Trying to plan out my future suspension setup

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Ok everyone, I figured you could help out with this. :1zhelp:
I am trying to plan my suspension setup, and am planning on getting the Tokico Illumina II's to maintain the factory TEMS.
A few questions that I have is what are the best springs to match?
Best sway bars to match?
Keep in mind this is for a daily driver, so I would like a great balance between ride quality and handling, with a little bias on the handling side.
Another question is what is the difference between linear and progressive springs? The obvious is that the spring rates do and do not change respectively, but which is better for performance and which is better for ride quality?
All opinions welcome! :biglaugh:
My current thoughts are RSR race springs, with Whiteline adjustable sways and the Tokico's, this will be a harsher ride because of the high spring and sway bar rates. However, I am looking for the best handling combo that doesn't feel like I am on a seesaw because it's so stiff :)

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
Subscribed for this very same question. Linear spring rates stay the same stiffness regardless of how compressed it is. Progressive springs get stiffer and thus more harsh the more they are compressed. Progressive would probably suit our needs the best, as they are softer when cruising.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
IJ.;1336541 said:
Progressive both sucks and blows in a rising rate design like a Mk3 suspension.

So I take it you would prefer linear springs :naughty:

LOL what do you think of my setup over all? Does it sound okay for street use?
And what about mixing sway bar makers? IE, whiteline adjustables in the front, and Tanbes in the rear? I only ask this question because someone up there said stiffer sway bars don't hurt ride quality, and when looking at the sway bar review on here the Tanabes are the stiffest in the rear. But stiffest doesn't always mean best handling either which is why I am leaning toward whitelines for the adjustability. I'm hoping this would give me a little more fine tuning options.
Any ideas about the mixing of manufacturers?
Or of my hope filled WTB setup? lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I went with a matched pair of Whitelines (I chose the diameters when I had them made) if you mix and match you'll be the pioneer.

I'm running 650lb front and 375lb rear Eibach's here and it's fairly compliant but the bars are fairly stiff so it will lift a wheel under hard cornering so maybe not ideal (it's a good compromise for the real world though)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Ian thinks he owns an M3, lifting wheels and all...

And to add something productive, I had progressive springs on my Supra, and I hated every second of it.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
IJ.;1336996 said:
I went with a matched pair of Whitelines (I chose the diameters when I had them made) if you mix and match you'll be the pioneer.

I'm running 650lb front and 375lb rear Eibach's here and it's fairly compliant but the bars are fairly stiff so it will lift a wheel under hard cornering so maybe not ideal (it's a good compromise for the real world though)

Oh ok, are there different sets of Eibachs? because I believe you have progressive springs, and the spring rates according to 935 do not match what you have listed.. Are yours a custom setup? Here is the link for reference
http://www.935motorsports.com/mk3suprasprings.htm

And I see what you are saying about the stiffness, I may not want any stiffer than whitelines in the rear world, if yours lift off like that.. :biglaugh:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1337016 said:
No not progressives these are custom linear.

Shaeff: I WISH I had an M3 :D

The Pro-kit is progressive, which is what I had, and I hated it. (PRO in pro-kit means progressive;))

Ian, no you don't! LOL. PITA!

And to add some more value, the Eibach Pro Kit's spring rates:

Spring Rates (k value)
Front: 343-628 lb/in (60-110 N/mm)
Stock Front: 461 lb/in (80.8 N/mm)

Rear: 126-257 lb/in (22-45 N/mm)
Stock Rear: 215 lb/in (37.6 N/mm)

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Oh ok, lol yeah an M3 would be nice... if only ::w00t::
Well according to your past experiences, I suppose I should get RSR race springs, because they are linear and have fairly high spring rates. The Whitelines seem to be the best for the price range and have adjustability.

The only spot I think that would lack with this setup is the Tokico Illuminas.
I doubt that they are horrible shocks, but there are definitely better ones. However, retaining the TEMS feature is what I want, and these are the only option.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Oh yeah IJ how is the ride with the linear springs and your custom KONI shocks? stiff but bearable? daily driver comfortable? keep in mind yours should be stiffer than mine because IIRC you have poly busings, whereas I do not.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
shaeff;1337024 said:
The Pro-kit is progressive, which is what I had, and I hated it. (PRO in pro-kit means progressive;))

Ian, no you don't! LOL. PITA!

And to add some more value, the Eibach Pro Kit's spring rates:

Spring Rates (k value)
Front: 343-628 lb/in (60-110 N/mm)
Stock Front: 461 lb/in (80.8 N/mm)

Rear: 126-257 lb/in (22-45 N/mm)
Stock Rear: 215 lb/in (37.6 N/mm)

Thanks Shaeff, the link I posted has those spring rates and many others too! lol dont know if you have seen it before (probably have) but It is really helpful

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
IJ.;1337032 said:
A bit sketchy above 150mph at those settings though ;)

HAHA well I try not to flirt with suicide, she is a fickle and cranky old woman who could try and sneak attack me when I'm going that fast lol. Plus my car is probably not up to those standards yet until I do some bushing replacement and additional maintenance that never gets done lol.

That and California is full of so many people that I cant go 20 MPH before i see 500 cars in front of me blocking my path lol :nono:

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
IJ.;1337034 said:
Of course the above was only ever done on a closed circuit under strict supervision and driven by a professional idiot ;)

Oh yes... no doubt :)

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can piece my suspension goodies together over time, and let you know how it works out... T
hough this will be a long time in the making, because first things first restoration followed by modification. Unfortunately I am a dumb teen who bought a mk3 so restoration is difficult lol.