TobyCat's winter buildup

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Hah, yes Ryan. Yes he did :p

Ummmmm, I haven't driven my car more than around the block for almost 2 years now? I think it may be time to get rid of Duane's "baby supra" ;)

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
It sure has been a long time since I've even thought about Supras, that's for sure! Anyways, I finally got rid of my little beater tercel and insured the Supra. It's been nearly 2 years since I parked her!

Anyways, here is how she sits now. I pulled the car out of storage and looking pretty dirty. Then today it snows, oh the irony of it all ;)

Attachments

• in_palace.jpg
    in_palace.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 39
  • close_up.jpg
    close_up.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 33
  • snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 47

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
lol the snow suck's and now that my truck broek cna even go play in it

i sodl the last remaning of my car's
2002 325 bimmer is gone the 78 rabbit is gone

now i have jacked up 4runner wiht broken rear diff and axles bs

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Oh my how can you sleep at night with it so dirty!!!!!

hehe j/k I miss my supra up in Alberta :( Hopefully will come down to the island for the end of April, we should go cruise!

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Cuz my thread died im gonna spam yours :p

Got mine all cleaned up for a cruise, you ready??

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 24
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 23

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Good to see you again John!

So after driving my car around for a month now a few things have crept up on me.

1. Clutch master died - replaced that and the slave last weekend
2. Front end 'creaks' going over bumps. It's driving me insane. I think I need to get it up on the hoist and lube up the bushings.
3. back end still clunks over bumps. I think the sway bar endlinks are toast. Gosh it's hard to warrant spending ~200 bucks on replace this little things
4. Transmission clunks when load is first applied. Drive shaft carrier bearing maybe?
5. Turbo is dying. Starting to wish I didn't sell that turbo a few years ago ;)

Ahh the joys of bringing cars out of storage...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i am pretty sure 3 and 4 are related there chris someing thing is loose

creeking can be cause by bad ball joints or st installed with out greas

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
NashMan;1304491 said:
i am pretty sure 3 and 4 are related there chris someing thing is loose

creeking can be cause by bad ball joints or st installed with out greas

yea could be ball joints mine are toast and they make front end makes noises also when i go over bumps

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Well, I started this thread 9 years ago ;) I've had the car running nearly full time until about 1.5 years ago where I burnt a valve on #4 and lost most compression.

So, I've migrated over to a friend's garage and we're tearing it down, rebuilding the head and get it running again.

Current progress:
CRnh23lUcAI5QpR.jpg

Things left:
- Forgot about the ol' 12point ARP head stud nuts
- heaving a hell of time getting reverse light connector off of the wiring harness. I'm thinking about cutting then making a clip.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Got the head off and found a chunk missing out of a valve in #4. Guess that's where my compression went ;)

CSHmdLQUkAEAaMn.jpg

Now to find a shop in Vancouver to do the head work.

Things to order:
- BC Cams 264
- Full Ferrea valve set
- TMS 1.4M gasket (once I get confirmation head doesn't need much than a surfacing)
- Fluidyne Radiator and Flex-a-lite fan kit

Slap it all back together and get it running.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Wow, haven't seen that on a 7m before. Our valves seem to be pretty malleable, I have seen them bent, dented ect but not 'broken'/

Any idea what the cause was?

Prism11

I have seen the same valve issue on a spare head I picked up awhile ago. Could be a burnt valve, check the valve lash on that valve. If there is no clearance, that would be the case and the valve just melted from being held open.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Finally got things moving in the right direction. Hopefully I'll get to assembly this week!

First off, this is what it looked like when we pulled it apart:
IMG_5887.jpg

Tons of carbon build up. The valve stem seals gave out ages ago and well - this proves how costly that was! The nick out of one of the valves is likely from the carbon build up and edges getting hot.
IMG_5903.jpg

With a little bit of scraping and plastic brushing with solvent, it cleaned up ok.
IMG_5907.jpg

But that deck is nowhere near good enough for a MHG. So I picked up a granite 9x12x5 machinist block that was good for 0.001" and started going to town.
IMAG2073.jpg

After many, *many* hours of lapping the bajaysus of the deck, it looks like this now.
IMG_0044.jpg

A couple hours at 400/600 grit and it'll be perfect.

I also just got the head back from the machine shop and it looks awesome! 264 BC cams, valves, retainers and a mild port. It looks like a beaut!
IMAG2078.jpg

Now I'm just sourcing all new hoses which is way more $$ than I expected.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Alright, finally got some time to finish up the deck. Went all the way up to 800 grit and it's a beaut.

IMG_0231.JPG

I have one earplug that is dangerously close to falling in ... It's in one of the tiny water jacket holes. I think I'll plug up the other holes with tape and put a compressor on the hole next to it and try and tweezers it out. eeek!

@NashMan - here is another angle. I can take a few more.

IMAG2079.jpg