TobyCat's winter buildup

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Well, the car's been down for about a month now due to ::bhg::

I finally got around to taking the head off of the car a few nights ago, and was a little worried about scoring on the cam journals, and pitting on the block. It looks like whoever did the last HG job when it blew (Toyota:icon_evil ) over torqued it, and #1 and #6 rings on the gasket were out of round. Well, there was my exhaust->coolant leak!

So this is how it sits now, waiting for the machine shop. The other thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49518 with my silly questions :)

Attachments

• bhg_fix.jpg
    bhg_fix.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 43

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
quick qestion did you put any thing in you coolent jakest and oil jackets when you were scraping

i have all wasy used greas and used q tip after wors to gett all the shit out of my block

plus makes scarping the block very easy and faster ????

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Nope, didn't put anything in the water jackets as I scraped everything wet with lube. Scrape scrape + wipe. Repeat 1000x.

Got the head back from the machine shop and everything looks really good. The head surface is crazy smooth! I polished up the cams with some scotch brite, and it turned out well. Got all that scoring out. I assembled everything but didn't do the final torque down ... didn't have any RTV for the #1 cam caps.

I measured the head height and it came out to *just* below 116mm (4.553")which is the factory thickness. So, that means that when the old guy I bought this supra from got his headgasket done in 1998, Toyota didn't even bother to get it machined. :icon_evil

Final pics is how I tucked the ol' supra away for the night ;)

Attachments

• DSCF1561.JPG
    DSCF1561.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1565.JPG
    DSCF1565.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1566.JPG
    DSCF1566.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF1571.JPG
    DSCF1571.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1569.JPG
    DSCF1569.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 25

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Yup, that's the plan. Going to start it up with fresh water/oil and let it run for a bit. Drop the water/oil and refill the coolant and oil with good stuff.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
2am home time, and almost done. Dang, took a bit longer than expected to get all that random crap back on. Should fire up tomorrow!

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
She's ALIVE! except I've got leaks of all sorts ;)

First fire up, was OK then noticed I was absolutely pissing fuel somewhere. That was easy to find, I didn't tighten the damn fuel dampener enough.

Next, fired it up and everything was OK...until it started to warm up slightly then coolant everywhere. I mean, WOW. After poking around, and filling up some coolant again I heard dripping. The coolant hose that goes underneath the throttle body popped off. Apparently I need to put a clamp on those :p Wow, that's tight access in there without taking the upper intake off.

Ok, fire it up again...and I watch the blanket that was over my fender flap a bit in the wind. I think to myself "I should move that" and right then it gets stuck into my fricken fan. OMFG. Good thing I turned it off in time. What an idiot move on my part :(

So some time later after taking off the belts and jazz (that blanket worked itself nicely in the alt belt) I got the blanket out and noticed that during all this the damn overflow hose/nipple broke. ARGH. So, I gotta tap that with some sort of brass fitting, or at the very worst buy NashMan's old rad. PLeH, more money.

Then, after I quadruple check everything, fired it up again. It runs really good, but I'm still smelling a faint fuel leak. Poke around, and the dampener is still leaking. It leaks out the top and what not, so I gotta buy a new one of those. Add on top of that, lots of the old hose clamps are weak from 20 years of sitting there, and hoses getting old, I've got a lot of twiddly stuff to do tomorrow.

But, I should have my car back soon!

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Newb.

That was totally a 4 hour job.

Did you do your valve seals, you cold-start-oil-blasting-newb?

ahah.

At least you aren't rocking the tercy anymore.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
TobyCat said:
She's ALIVE! except I've got leaks of all sorts ;)

First fire up, was OK then noticed I was absolutely pissing fuel somewhere. That was easy to find, I didn't tighten the damn fuel dampener enough.

Next, fired it up and everything was OK...until it started to warm up slightly then coolant everywhere. I mean, WOW. After poking around, and filling up some coolant again I heard dripping. The coolant hose that goes underneath the throttle body popped off. Apparently I need to put a clamp on those :p Wow, that's tight access in there without taking the upper intake off.

Ok, fire it up again...and I watch the blanket that was over my fender flap a bit in the wind. I think to myself "I should move that" and right then it gets stuck into my fricken fan. OMFG. Good thing I turned it off in time. What an idiot move on my part :(

So some time later after taking off the belts and jazz (that blanket worked itself nicely in the alt belt) I got the blanket out and noticed that during all this the damn overflow hose/nipple broke. ARGH. So, I gotta tap that with some sort of brass fitting, or at the very worst buy NashMan's old rad. PLeH, more money.

Then, after I quadruple check everything, fired it up again. It runs really good, but I'm still smelling a faint fuel leak. Poke around, and the dampener is still leaking. It leaks out the top and what not, so I gotta buy a new one of those. Add on top of that, lots of the old hose clamps are weak from 20 years of sitting there, and hoses getting old, I've got a lot of twiddly stuff to do tomorrow.

But, I should have my car back soon!

you did put 2 crush washer on the damper right one on top one below the caseing broek i have spare

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Found all my coolant leaks, my friend came by with a coolant system pressure tester - awesome tool! Pump it up to 0.9 bar (13psi) and go around the whole system listening for air or looking for drips. Of course, the heater core<->block hose was leaking WAY down there...argh should have checked the hoses when the head was off ;)

Tomorrow = new fuel pulsation damper (thanks Nashman!) and it's back on the road.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Fuel pulsation damper installed, and no fuel leaks. I let the car idle up to operating temperature and looked for coolant/fuel leaks ... nothing! The only thing left to do now is time the car and drive it home.