transmission switching?

92turbohardtop

Aug 26, 2008
modesto, ca
my car has an automatic transmission, and that is fine and all..but i learned how to drive with a stick shift ford ranger... and it seems to me that the whole driving experience is truly enhanced even if it is just a little by having a manual transmission.

so.. i tried searching for the last 15 minutes or so to see if i could find something and as you can guess by my post here, i couldn't not.. maybe i am just a dumb girl.. i hope i don't upset anyone, but i am just looking for some kind of idea how much trouble it would be to do a transmission switch... i would probably have a shop do it, i dont know anyone who is good with cars or anything, so i mean.. if i could learn to do it then i will... but only if it isnt a MASSIVE project.. i don't want to break my baby!

so.. i guess my two questions are
1) difficulty
2) price to have a shop do it<ballpark figure i know all shops vary>

and i am sorry if i am being a burden!!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not a huge hassle to do the swap but as someone that went the other way (Stick to Auto) I wouldn't bother as the Auto is superior in every way :)

I'm sure people will disagree and hopefully jump in with accurate pricing.

92turbohardtop

Aug 26, 2008
modesto, ca
how is it superior? does it last longer or something? from what i understand though, automatics are quit a bit more expensive to work on when they go dead.... is this information incorrect?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
All depends on the power level you have in mind, yes an Auto is more exe to rebuild/repair until you atart making good power then getting a clutch/flywheel combination that will live and be drivable is damn expensive.

Beauty of the auto is there's not a whole lot of price difference building one to cope with stock to 550rwhp so the upgrade path is easier.

My car is so much nicer/faster/smoother to drive being auto.

Add a programable trans controller and you can adjust the shifts to however you like. :)

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I like an automatic just fine. It was cheaper to swap the 5spd in, than rebuild my auto. I do agree that a manual transmission is more fun to drive, adding to the more sporting nature of the car. I don't want to know how much money IJ has in his Auto build up.

To me the most important part of the swap was getting the cruise control to work and the clutch pedal safety switch in properly. Make sure your shop can do this.
My swap including the transmission rebuild, install, and labor was $1500.

CWD

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
92, having done the swap myself going from an Automatic to a 5 speed let me chime in with my 2cents.

1) I would not pay anyone to work on any of my cars. Take the time to read learn and do on your own. If not, owning and maintaining a Supra will most likely drive you to selling it.

2) What I liked about having my automatic in place...

A)Refinement, i.e smoothness seemed to fit the car well. B) Less hassle in traffic. C) Shift points were crisp and it seemed that the turbo boost remained closer to constant between shifts. Since I am older, I must also add it just seemed like a more "relaxed" driving experience.

3) What I like about having my 5 speed in place...

A) ""Feels" more like a sports car. B) An opinion, better overall control while on twisty turny 2 lane blacktop. C) Ability to push start. D) Less complicated.
and that's coming from an old Auto trans tech that made his living on TH-350's 400's etc. E) Cost. I have no idea what Ian put into his automatic, but to get a good converter, clutch packs and such I was seeing in the $3 - $4000 dollar range, and that's doing my own rebuild.

There are a multitude of threads covering this swap. Use the search tab and type in 5 speed swap.. here are a few to start you off.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10942

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49758

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75225

http://http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53498

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
ya well ocme on IJ we all know the stick reigns i had a auto trans that was Fd to no other tore it apart and looked and thought damn where can i toss this to get it out of my garage and my ansewer is is itll dont know still sits int here but the conversion isnt hard you will need to order slave cylinders and master cylinders and to make the clutch line easy just go ss braided now but many companies out their sell kits or sell the stainless line and nopi sells tokico master and slaves idk how good they are but needless to say they sell them when i use dot build hondas i ran their slave and masters and never had a problem(just make sure you bleed it proprely) but it is very well possible and we hope to see another 5spd supra otu their(my idea swap in a 2j and spend about 4grand and buy the getrag v160) 6SPEED FTMFW lol

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Yellow 13;1133954 said:
If you source the parts I could do it cheaper than any shop.

I've done an Auto>Manual swap on an NA awhile back. Took a day and a half IIRC just messing around.

Just don't strip any bolts , eh lol

Its fairly staight forward job. I just did one on a black 1992 a few weeks ago.
You will need to source the tranny, brake and clutch pedals from , slave and master cylinder, clutch lines,
You will need to get a clutch setup as well.

The brake and clutch pedals does not have to be from a turbo car, I know junkyards locally have a few supras sitting around. You will need to replace the short piece of the speedo cable as well as the auto one is long, angled and will break.

Expect to pay at least $500-600 for parts for the swap and a nother few hundred for the clutch /pressure plate/bearings setup.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
To buy a 6 speed is worth more than most of the cars here, add to that you need to source a low 3's Diff for it to be of any use and it's just not an option for most.

My built Auto was surprisingly affordable and it's been hammered since I installed it without a whimper and drives perfectly.

By the time you start making decent HP and get a clutch to hold it forget about the car being nice to drive as the clutch is going to be a switch.

I'm NOT saying not to do the 5 speed swap just that it comes at a price other than $$$ ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's heavily personal preferance, and IJ and me always argue on this subject :D

Personally, there is nothing more fun than grabbing a gear, flooring it and passing someone, or downshifting hard to make a corner... If I had to sit in downtown traffic everyday, I'd fucking hate it though and I'd want an auto...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nah, it's floor it....wait.....OH IT FOUND THE GEAR, then vroooooom

Me, pop clutch, grab shifter downshift and be in boost and torque instantly :D

Built auto with a tranny controller is cheating and you know it :D

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
doesn't it seem like we all argue with IJ and 99% of us loose lol we should make a new game show...are you smarter than IJ screw that 5th grader crap lmao....but i agree the price of the 6spd is ridiclous i wish there was like some super secret supra junk yard...and go snatch all of the parts i need lol...but in your opinion its watever you deicde is better to drive for you so take that and think..would you like to get in your car put it in drive and just be able to go...or do you mind having fancy footwork and shifting in and out of gears...IMO GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...GO 5SPD OR 6SPD...no pressure :biglaugh:

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
there definitly slow on the grab to me i think...also they just dont have that torque feel...it seems like they always wanna be in grandma mode:3d_frown:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
IJ.;1134477 said:
Never driven a stock Auto, are they really that bad?

I think that probably applies to a worn out auto than a nice crisp new one (which a lot of people with autos in their supras have never experienced).

My a340 is built (kevlar clutches, modified valve body, cryo'd internals etc.) and I haven't driven a stock one for a while, but I don't remember it as being too bad... I just burned up the stock tc at the local drag strip.

I will say that I am sure I could benefit from a ETC upgrade, but again that doesn't apply to everyone and I probably wouldn't even consider it on a stock trans.

IJ: I'm guessing by your post that you are running some kind of standalone in place of the stock ETC as I've not heard of any kind of mod or piggyback for the stock controller. I do remember there was a guy who sold a fully manual controller iirc. I think he may have even had a paddle shifter set-up available and maybe a valve body, not sure. I can't recall the details though.