tuning issues..

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
So today is the first day that I've turned the key on my project since last year. It didn't start very easy, so I figured my ignition timing was off, yep, it was. So then it fired up but its running really rough, lumpy idle like its na and cammed to the gills..
Anyways my mods are,

Lex/550 mod,
Arp head studs,
Hks 1.2mm mhg,
Port and polish,
Obx cam gears,
Stage 2 Brian crower cams,
Godspeed fmic,
60-1 ct26,
Walbro 255 fuel pump, and some other odds and ends..

My issue is I can't for the life of me get the idle to smooth out, or get the car to run smoother no matter how I degree the cams. Idk what else it could b, I know my crank/cam relation is perfect, ignition timing is ok..

I'm wondering if anyone's run these cams, and can point me in the right direction. Any help would b appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
I found a pretty severe vacuum leak, but the rough running still persist. no matter how I degree the cams I cant get it to smooth out below 2,500rpms.. im stumped. im almost thinking about putting my factory cam gears back in, and seeing if there is a difference.. any ideas anyone?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Supraguy7M;1952095 said:
im almost thinking about putting my factory cam gears back in, and seeing if there is a difference.. any ideas anyone?

That is what I was thinking. Temporarily go back to stock and see if that works.
Monitoring your AFR's? What do they look like when it's stumbling?

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
I don't have a wideband at the moment... ik, not good.. lol. I can tell that its running a hair on the rich side at idle. its a very light black smoke, its barely noticeable unless your really trying to see it. if I degree the cams with my gears set at 12+ on the exhaust and 8- on the intake it will smooth out considerably around 2000 rpms, and sounds about like it should. its like im a tooth off on my cams, when everything is 100% aligned. if I set the intake and exhaust at factory spec 0+-, it wont even start unless I hold it wide open.. and even then it runs for a few seconds, sputters like the timing is way off, then dies..

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
No name calling intended, but im pretty sure you can have your cam gears lined up with the marks on the cover and it still be possible the cams be off. On the number one cylinder (compression side I believe) if you look through the oil cap is the cam lobe at its highest point when your piston is at the top of the stroke?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Supraguy7M;1952211 said:
I don't have a wideband at the moment... ik, not good.. lol. I can tell that its running a hair on the rich side at idle. its a very light black smoke, its barely noticeable unless your really trying to see it. if I degree the cams with my gears set at 12+ on the exhaust and 8- on the intake it will smooth out considerably around 2000 rpms, and sounds about like it should. its like im a tooth off on my cams, when everything is 100% aligned. if I set the intake and exhaust at factory spec 0+-, it wont even start unless I hold it wide open.. and even then it runs for a few seconds, sputters like the timing is way off, then dies..
How about a tooth off on your CPS?

12+ on the exhaust cam is going to change your ignition timing quite a bit, I think. Have you put a timing light on it? (12 degrees at the cam is 24 degrees at the crank, right?)

Last edited:

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Set and reset the cps about 3 Times now.. setting it per tsrm. Ill put the factory gears on and see what happens.. I've only tried setting it on the obx gears.. not the stockys..

Yeah 7M4EVR, its seems like its at the top on the intake side.. I've never had such a hard time timing an engine.. I've done so many dual overhead cam motors..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I still think it'd be worth putting a timing light on it. If it runs at +12 on the cam gear, and "sounds like the timing is way off" when it isn't... Maybe the timing is way off? (Only mentioned it because of all the things that you tried, that wasn't one you mentioned in the thread.)

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
If I can get my hands on a timing light tomorrow morning ill definitely give that a shot. Maybe it is off and I'm just not seeing it. Everyone makes mistakes here and there, I am human lol. So the possibility is there.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
So the problems persist.. I got a timing light, and adjusted the cps so its at 0 tdc. Factory cam gears back in set at 0. And the car still runs, just as poorly as the video.. I'm really at a loss.. the cps is set with the little drill hole at the notch, and everything is in factory alignment notches, and yet it still refuses to run correctly...