Trying to plan out my future suspension setup

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
On a side note Shaeff and also IJ, why do Progressive springs suck so bad?
and specifically shaeff why did you not like your pro-kit?

Jerm

Apr 7, 2005
O.C.
Hey I got a question :D

So you say that the suspension is rising rate by design. How does the mechanism for that work?

Is that intrinsic to double-wishbone suspenion? Or is there a specific ...thing that does that

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
One thing that no one on here seems to say is, if you have a pre 89 Supra and you want to lower it slightly with slightly stiffer spring, the 89-92 springs were shorter and had a substantially stiffer rate.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hmm that would be nice, but I already have a 91, so apparently I am looking for even stiffer than that...

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
My ride is on H&R springs. They are the biggest drop and a stiff linear spring.
I scrape my downpipe on the taller speed bumps...not cool.
I still run the illumina IIs.
TEMS isn't very noticable once you move away from OEM spring rates.
Even though H&Rs are stiff, the supra will not be the honda that bounces, and ride quality is way better than an air bagged pickup.

I'm running Whiteline sway bars, medium setting up front and soft setting rear. They keep the car flat, and is much more predictable handling over stock sway bars if you happen to swing the rear out accidentally.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
thedave925;1337591 said:
My ride is on H&R springs. They are the biggest drop and a stiff linear spring.
I scrape my downpipe on the taller speed bumps...not cool.
I still run the illumina IIs.
TEMS isn't very noticable once you move away from OEM spring rates.
Even though H&Rs are stiff, the supra will not be the honda that bounces, and ride quality is way better than an air bagged pickup.

I'm running Whiteline sway bars, medium setting up front and soft setting rear. They keep the car flat, and is much more predictable handling over stock sway bars if you happen to swing the rear out accidentally.

Oh thanks, how do you like the Illuminas? That kind of a drop definitely has its downsides, I am not looking for a huge drop really, and I think the RSR's are what I have decided on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
From slammed to almost stock ride height GC.
slammed.jpg

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
IJ.;1337868 said:
From slammed to almost stock ride height GC.
slammed.jpg

It's cool to see folding mirrors lol.... I like that design better because when people walk by carelessly in parking lot they don't rip it off... Ans yeah that is pretty low

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Thats definitely low, I assume they aren't adjustable on the fly and the perch setting controls height? What do you normally have them set at for best ride, handling and probably most importantly weight transfer.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I think the illuminas with my drop are not the best combination. I've been salivating over bilsteins as a stiffer shock without going overkill.

I do believe switching to stiffer sways also negates the factory choice for ride height when it comes to roll center. I've never driven a stock supra so i don't know.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
I have a related question..

If I were to get H&Rs, can I add spring spacers to raise it so it doesn't scrape all the time?

what kind of effect would they have on the handling?