Tremec TR-6060 (T56 Magnum).. Going to try it. Any coments. Interest....

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
I have been looking for a solution to the R154 breaking all the time even with the upgraded parts. I dont want to spend 1-2k on a junk v160 that would need 2k in rebuilding or 3-4k on used unit that may need synchros in the future or 5-6k on a new one. I would like something that I can invest 3-5k and know that even if it needs something it would not cost me 2k + to repair.

here is the rundown.

"The kingpin of TREMEC’s high performance line-up, the all-new T-56 Magnum takes the very best from our current OEM technologies and pairs it with the most popular features of our all-business TKO 5-speed. Able to withstand a massive 700 lb-ft. of torque while providing unbelievably crisp shifts, no other manual transmission on the planet offers as much combined strength, versatility, and general ease of use as the T-56 Magnum. Known in its O.E. form as the ‘TR-6060’, the Magnum is an aftermarket version of the same transmission found in many of today’s most celebrated factory super cars–including the ZR1 Corvette and sinister ACR Viper. A world-class transmission in every respect, it’s the best transmission on the market for those who will accept nothing less."

It also features internal pump that would keep everything lubricated even at high acceleration braking cornering...

It has triple bronze synchros in first and second and dual in third and fourth.

2.97,2.10,1.43,1,.74,.5 gear ratios. Its very close to the R. It would be great with 4.30 gear in the back.

Considering the r154 is rated ~250-300ft/lb and the v160 is ~500 the TR-6060 is far more suitable at high power. The factory rating is much lower than the actual real world rating... dont jump on my throat yet...

The shifter location is very close to the factory one (1-2"), the motor mount would come back 2-3 inches. The drive shaft should be shortened. But any of these would have to be considered when switching to TH350... so they are not relevant.

The cost of the trans is 2800 new!!! Its not cheap but it will hold. The clutch would have to be modified from pull to push and 26 spline x 1.125.... that is about it.

Spec Super Twin for Supra splined for Ford and Ford input shaft will work spline leinght and depth is ok. The input shaft would be turned down to accept the stock pilot bearing (.66" Ford and 12mm Toyota.) Nothing a local machine shop could not do.

Quick Time Inc... has agreed to make me a bell housing for ~600.

Dimentionaly the trans fits in the tunel for the most part. There will be slight modificating to be done but nothing exessive.

Its not a swap for everyone but it will be nice when its done.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
um, the 26 spline 1.125in is a chevy pattern. not ford. also cant you just find a pilot bearing to fit the crank and the trans? thats what i did for my t56. turned out to be an off the shelf civic pilot bearing. sounds like an awesome trans. if i can ever afford the new price ill grab one to replace the current t56 i have to install.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
The T56 I have setting in the garage has lower ratio top gears.
2.97 1st, 1.89 2nd, 1.34 3rd, 1.0 4th, .80 5th, and .62 6th.
(p/n 1386-000-011)
And I am going to 4.88 rear gears, which will still put the top end close to 200mph.

I have a Quartermaster twin 8.5" clutch, that I have to redrill my billet 7M flywheel to accept,
(p/n 882-109-005 , http://www.quartermasterusa.com )
and machine a little off the legs of the clutch basket to get the pre-load correct.

I bought the Toyota adaptor plate from a local guy that goes on a W58 bell housing, and matches the TKO500 trans bolt pattern,
and the T-56 came with a T5 adaptor plate.
I doubt if I can use both adaptor plates together,
but I will be able to make a third adaptor plate by transfering the required hole patterns to a new piece of plate.

And the pilot bearing is Nachi p/n PB12, for 1988-05 Honda Civic/CRX/Del Sol

Just waiting to finish the build on the engine,
and to pick up a sacraficial W58 bell housing that I can chop inspection windows in to make sure everything is fitting correctly.
And to get a better idea what hydraulic throw-out assembly I'll use.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
I tought about geting the W58, T5 addapter deal going but by the time is all set and done you have a mess that would cost close to $600 which is what the bell housing is costing me. and it would be much cleaner stronger install.

Check out these bearings they mount on the t56 GM no problems...
http://www.mcleodind.com/application_guide_pgs/HYDTOB_BoltOn.html

here is what quick time has done as far as the bellhousings. and more info on the trans.

http://www.ddperformance.com/magnum.html

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/pdf/TRMC-R2-0409_reduced_198.pdf

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/index.php?cPath=107_112_140

Ross at Quick Time told me that he has been wanting to get something like that done for a while now and a custom one off piece would have cost me $2000+... I gues i got luckly... =)

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
williamb82;1361259 said:
um, the 26 spline 1.125in is a chevy pattern. not ford. also cant you just find a pilot bearing to fit the crank and the trans? thats what i did for my t56. turned out to be an off the shelf civic pilot bearing. sounds like an awesome trans. if i can ever afford the new price ill grab one to replace the current t56 i have to install.

Everyone is going to the 26 spline patern. All the new fords are 26... The Fords have longer spline lenght by 1/2 inch and it would accomodate dual and triple clutches easyer. (2.12 in the GM and 2.60 in the Ford, 2.75 in the Toyota.) The Imput shaft from bearing mounting surface is 6.49 in the GM 6.51 ford, ~6.5 toyota. My Spec clutch needs just the right clearance.

Pilot bearing wise(.660" ford) no bearing that I have found... I will be turning the shaft down to the Toyota size (12mm) and use that bearing, or if i can use bigger bearing I might go with the GM (.600")

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
gofastgeorge;1361362 said:
The T56 I have setting in the garage has lower ratio top gears.
2.97 1st, 1.89 2nd, 1.34 3rd, 1.0 4th, .80 5th, and .62 6th.
(p/n 1386-000-011)
And I am going to 4.88 rear gears, which will still put the top end close to 200mph.

I have a Quartermaster twin 8.5" clutch, that I have to redrill my billet 7M flywheel to accept,
(p/n 882-109-005 , http://www.quartermasterusa.com )
and machine a little off the legs of the clutch basket to get the pre-load correct.

I bought the Toyota adaptor plate from a local guy that goes on a W58 bell housing, and matches the TKO500 trans bolt pattern,
and the T-56 came with a T5 adaptor plate.
I doubt if I can use both adaptor plates together,
but I will be able to make a third adaptor plate by transfering the required hole patterns to a new piece of plate.

And the pilot bearing is Nachi p/n PB12, for 1988-05 Honda Civic/CRX/Del Sol

Just waiting to finish the build on the engine,
and to pick up a sacraficial W58 bell housing that I can chop inspection windows in to make sure everything is fitting correctly.
And to get a better idea what hydraulic throw-out assembly I'll use.

what engine? i thought of redrilling a flywheel for my 7.25in tripple plate but the friction surface of the 7m and 5m flywheels doesnt come in toward the center enough. still waiting on the custom flywheel a friend is having produced through a vendor.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
williamb82;1361386 said:
what engine? i thought of redrilling a flywheel for my 7.25in tripple plate but the friction surface of the 7m and 5m flywheels doesnt come in toward the center enough. still waiting on the custom flywheel a friend is having produced through a vendor.

7M.........
I know, I am stuck in the past :naughty:

The actual clutch surface on the flywheel has to be cut down to match the smaller Quartermaster plates.
No big problem.

Custom flywheel ?
Who ?
Where ?
How much ?

I had looked at an OS Giken,
since they are coming out with a set-up for the vette, and could supply the correct splines in the disks,
but the price was damn high, and finding a halfway good OS 7M flywheel any more is next to impossible.

The Quartermaster was less than a grand, and takes just a little machine work to mate to the 7M flywheel.

big yoggz

2JZ_MA70;1361155 said:
I have been looking for a solution to the R154 breaking all the time even with the upgraded parts. I dont want to spend 1-2k on a junk v160 that would need 2k in rebuilding or 3-4k on used unit that may need synchros in the future or 5-6k on a new one. I would like something that I can invest 3-5k and know that even if it needs something it would not cost me 2k + to repair.

here is the rundown.

"The kingpin of TREMEC’s high performance line-up, the all-new T-56 Magnum takes the very best from our current OEM technologies and pairs it with the most popular features of our all-business TKO 5-speed. Able to withstand a massive 700 lb-ft. of torque while providing unbelievably crisp shifts, no other manual transmission on the planet offers as much combined strength, versatility, and general ease of use as the T-56 Magnum. Known in its O.E. form as the ‘TR-6060’, the Magnum is an aftermarket version of the same transmission found in many of today’s most celebrated factory super cars–including the ZR1 Corvette and sinister ACR Viper. A world-class transmission in every respect, it’s the best transmission on the market for those who will accept nothing less."

It also features internal pump that would keep everything lubricated even at high acceleration braking cornering...

It has triple bronze synchros in first and second and dual in third and fourth.

2.97,2.10,1.43,1,.74,.5 gear ratios. Its very close to the R. It would be great with 4.30 gear in the back.

Considering the r154 is rated ~250-300ft/lb and the v160 is ~500 the TR-6060 is far more suitable at high power. The factory rating is much lower than the actual real world rating... dont jump on my throat yet...

The shifter location is very close to the factory one (1-2"), the motor mount would come back 2-3 inches. The drive shaft should be shortened. But any of these would have to be considered when switching to TH350... so they are not relevant.

The cost of the trans is 2800 new!!! Its not cheap but it will hold. The clutch would have to be modified from pull to push and 26 spline x 1.125.... that is about it.

Spec Super Twin for Supra splined for Ford and Ford input shaft will work spline leinght and depth is ok. The input shaft would be turned down to accept the stock pilot bearing (.66" Ford and 12mm Toyota.) Nothing a local machine shop could not do.

Quick Time Inc... has agreed to make me a bell housing for ~600.

Dimentionaly the trans fits in the tunel for the most part. There will be slight modificating to be done but nothing exessive.

Its not a swap for everyone but it will be nice when its done.

Just to let u know if u r looking for a v160 Titan motorsports have a new v160 for $4600. In witch I don't think it's bad for a new one. I hope I was able to help with the info

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
2JZ_MA70;1361409 said:
Has any of you put it in the tunel to see how much fitment isues there might be???

No.............

But I expect to do sheet metal work :aigo:

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
From memory there's a 15mm interference fit back in the tunnel between the seats, for me this was a show stopper as at that time my car was Virgin and I didn't want to cut into it, these days not so much ;)

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Yeah I dont care even if I have to cut and refab the entire tunel I know I will only have to do it once... 15mm is not bad Air Hammer can fix that easy. Im geting a tunel cut out of a old junk body this weakend and I will see exactly what needs to be modified.

Last edited:

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Well I sent out the parts to Quick Time.... (bell housing, Case and Input Shaft... ) now I wait for the T-56 Bell housing. He is only making one batch for me right now. He also sad there will not be future production... If you are interested in this swap call him see what he can do for you.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Who do I call? I'm having transmission problems and clutch problems at the time and this might be what I need. Thanks.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
suprahero;1365038 said:
Who do I call? I'm having transmission problems and clutch problems at the time and this might be what I need. Thanks.

Quick Time Inc... Ross McCombs. He doesn't have the bellhousing yet but it would be there by the end of the week or early next week. He would be able to tell me more once he sees everything. Just let him know that you are also interested in the 2JZ-T56 bellhousing.