Trouble with boost over 1bar

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
When I reach 1bar of boost, it's like hitting a fuel cut or revlimiter.
The rpm arrow on the tacho begins to randomly jump from 3000-7000 rpm,
or sometimes at full throtlle hitting 1 bar of boost and 4000rpm in second gear tacho stops @ 4000 rpm mark and speed slowly keeps on rising with a huge loss of power.
If I set max boost to 0.8 bar, nothing wrong happens, everything is smooth and fine.
Almost everything connected with ignition is changed, but still no results.
I`m shure that the problem is with the ignition
but don`t know where
all the wiring checked twise still nothing

Engine 7m-gte `91
mods:

ARP Pro Series Head Bolts
Clevite Main & Rod Bearings
Wiseco Pistons & Rings - 7MGTE - 84mm Bore, .040 Oversize, 9.0 Comp Ratio
Eagle H Beams 4340 Forged Chromoly Steel Connecting Rods
Fidanza Built To Fly Flywheel
RPS Bronze Stage 5 Clutch Kit (Sprung Disk)
Titan Motorsports Head Gasket (Stopper style), 2.0mm
Toga High Volume Oil Pump
//Powerhouse Stainless Exhaust Manifold
Garret GT40
Greddy iridium sparkplugs 9
40mm UnKnown Wastegate
Custom Cooler & Piping
Spearco Intake
Custom 3` Exhaust
PIT Blow off Valve and Flange
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
WR Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
RC Engineering 750cc Injectors
Tein Super Street Suspension
Stop Tech break Pads
AEM standalone

:1zhelp:

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
First thing I would do is check for boost leaks. My car was doing "similiar" to that, and it was a boost leak. Probably wont fix the problem completely but its a place to start.

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
no boost leaks (checked few times)

my stand alone tuners tell me that I have problem with wiring
they insist on changing the whole wiring, too expensive, but I did check it for damages, twise, still no result.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
topgear;1013857 said:
my stand alone tuners tell me that I have problem with wiring
they insist on changing the whole wiring, too expensive, but I did check it for damages, twise, still no result.

Wiring is probably the first thing you'll want to fix. You can have the harness repaired and tested for around $400. Check with Dr. Tweak in the vendor's section.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Supra87T;1013903 said:
Wiring is probably the first thing you'll want to fix. You can have the harness repaired and tested for around $400. Check with Dr. Tweak in the vendor's section.

I was quoted ~$400 for a brand new harness (1990 car) from one of the forums toyota dealership vendors.

Something you might want to double check. The AEM does have it's own boost cut setting. You can find it in along with the rev limiter/2-step options window in AEM pro. If you have a laptop you can double check whether or not they might have activated it. However I believe it's off by default. But it's worth trying. I have mine set to cut at anything over 21psi and it might have saved my engine the other day when I forgot that my profec-B was disconnected from it's power source therefore allowing maximum(until it blows) boost. boost cut off course kicked in :icon_bigg

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
AEM`s boost cut setting cant check right now, but dont think its a problem, because I still have 1bar @ 3-4k rpm with no problem but @ 4.5 :aigo:

have tried many settings with the spark gaps, nothing happens
tried from 0.4 to 1.2mm

~$400 for a brand new harness
thats the prise that I`m willing to pay
but here, in estonia, i`m shure it`ll cost 1000$
must check with toyota dealers, cant say if it so or even more

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
topgear
stop doing that! You'll ruin engine.

IJ.
I almost sure, It's CPS problems. Engine is reving (speed goes up), but AEM doesn't see it (see tacho readings). So we have engine @5K rpms running at wrong tables cell (fuel and ignition). Very lean mixture + wrong ign advance make car behavior like fuel cut.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
topgear
Please post datalog file in *.csv format.
RPM, MAP, Ignition advance, AFR, injection time vs time.
Better to post 2 datalogs: small boost w/o "fuel cut" and problematic log.

PS: warning, grab logs at your own risk ;-)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mr. Y;1018902 said:
topgear
stop doing that! You'll ruin engine.

IJ.
I almost sure, It's CPS problems. Engine is reving (speed goes up), but AEM doesn't see it (see tacho readings). So we have engine @5K rpms running at wrong tables cell (fuel and ignition). Very lean mixture + wrong ign advance make car behavior like fuel cut.

It "should" throw a Sync/Ref error in that case.

The Tach thing sounds like Hard Cut.

Moved to Standalone for Joe's input.

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
today found something wierd
while was trying to drive outside of the garage
the aem began to shut on & off every second
hearing the fuel pump goes on & off
action was about 15 sec long

what can cause such thing ?

once same day, while driving, engine just shut off by unknown reason, tryed to start, nothig... but after a 1 min of waiting went on like nothing happend.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
turbo joe;1025856 said:
Maybe a loose ground connection.

That's what I was thiking. My car acted very similar because I didn't have it grounded properly. I added three grounding straps and it purred like a kitten. It was breaking up horribly at around 4500 under high booost. After the ground straps, it revv'd all the way to 7300 without a glitch.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
topgear;1025656 said:
today found something wierd
while was trying to drive outside of the garage
the aem began to shut on & off every second
hearing the fuel pump goes on & off
action was about 15 sec long

what can cause such thing ?

once same day, while driving, engine just shut off by unknown reason, tryed to start, nothig... but after a 1 min of waiting went on like nothing happend.

I'd be checking the MAP sensor wiring and CPS wiring. Wiggle all of the connections with the engine idling. If that checks out, give the EMS box the old "tap test". You need to see if it logs a synch or timing error when it does that "boost cut" (after you check the boost cut setting), then go from there.

If the AEM was set for a "hard cut" the camera would have hit the steering wheel in the video. :D It could be a soft cut or a 2 step or maybe they tried setting up the slew rate t/c and goofed it or something...

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
If the ECU turns off...it can really ony be one of two things...the positive wire or the negative wire. That could mean a bad ECU for sure (those two circuits go all the way inside)...but if it shuts off on its own, that shouldn't be hard to track down.