Turbo eating monster help!

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
I have read countless threads and talked to a lot of experienced people and still can not find a solution.

Turbo #1
Brand new Garrett TO4E 60 trim
COLD A/R .60
HOT A/R .69
I ran this turbo for about 15k. I made 489WHP and 510TQ at 21PSI i ran 20psi almost the entire 15k. It started smoking badly, so i took off the cheap autozone filter and found that i had A TON of axial shaft play im talking like 1/8in or better. It tore up the back side of the turbine and ground into the front of the compressor, NO radial shaft play. The thrust bearing was still there but worn badly. there was no scoring on the shaft and no coking. it looked geat inside except the massive amount of wear on the thrust washer. I have a full 3in exhaust, -4 oil feed and -10 oil drain. The oil drain comes straight out the bottom of the turbo. Had a couple of people tell me that my air filter was to small and that maybe my BOV was not working correctly because i had some bad compresor surge. I replace both. Got a new SSQV and bought a HUGE K&N and sold the turbo. I used Castrol GTX 10W30 and later in the 15k went to a 20w40.

TURBO #2
I borrowed a friends turbo that is identical to the first turbo except it was water cooled. I put about 1000 miles on it with no problems i did plum coolant to it. I was running MOTUL 300V 20w50

TURBO #3
Garrett T67 USED
COLD A/R .50
HOT A/R .69
I ran this turbo no more that 200-500 miles before that same thing happened to turbo #1 except not as severe. I was checking it and caught it before it got real serious. Had it rebuilt by a trusted turbo builder down in phoenix. Bearings all looked good again except the 360 degree thrust washer had alot of wear in it. when we removed that washer it was stuck and slightly galled that shaft, we used a conventional 270 bearing because i guess it grabbed the shaft in a different spot. Again OIL was MOTUL 300V 20W50, A respected tuner in phoenix told me that i should try changing out my hot side because i was possibly to restrictive. I should note that i was getting some sever compressor surge in full boost some of the time. I took me about 3 times before i figured out what it was then pulled the turbo. This is another reason i switched the turbine housing to a .89

TURBO#4
Same as above except a .89 A/R on the turbine. went about 200 miles and developed a small amount of axial play! i am still running this turbo and it is getting worse very slowly.I am hardly driving the car nowadays. it seems like its starting but burn alot of oil again. and now the axial play is pretty severe. Also running MOTUL 300V 20W50

I AM running out of money to deal with this problem and i need to get some serious advice before i put any more money into it.
I put the oil feel line into a container and started the car with the turbo off. It pumps ALOT of oil out in a very small amount of time. If you need anymore information please ask my mods are in my sig.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited:

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is a old pic..Turbo is much larger now and the crappy filter is gone.
I am running Motul 20W50 Because i had 20 quarts given to me. after i wrote up this thread i noticed that i started having these issues kinda that same time that i started running heaver weight oil, althougth im not sure it has anything to do with it. Also Commpressor A/R on the T67 is .50 not .70.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
No i run it stock except i do not have it running into the intake just a catch can. Funny i almost mentioned that when i posted the pic.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Crypton2006;1743708 said:
No i run it stock except i do not have it running into the intake just a catch can. Funny i almost mentioned that when i posted the pic.

Here's my theory...

You are not supplying the vacuum needed to make the pcv system run properly. The rear oil seal is leaking oil onto the hot turbine because of this. The oil turns to super hard carbon, sticking to the turbine wheel.
Two things then happen: The turbine wheel becomes out of balance and the clearance between wheel and exhaust shield inside exhaust housing is causing your thrust bearing failure.
Tear apart one of those turbos and look under the heat shield and the turbine wheel.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
[/COLOR]The two that i have torn down have booth shown signs of oil leaking out the back seal. It was wet with oil, although i figured it was wet becasue of the massive shaft play. I am pulling off the current turbo in a few days. I will tear it down and snap some high quality pics.
I did have the pvc ran into the intake behind the filter for a short time. I only ran it on the first turbo and it was toward the end of its life. Do you think that i need to make the outlets on the top of the valve cover larger, like two -8 lines?

Last edited:

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
I told him his exhaust is to restrictive. I believe it was like a 2.5" outleton the hotside/downpipe to a 3" exhaust. Now with turbo #2 its on a full 3" downpipe. Correct me if I'm wrong Justin.

On the turbo #1 when I pulled it apart the thrust was seriously paper thin and Garrett thrust are meaty. It was so worn it chauffeured the turbine wheel because it was rubbing the shield and housing so badly.

Turbo #2 was rebuilt and balanced first by me, new bearings, rings, thrust and collar just like any other turbos I've built. Then was rebuilt from the same vendor I get my parts and balancing done.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Restrictive exhaust creates positive thrust, and too much pre turbo pressure causes negative thrust right??

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
stevenr816;1744562 said:
Turbo #2 was rebuilt and balanced first by me, new bearings, rings, thrust and collar just like any other turbos I've built. Then was rebuilt from the same vendor I get my parts.....estrictive exhaust creates positive thrust, and too much pre turbo pressure causes negative thrust right??

For simple's sake, you are right about the thrust. As for balancing, if the unit was balanced on a Heinz style machine, well i've lost a lot of faith in the operators using that machine.

enjoi.this;1744583 said:
Im also having a similar issue. Have about 7k on my brand new 60 trim ct26 and its getting more play as time goes on.

Easy tiger. Saying two people who sneeze have colds is a dangerous thing to diagnose. You could have an entirely different problem causing the shaft play.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
This is what caught my attention. Should have been more specific.

MDCmotorsports;1743711 said:
Here's my theory...

You are not supplying the vacuum needed to make the pcv system run properly. The rear oil seal is leaking oil onto the hot turbine because of this. The oil turns to super hard carbon, sticking to the turbine wheel.
Two things then happen: The turbine wheel becomes out of balance and the clearance between wheel and exhaust shield inside exhaust housing is causing your thrust bearing failure.
Tear apart one of those turbos and look under the heat shield and the turbine wheel.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
stevenr816;1744562 said:
I told him his exhaust is to restrictive. I believe it was like a 2.5" outleton the hotside/downpipe to a 3" exhaust. Now with turbo #2 its on a full 3" downpipe. Correct me if I'm wrong Justin.

On the turbo #1 when I pulled it apart the thrust was seriously paper thin and Garrett thrust are meaty. It was so worn it chauffeured the turbine wheel because it was rubbing the shield and housing so badly.

Turbo #2 was rebuilt and balanced first by me, new bearings, rings, thrust and collar just like any other turbos I've built. Then was rebuilt from the same vendor I get my parts and balancing done.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Restrictive exhaust creates positive thrust, and too much pre turbo pressure causes negative thrust right??

It has always been a 3in down pipe, the only thing i have changed is the turbine housings. I think i still have the old bearings around here somewhere i will post of pics of them when i get a chance. I am pulling the turbo off tomorrow to get it rebuilt Friday. I think MDC has a good point with the PCV system. Is there any chance that the 3in exhaust is to restrictive. Its not the best built exhaust but it is all mandrel bends, No cat and a magnaflow (no baffling) muffler.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Here's what you need to do. Get a wideband plug, drill/tap to 1/8 npt and hook it up to a boost gauge to measure post turbo backpressure. Which is exactly what your thirst is showing the positive wear.

Just my .02
I've read plenty on vsr vs assembly balance. That turbo I kept blowing up, the bearing housing was tweaked. As soon ad I changed it it's lasted since then (6 months).

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
BTW: This is the exact same turbo that was on my car. (ITS IN MY AVATAR) Boosting up to 19psi on it. I had NO problems what so ever. Was rebuilt by Joel when I first got the turbo because I sucked up slug from my manifold, damaged my p-Trim and got it replace. drove it for 1 and a half years, no problem.

Justin I honestly think its the setup. Why does your feed look so big???? My looks so much smaller. Like I said on the phone try to run a oil pressure sensor pre and post for back pressure.

Try running just down pipe?

Is this the 3rd or 4th time this thing as blown up?

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

hvyman;1744603 said:
60 trim ct's dont have the best reputation.

60 trims are fine. its the 60-1 that get the bad rep, BTW. dont confuse them

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
MDCmotorsports;1743711 said:
Here's my theory...

Yeah, I agree, but I ran no PCV on my 1j with the same turbo, I had no problems.