Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
JMDigital said:
If anyone is interested I got an email from a Carbon Fiber place that can make a custom cover for this. If someone can design it I can send it to him and he will tell us a price.

this is the website. He allready has custom parts for the MK3
http://www.carbontrix.com/

That would be cool, something like I made with louvers?

I just posted pics installed with the brackets in the first post to keep the whole writeup together.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
First of all, I just gotta tell you how sweet I think this mod is. Its amazing that it was so simple all along. You are awesome Tookwik for taking the time to do the research. Whats so even more awesome, is that you so openly and freely share your info with everyone. You could just as easily not have said a word about how you did this and let everyone suffer in a state of ignition uncoolness.

Second, can I be the official 2'nd person to have done it? :icon_bigg

p545242_1.jpg

p545242_2.jpg

Ryan

P.S. Sorry for jacking those coils from you on Ebay Tookwik!

Last edited:

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Enraged said:
ordered mine today, $90 shipped.

if anyone else wants a set, ive been in contact with 2 people, one wants $150 shipped, the other $160 shipped.

I got mine for $105 shipped. I also know of another person who will let them go for $115 shipped. LMK and I'll give you the info.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
90T04 said:
Second, can I be the official 2'nd person to have done it? :icon_bigg

If you're the second, I'll soon be the 3rd! I got my coils in the mail today :)

I paid 85 shipped for mine, just so you guys have a reference.

SolidStateS15

researcher
Jan 11, 2007
Southern MD
where are you guys getting them for cheap, used i assume? i'm also in contact with magnecor on a set of wires for these so i'll let you know how that goes. obviously they don't make a set now, but the guy said they should have the right parts for it if i sent a pic of them. so i just e-mailed the pic, and i'm waiting to hear back with part numbers to be able to order the parts to build them ourselves till they actually make a real set.

thanks tookwik for sharing this great writeup, it's going to help so many of us out that were searching for something like this. like all of you i've been looking down every avenue for which setup would work the best, and when i came across this i was so excited. def the best plan out there, so simple and looks great. can't wait for my engine to be finished so i can try this out.

Last edited:

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
90T04.....very cool, now fix up the harness and get it running:)

Solidstate / Jeff......I would def agree from what I found reading up that the oem wires are sufficient, plenty of guys running high horse on stock coils/wires in the IS world. I would use stock or NGK, I bought new from Toyota.

Ideal..... I made them from some stainless I trimmed off making that generic cover, cut the piece out with a cutoff wheel and bent the tabs down.

I'll be happy to see you guys running the setup out there and hear feedback. I wish I was driving my car around but I'm on a mission with some projects:) I am so happy that bump/miss at idle is gone. If anyone else out there has that, and this cures it..... LMK.

SolidStateS15

researcher
Jan 11, 2007
Southern MD
tookwik4u89 said:
Solidstate / Jeff......I would def agree from what I found reading up that the oem wires are sufficient, plenty of guys running high horse on stock coils/wires in the IS world. I would use stock or NGK, I bought new from Toyota.

yeah i am sure the stockers are sufficient, but i'm usually not satisfied with "just sufficient". i like to go beyond and be prepared, also it can't hurt to go bigger if one wants to spend the money. i just don't see 5mm being that great or lasting nearly as long. if we can show enough interest in these i'm sure magnecor will start production of them. i'll get the details first, maybe they can't even make any. i'll post what i find out.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
i bought mine from a salvage yard in wisconson, hes shipping them out today or tomorrow.

on a side note, im getting the aluminum valley cover punched out in the next day or two at work, im making extra to sell, so ill post pics and price as soon as i have them in hand. dont worry, wont be expensive :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nice work Ken. I was wanting coilpacks real bad also, so I chose to go with the 1jz............:biglaugh:

Your engine bay just keeps getting sexier and sexier. Can't wait to see it in Chicago..........:love:

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
so all you do for the harness is extend the factory coil pack harness(7m) and then it just plugs into the lexus coils. correct?

I am doing this 100% for sure.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
need new tires said:
so all you do for the harness is extend the factory coil pack harness(7m) and then it just plugs into the lexus coils. correct?

I am doing this 100% for sure.

Yep! Nice and simple.