCV mods..Not sure what to look for on that one..:dunno:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
ihiryu;1129821 said:

Sorry, but turbo's don't have seals for oil to "weep" through.

:nono:

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Poodles;1130305 said:
A quick pic of the engine bay would tell us instantly...

EDIT: Damn, beaten by the old man...

He may be "old", but he's fast..

Here's pics:

[thumb]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3751/motor002largelz5.jpg[/thumb]

[thumb]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7061/motor001largevy8.jpg[/thumb]

Yea, parts were missing ;)
Here it is back together again. Yea, still runs :p
[thumb]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6913/motor003largeqv8.jpg[/thumb]

No, the red vacuum lines were not *my* idea. They came with the car!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
IJ if your wondering about the PCV lines, there all there and hooked up correctly, at least from what i can tell in the pics.

does your car smoke under boost too?
also, let your car idle for a good 15mins, then go WOT leaving, and check for a cloud of smoke...

those are my cars symptoms and im 99% sure there the valve stem seals after doing a compression and a leak down test...

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Rennat;1132082 said:
IJ if your wondering about the PCV lines, there all there and hooked up correctly, at least from what i can tell in the pics.

does your car smoke under boost too?
also, let your car idle for a good 15mins, then go WOT leaving, and check for a cloud of smoke...

those are my cars symptoms and im 99% sure there the valve stem seals after doing a compression and a leak down test...

IJ wanted me to do a similar test on a hill. I just got the car back together as you can see by the pics. When I checked the turbo, I went ahead and replaced some air intake hoses that were cooked to a crisp, and one of the PS hoses. Now, to add insult to injury, the tranny fluid is low. :3d_frown: Way low. I plan to top off the fluid and take it to my mechanics tomorrow. I'll be watching for smoke. They are going to check the tranny for leaks and put my very expensive OEM starter on. One step forward, two steps back!

I also plan to pull the spark plugs. The car idles poorly after its warmed up. Also, not sure if this matters, but I switched this car over to Pennzoil synthetic after I had the oil pan replaced in the spring.

Car does not smoke under boost when running around town.

Last edited:

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
IJ.;1132066 said:
You say "fast" like it's a bad thing ;)

Here is where I have to step aside and let the other guys comment as I've never owned a GTE so am not sure what's missing/present!

But IJ I thought you knew EVERYTHING! Does this mean my car is faster than yours??

btw, love the emoticon that they named after you. :stickpoke