Tokico HP, KYB GR-2, Illuminas... Which One?

Which shocks should I use?

• Get the Tokico Illumina II's (TEMS, $450). They're worth the extra money.

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Get the Tokico HP's ($240). It's not worth the money to keep TEMS.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Get the KYB GR-2's ($160). Best bang for the buck!

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Get something else, you moron! (Please tell me which ones)

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So I'm trying to decide which shocks to use when I update my suspension this summer. I was originally planning to go with Tokico Illuminas so I can keeps TEMS, but since the setup is only going to be in place for a few years (until I can afford coilovers), I don't really see much point in spending the extra cash on them. The problem now is deciding which inexpensive shock to use. I'm unemployed, so right now cost is a factor, as much as I wish it wasn't.

The two biggest contenders are the Tokico HP and the KYB GR-2. I've heard people are generally pretty pleased with them. Or is it worth the extra few hundred bucks to get the Illuminas and keep TEMS?

What have you guys done, and which do you like?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd ditch the tems, i have the tokico blues hp, love them man!! I'd opt for the bilsteins but they're pricy though :(

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Mastapip;1484038 said:
What are you planning on doing with the car? Drag? Autocross? Road Racing? Or just a fun DD?

I have another full time DD, so this is entertainment only. Eventually it will be a road race car, but for the time being it's a nice-weather fun car. I won't start racing until I've got the money for a good coilover setup.

I'll be pairing the shocks up with RS*R race springs as well.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
i got a set of Tokico Illumina II's myself, and im totaly loving them, since i use my MKIII as a daily, its nice to be able to drive on normal, then when im out bouncing around, just hit the switch and stiffen everything up.

Tokico Illumina II (with tems), EIBACH lowering springs, ST Anti-Sway Bars, with that set that ive gone with, im totaly loving the corners, but still like the daily feel.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
If you're not planning on lowering the car until you get coilovers, I'd say go with the KYB's or Tokiko HP's.

If you're planning on doing any kind of lowering or racing before you go with coilovers, then I'd spend my money on some Bilsteins. They're the same price as Illuminas, and they have adjustable spring trees, not to mention they're stiff as hell (stiffer than Tokikos).

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Unless you have the RS*R springs already, good luck getting them. They're either on a long ass backorder, or are discontinued.

I voted "other". Look into coilovers. There are some out there that are both height and dampening adjustable, and will better suit you than shocks and springs.

Also, in the long run, you won't be shooting yourself in the foot by spending your money twice.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Moy;1485621 said:
Unless you have the RS*R springs already, good luck getting them. They're either on a long ass backorder, or are discontinued.

I voted "other". Look into coilovers. There are some out there that are both height and dampening adjustable, and will better suit you than shocks and springs.

Also, in the long run, you won't be shooting yourself in the foot by spending your money twice.

It's true that I'll be spending money twice, but my shocks are shot, and I can't afford coilovers, so I don't really have any options.

According to RS*R's web page, the springs are still available. I'll be placing an order within the next few days. Hopefully you're wrong about the availability.

But in regards to the shocks... I still don't know what I'm gonna go with.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
When I was at SupraSport about 3/4 of the way through 2009 (can't remember exact month), I asked Jack about those springs and said they were on a 6+ month back order IIRC

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
I went Koni struts and RSR race springs a while back. They performed great, till my lil rubber bushings on the pillow mount went out. Then I went with some coilovers; never been happier.

I may have the Koni adjustables and RSRs for sale if youre interested. LMK only around 3-4k miles on em.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
Zerocool;1486126 said:
Bilstein shocks with eibach springs ftw

x3

I wouldn't use Tokico Illuminas with anything but a stock spring. They suck on a lowered car. If your going to waste money on TEM's compatible shocks, why not spend it on a good set of Bilsteins?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Zerocool;1486126 said:
Bilstein shocks with eibach springs ftw

i have the bilstein height adjustable shocks with eibachs. love the ride quality of the bilsteins but hate the cornering of the eibachs. on my old car i had tokico blues hp with h&r's and absolutely love the ride quality. was a bit stiff but i hit the canyons a lot.

ive compared the height of eibachs with normal shocks and mine are about .5-1in lower because of the adj shocks.

if i were to change springs id go with the h&r's. they handle greatwith very little body roll with stock sway bars and i could only imagine how they would handle with sway bars for a spring/shock combo.

the tokicos do a great job for the price(i payed 50/shock) but if you search long enough threw google you could prolly find them for 30/each.

but...i have drove a tems car with good shocks(stock springs) and my god the car rode as smooth as a caddy with good suspension and for a dd that would be nice and you always have the option of stiffening up the shocks for a lil performance and the springs would help a lot also.

my car was originally a tems car too but really i dont seem to care as i like my car stiff at all times just incase i come around a fun corner.(tems takes a few sec to change between the normal and sport modes)

all in all imo the best shock out there is the bilsteins and they have lifetime warrenty with free rebuilds and well worth the cash.

thats my input.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
When I had my setup it handled great! I had the Eibach pro kit on the car, now Nick88 has that car but when I owned it handled great in the mountains, I'd go on mountain runs just for fun. Now I have JIC coilovers, I dont drive my current supra much but I like firm rides.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Neodeuccio;1485674 said:
It's true that I'll be spending money twice, but my shocks are shot, and I can't afford coilovers, so I don't really have any options.

According to RS*R's web page, the springs are still available. I'll be placing an order within the next few days. Hopefully you're wrong about the availability.

But in regards to the shocks... I still don't know what I'm gonna go with.

Dont bother getting springs then, just replace the struts.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
steven89;1486117 said:
I went Koni struts and RSR race springs a while back. They performed great, till my lil rubber bushings on the pillow mount went out. Then I went with some coilovers; never been happier.

I may have the Koni adjustables and RSRs for sale if youre interested. LMK only around 3-4k miles on em.

Sent you a PM.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
any opinions on the stock bilsteins that went on the JZA71's? i got mines off of a donor car that had very very very very LOW milage on it...shocks and springs looked brand new...i had sensatracks on before..and i just noticed it lowered it a BIT and is noticeably stiffer ride. i'd recommend these if you can find em in good condition from a font clip. (sorry for thread jackin, but if anyone wants to share their opinion on these just pm me or post on here) :D