turbo capable of 600whp with small lag

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
sk6471;1191124 said:
Forced Performance sells a hybrid Garrett known as the FP HTA GT3586R that they claim moves over 75 lb/min of air.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=NTGT3586HTA&Category_Code=Turbo-FP
They also sell the FP HTA GT3582R which they claim spools faster and flows more than the GT35R. If they're not full of shit, that should be just right for your goals.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=NTGT3582HTA&Category_Code=Turbo-FP
IMO Id go with a GT4088R and leave the super fast spooling turbos for smaller motors that need it. (1JZ) Do you really want over 550 lb/ft so close to idle in a MKIII?

After reading a lot of user experiences on DSM and Evo forums, I'm pretty sold on this turbo (HTA3586R). I plan to run one of these with a Sound Performance quick spool valve for faster spool. Hopefully with methanol injection, a standalone and some headwork, I'll have 550-600 hp with the fastest spool possible on the street, and maybe later on, throw a bunch of nitrous at it for the track ;)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
topgear;1198125 said:
Holset HX50
Assy. nr: 3591777

kompressor:
inducer 66mm
exducer 99mm

turbine:
inducer 86mm
exducer 77mm.

is it good for my needs ?

With good tuning, and a proper split pulse t3 manifold, yes. It will hit 600whp no problem (IDK if on 98 oct.) and you should get full spool by 3800-4200.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
upgradedsupra;1189907 said:
IHI RH C7 . :)

Duane

Absolutely! :)

It's a bit of a dinosaur turbo....
but good grief do they hit hard and spool quick.

*Edit* Duane...I have reason to believe you've got ESP.
You're reading my mind before I do something, except you do it before me,
leaving me to look like the copy-cat. :biglaugh:
(Went from IHI RHC7 to GT42, LOL).

Jeff

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
not going to happen on your car. The guys who make this kind of power already know this. You want that kind of power you have to give up a bit to get it, besides kicking in that soon will just translate to wheel spin and help you loose races. When you have a turbo that can make 600rwhp you will not drive the car in the same way. You don't floor it at 2k and expect to beat anybody. Now floor it at 3800rpms and hold on also don't forget you can downshift also.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
quake;1250660 said:
not going to happen on your car. The guys who make this kind of power already know this. You want that kind of power you have to give up a bit to get it, besides kicking in that soon will just translate to wheel spin and help you loose races. When you have a turbo that can make 600rwhp you will not drive the car in the same way. You don't floor it at 2k and expect to beat anybody. Now floor it at 3800rpms and hold on also don't forget you can downshift also.

I dont know about that cause there are plenty of turbo V8 guys able to put down 600whp and do quite well with putting down the power to the ground. Of course supporting mods such as tires, suspension, and misc. help but the biggest would be driver mod.

Boost logic has a new kit with a very high price tag that utilizes compound turbocharging (from the diesel guys). We are talking 300ft/lbs of torque at 2,800rpms and peak torque of 550 to 600 lb/s at 4,800 while being able to flow top end numbers as well.

So I doubt you cant put down the power to be quite honest when all your doing is replicated the power of a big V8. All of a sudden Supra guys are suppose to winners with the lag effect larger? uh...I just dont see it.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
Spaniard;1251420 said:
I dont know about that cause there are plenty of turbo V8 guys able to put down 600whp and do quite well with putting down the power to the ground. Of course supporting mods such as tires, suspension, and misc. help but the biggest would be driver mod.

Boost logic has a new kit with a very high price tag that utilizes compound turbocharging (from the diesel guys). We are talking 300ft/lbs of torque at 2,800rpms and peak torque of 550 to 600 lb/s at 4,800 while being able to flow top end numbers as well.

So I doubt you cant put down the power to be quite honest when all your doing is replicated the power of a big V8. All of a sudden Supra guys are suppose to winners with the lag effect larger? uh...I just dont see it.

yeah i knew about the compound turbo kits but i don't think he will be going for that type of a setup. As for putting it down most imports go for looks as well as the power. This usually means bigger rims and lower profile tires, the v8 boys usually go for traction and smaller rims with a drag radial or slicks.
Needless to say this helps them quite a bit to put down good power.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Boost Lee;1245856 said:
Absolutely! :)

It's a bit of a dinosaur turbo....
but good grief do they hit hard and spool quick.

*Edit* Duane...I have reason to believe you've got ESP.
You're reading my mind before I do something, except you do it before me,
leaving me to look like the copy-cat. :biglaugh:
(Went from IHI RHC7 to GT42, LOL).

Jeff

lol Why are you following me around? :biglaugh:

MDCmotorsports;1251448 said:
He said turbocharger, not dinosaur.

It didn't move like a dinosaur. ;)

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
robhojy;1244957 said:
whats the Precision T67 duall ball bearing like?

This is a great turbo. I have driven/ tuned a few cars with this turbo, on 2jz they hit 18-20 psi between 3700-4000 rpms. It was making 520 whp at this boost level on 94 pump gas. 700 can be done on this turbo pushing it hard. I think Zazzn here made 670 ish HP at 25-27 psi. A 67 on a 1jz is a bit lazy, I tuned a 1jz car with journal T67 and a .68 turbine housing and it didnt make full boost till 4500+, but it sure did hit hard!! The MK4 guys love the T63/ SP63 for a quick spooling street turbo, and its 600-650 capeable.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
3K spool + 600rwhp + pump gas is never going to happen on a supra. If you want that, buy a corvette and put a twin turbo kit on it.

If you want spool around 3400rpms, get a GT35R. It will make 600rwhp, but at high boost on race gas. Or get Dwanes old turbo the IHI-C7RHRTASDFASVC or something like that.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
MRSUPRA;1258380 said:
3K spool + 600rwhp + pump gas is never going to happen on a supra. If you want that, buy a corvette and put a twin turbo kit on it.

If you want spool around 3400rpms, get a GT35R. It will make 600rwhp, but at high boost on race gas. Or get Dwanes old turbo the IHI-C7RHRTASDFASVC or something like that.

You may be right, but you use to. There are more possibilities out there that do make this possible. To list a few:

1. You could use nitrous to spool your turbo
2. Anti-lag system (there are several different types out there)
3. Twin-charged Motor utilizing a supercharger and turbo for low and high end power
4. Compound Turbo system
5. A true fully-sequential turbo system (no the mk4 doesnt already do this)

Yes, some carry drawbacks, but you cant say it can not be done. The last two would be the best ways on going about it. I'm doing the fourth one right now with my car, and you can expect 280rwhp at ~2,900 and peak horsepower at ~6.5k of about 625rwhp on pump gas. This is not hear-say but has been done safely and has been done. You say thats too much power? That you need lag to apply that power to the ground? Well, that maybe so, but the V8 guys making these kinds of number seem to put down the power very well along with stroked 2JZ motors with a turbo setup for response.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Spaniard;1258831 said:
Never said it wasnt done. Only downside to this system is the fact that you will have to run very high octane all the time.
I was pointing this out to MrSupra. Also in the first post in that thread, BL says they can limit the psi to 10? So if the entire system could be limited to 15-17, you'd be set, unless you want to run a HUGE tank of methanol, and keep it at 20-25psi all the time!

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I knew I should have worded more carefully lol. Yes you could do it...but not easily. I think the thread starter was not looking to spend that kind of money. The compound turbo system which will give you the best chance of 3K spool and 600rwhp is not available for the 7M and cost $8000 not including the Standalone engine management needed. The right sequential setup MIGHT give you 3K spool, but thats a lot of money too. Nitrous is the cheapest, but I don't know how safe it is to spray under 3K rpm's.

ModularTurbo

MasterPower Rep
May 4, 2008
Homestead, FL
www.modularturbo.com
when you spray nitrous oxide cylinder pressure increases exponentially. When nitrous oxide enters the cylinder and is combusted it is consumed at an alarmingly fast rate. Such that if the rpms of the motor are not high enough it will create an instant amount of cylinder pressure that is so high that it will do the following: Bend rods, pop head gaskets, crack pistons, destroy part x y or z, and/or all of the above. A given motor must turn a minimum amount of rpm's in order to properly use the greatly expansive amount of cylinder pressure, if they do not they will over torque their engine and cause catastrophic damage. This is however a generalization and is not exactly true for every single setup, but since I have sprayed probly 30 different cars and 30 different setups, I can say without much doubt that what I am explaining seems to be pretty darn accurate.

Thanks
Rob@modularturbo