tuning issues..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, to nitpick, timing should be set to 10 deg BTDC with terminals Te1 and E1 jumpered at the check connector, and more than 12 degrees BTDC at idle with the jumper disconnected

I'm reminded of a fellow who managed to set his CPS 180 degrees out. Ignition timing looked perfect on the light, but it just didn't run right, particularly at low RPM. Of course if you're checking crank position based on the timing marks on the gears, And are installing the CPS as per TSRM Page IG-24 that simply should not happen.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Thanks for the usefull info Dan, I should have known that.. lol. I followed tsrm to the t when I set my cps. It is at lower engine rpms that it runs crappy. Once it gets past 2500 its clean all the way to 4000rpms (not gunna rev out a fresh top end rebuild). Ill try more today, and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
So I set my ignition timing @ 10° BTDC, and my cams/ crank at 0. Still won't run right.

When I look down into my oil filler hole, with my intake cam at its timing mark on the factory gears, the top of my cam lobe is barely visible. If I turn it clock wise about 3 teeth, then its straight up.. so I called BC and they said pull the cams and send them in. The centerline shouldn't b off, but they wanna check. I'm pretty sure its off.. I've never had these kinds of issues timing a motor...