transmission switching?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i managed to score a parts car for 400 even though it is w58 (i will go r154 when this blows i just wanted a 5 speed again)..it had everything i need, just went ahead and bought a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel, master cylinder, slave cylinder...i say call up a buddy and learn a few things...costs ya soda, beer whichever the friend prefers and maybe something to eat. good luck! doing the swap myself costed me around 850 as i bought a spec stage 3 clutch to hold the power and last longer then a stock one would...also sold a few parts from the car so maybe ended up being less in the long run :]

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Poodles;1134528 said:
Toyota's autos are better than most with their ECT, but it's still called a slush box for a reason...

Not mine! It'll snap your head off your shoulders (on hard acceleration) if your not ready for it.

I use a shortened shifter (I hated the "station wagon" looking stock shifter) and replaced the od lockout ,and mounted a softswitch push button on the steering wheel, it works out great.
p1134553_1.jpg

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
well this whole thread turned into what we perfer or what we think of toyotas mastermind craftsmanship...but the 5spd swap isnt impossible chances are a supra owner is doing one right now lol....or swaping back to a auto...watever u do gl with it and let us know how it goes...start building that ma70 or jza70 whch ever one u have and lets see it rip

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
stock autos are super smooth but manual is just so much more fun!
i live pretty close to you and could help have all the tools needed to do the job.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
suprastanger507mgte;1134613 said:
my experience......horrible IJ./QUOTE]

Horrible? Could you elaborate?

As compared to other stock auto's? Or/and do you mean a340's have poor build quality? bad electronics? No build potential.

To make a bold statement like the a340 is "horrible" without any explaination isn't very persuasive. It seems more like bashing. :kickinthenuts:

I agree that there are better transmissions for specific applications, but the a 340 is not a bad trans at all. The only reason I personally would ever consider a different trans for my Supra is because you can't build a trans brake into an a340. But like I said, that is strictly a specific application that most folks don't need/want.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
webbs7mgte;1134556 said:
well this whole thread turned into what we perfer or what we think of toyotas mastermind craftsmanship...but the 5spd swap isnt impossible chances are a supra owner is doing one right now lol....or swaping back to a auto...watever u do gl with it and let us know how it goes...start building that ma70 or jza70 whch ever one u have and lets see it rip

No actually I posted my personal experience using the best manual and best auto scenarios, as I said a few pages back it will come down to what she wants to do but done properly the auto is a viable alternate.

There are so many low cost mods available it would be silly not to try them before going to the expense/hassle of swapping in a 5 speed and then trying to justify that it's "more fun" to cover the mistake ;)