Tremec TR-6060 (T56 Magnum).. Going to try it. Any coments. Interest....

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
IJ.;1374819 said:
LOL you don't plan to but your engine easily has the power to do it ;)

just something to keep in mind that's all.

The engine might have it but I dont think the car would stay on the road =)... LOL... I like my life...

175mph was fast enough.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
IJ.;1374826 said:
Mine drives nicely at 155 but same not sure if I'm brave enough to try for the 200 ;)
(can't get there with the new engine without a diff change due to it's lower redline)

-----------------
Well, when I was a youngster back in the day and ran up and down the autobahn I probably would have tried it but now.......... nah. Front end would probably get pretty light at that speed. Ross called this evening but I was out of coverage area on my cell. I'll call him in the morning and see if I can close the deal for a bellhousing. I'm still trying to get all the info in one folder on the clutch, TOB etc. and make up my mind on the diff. This is exactly what I was looking for. cd

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
captdale;1375040 said:
-----------------
Well, when I was a youngster back in the day and ran up and down the autobahn I probably would have tried it but now.......... nah. Front end would probably get pretty light at that speed. Ross called this evening but I was out of coverage area on my cell. I'll call him in the morning and see if I can close the deal for a bellhousing. I'm still trying to get all the info in one folder on the clutch, TOB etc. and make up my mind on the diff. This is exactly what I was looking for. cd
---------------
IJ - 2JZ - little off topic but need your advice. My engine running 18 lbs boost really likes the stock TT crankcase breather setup but I just cringe at connecting the VC's to the intake manni and the turbo intake. What are you running that solves that problem please. cd

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1374805 said:
The V160 and the W58 have completely different gear ratios so I dont know exaclty how to answer your question...

R154
First Gear: 3.250:1
Second Gear: 1.955:1
Third Gear: 1.310:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.753:1

W58
First Gear: 3.285:1
Second Gear: 1.894:1
Third Gear: 1.275:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.783:1

V160
First gear: 3.830:1
Second gear: 2.360:1
Third gear: 1.680:1
Fourth gear: 1.310:1
Fifth gear: 1:1
Sixth gear: 0.790:1

V161
First gear: 3.724:1
Second gear: 2.246:1
Third gear: 1.541:1
Fourth gear: 1.205:1
Fifth gear: 1:1
Sixth gear: 0.818:1
The T-56 Magnum is offered in two gear ratio configurations.

2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00 .80, .63

and

2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, .74, .50

You can use 8" gear for toyota for the most part... .so there are lots of posibilities. if you want to just drop in a diff. you can choose from 3.73, 3.90, 4.3.

I will be running the 2.97 with 4.30 rear end and 26 tires. I might go higher on the diff.

I get little longer First. Second has higher torque, Third has higher torque. Fourth and Fifth are the same and Sixth is nice overdrive for the highway.

It would have been perfect if Fifth was .80 and Sixth was .63 but cant have it all... maybe later =)...
------------------
So I take it you ordered the 2.97 but feel you should have ordered the 2.66 ?? Actually when I graph all of these the 2.97 seems slightly best for all around. Depends on the diff ? cd

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
I like the 2.97 its perfect first through 4th. I wish it had the .80 5th and .64 6th. That would have gave slightly better torque in 5th gear and better acceleration in it. And i think the .5 6th is slightly too much...

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1375244 said:
I like the 2.97 its perfect first through 4th. I wish it had the .80 5th and .64 6th. That would have gave slightly better torque in 5th gear and better acceleration in it. And i think the .5 6th is slightly too much...
----------------------------
Here on Kauai I hardly ever get into 5th much less 6th. Speed limit is 50 and they are serious about enforcement. At the drags, top of 3rd and I'm done. I did get to have a nice converstion with Ross this morning and am good to go on the bellhousing. He said early Sept. or so. I'm now looking for the best source for the T-56. If you would, please list what you ended up choosing for the clutch, throwout, driveshaft etc so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. Take care cd

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1375244 said:

--------------
What is a good source for the Tremec ? cd

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
The tremecs I havent shopped around but i will probably get it from DDPerformance.
The clutch will be QuarterMaster 7.25" Dual Rally or Iron Triple. Depending on what one holds. Im hoping tremec will release the Ford trans with 6.5" imput shaft later on this year. I might get that one...and use my existing Spec clutch. Love the spec engaugement and it holds nice.
Trowout I dont know for sure but it will probably be Tilton, Mcleaud, or Quarter Master.
Shaft Masters made me teh last drive shaft and I was very pelased with them so i will probabaly get one made there.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1375557 said:
The tremecs I havent shopped around but i will probably get it from DDPerformance.
The clutch will be QuarterMaster 7.25" Dual Rally or Iron Triple. Depending on what one holds. Im hoping tremec will release the Ford trans with 6.5" imput shaft later on this year. I might get that one...and use my existing Spec clutch. Love the spec engaugement and it holds nice.
Trowout I dont know for sure but it will probably be Tilton, Mcleaud, or Quarter Master.
Shaft Masters made me teh last drive shaft and I was very pelased with them so i will probabaly get one made there.

-------------------
Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. I was talking with JEGS about the Tremec and they said that Tremec made two types of T-56 Magnum that had slightly different front flange hole pattern depending on if it was for a GM or a Ford bellhousing. If that is so, what is the pattern that QuickTime is making ? cd

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
captdale;1375565 said:
-------------------
Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. I was talking with JEGS about the Tremec and they said that Tremec made two types of T-56 Magnum that had slightly different front flange hole pattern depending on if it was for a GM or a Ford bellhousing. If that is so, what is the pattern that QuickTime is making ? cd

Are you using the Spec Super Twin ?

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Quick time has not started production yet on the bellhousing. So that could be changed at any time. They have ploted both paters (ford and chevy)
Tremec doenst have all the final specs on the new ford transmission. I dont know what the exact input shaft would look like and what the spline lenght would be and so on. I will be calling them at the end of Aug. To see if the design was finalized. If so then the bellhousing will have Ford bolt patern most likely. If not It will be Chevy.
Generaly the fords have 2.5" section of splines and the GM's have 2.1" . The longer spline will allow for the Spec clutch. It would just need new disks.
Yes it is Super Twin.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1376147 said:
Quick time has not started production yet on the bellhousing. So that could be changed at any time. They have ploted both paters (ford and chevy)
Tremec doenst have all the final specs on the new ford transmission. I dont know what the exact input shaft would look like and what the spline lenght would be and so on. I will be calling them at the end of Aug. To see if the design was finalized. If so then the bellhousing will have Ford bolt patern most likely. If not It will be Chevy.
Generaly the fords have 2.5" section of splines and the GM's have 2.1" . The longer spline will allow for the Spec clutch. It would just need new disks.
Yes it is Super Twin.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
The bolt pattern really doesnt change much in what clutch could be ran the splines do... The longer the splines the ticker the clutch could be. ( obviously)
The cheaper QuarterMaster alternative would still be possible if that is what you wanted.
What we want is input shaft of 6.5 inches with the widest possible spline. The Supra has a splines 2.7" from what I remember.

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
2JZ_MA70;1376388 said:
The bolt pattern really doesnt change much in what clutch could be ran the splines do... The longer the splines the ticker the clutch could be. ( obviously)
The cheaper QuarterMaster alternative would still be possible if that is what you wanted.
What we want is input shaft of 6.5 inches with the widest possible spline. The Supra has a splines 2.7" from what I remember.
-------------
Jim Avril from Tremec says the bolt patterns are the same. That makes sense. I ordered the T-56 (2.97) from D&D this morning along with the TOB that Ross recommended. The Driveshaft is not a concern but I still do have to locate a LSD of some kind. The saga continues. cd

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
OneJArpus;1374281 said:
effin hawt!

IJ - I'm looking at your diff setup and have some questions. It would really help if you could list the P.N.'s of the TT Center, Housing etc. So - is this a TT Supra rear suspension including axles but with the Ford 9" diff ? If so, did you only have to make the spacers in order for the diff it fit ? Did you have to shorten the axles ? In addition to some brace/mounting work of course. As Ford made a ton of slightly different 9" cases, which one did you use ? I'm looking at this seriously as I did order the T-56 magnum and now need a good diff and this looks like its the real deal. Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated. cd

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TT?

It's a modified JZA70 subframe, The axles are custom with the GM spline one end Toyota the other.

I used an early Falcon diff housing but if I were to do it again I'd find something that's already big and IRS as the custom parts mean the rear end has cost more than most cars here on SM.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i've seen pic's of the jza80 diff in the mkIII subframe.might be an easier alternative because they share the same number of spline's on the hub's

captdale

Aug 29, 2008
hawaii
IJ.;1378013 said:
TT?

It's a modified JZA70 subframe, The axles are custom with the GM spline one end Toyota the other.

I used an early Falcon diff housing but if I were to do it again I'd find something that's already big and IRS as the custom parts mean the rear end has cost more than most cars here on SM.
---------------------
TT Twin Turbo.

Early falcon. Okay. got it. Very nice job on that build. I'll bet you never broke that big boy !! Any suggestions which vehicles used the Big IRS ?? To mod the falcon, no wonder the $$$ was up there. I'll be cruising the wrecking yard this weekend for sure. Thank you very much. cd