To sell or trade my sawblades/tires - What are they worth?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I have the opportunity to buy some 17x7" five spokes in great condition (1 has a small scuff but the rest are perfect) for $400, but the tires are shot. I've only seen pics, so I don't know who made the rims. I will be trying them on my car on Sunday or Monday and I will try to find out what they are worth when I know the manufacturer. My neighbor bought them off a client and will let me have them for what he paid and says they were way more than $400 new, but we will see...

The value of my sawblades and tires are important, because he will take $300 for the new rims if I trade them in. My rears have maybe 40% tread, but the fronts are 95%+ and have about 3,000 miles on them. Other option would be to sell them, but that sounds like a pain and I'm not sure of the best way to sell them or what I could hope to get for them. Any thoughts?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
So you're basically getting $100 for a set of sawblades and 2 nearly new tires...I'd jump on it :naughty:

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Yea, you would have a tough time selling sawblades for $100. I say go for it. But just make sure that you have $300 + the cost of 4 tires to so that your not stuck without a car, know what I mean?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I know exactly what you mean, and I'm scared to find out what tires are going to cost me. I've got the cash, but I have other plans for it. I hate to say it, but I'm considering looking around for used...

Edit: Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping for an answer as solid as that.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Make sure you check the offset on the new rims...stock is 35mm. You can get away with some +/- But installing one on the front with the worn out tire on it will tell you if it's going to rub....just turn the steering through full travel.

How wide are the 17" rims?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I will definitely make sure of the offset and center bore. My neighbor put them on his 94 tacoma for this week, so he could drive up on the interstate before he bought them. Both vehicles share a 5 x 114.3mm lug pattern so I know I'm good there, anyway. I believe they are 7" wide.

Another quick question: Would you even consider used rubber? If so, where's a good place look for tires with decent tread left and how much should I spend? I really don't want to dump $800 into tires right now, but I want to pitch the blades as soon as possible.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
If he offered me a 12pack of Yuengling for mint sawblades, I'd take it...

Go for it. As for used tires, as long as the tread is decent and they hold air, I'd use 'em.

-J

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Oh, I didn't say anything about "mint" sawblades. They could use new paint or powdercoat, so it's sounding better all the time. It's the new 5 spokes that are are good.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The offset is what's really important...if the center bore on the new wheels is larger, a set of concentric rings will match the wheel right up with your hub. Depending on the wheel style, you might need to spring for a set of tuner lugs too.

Concerning used tires...you're taking a chance with no recourse if you go that route. If the tire is out of round or develops a bulge in the side wall, you're screwed. Plus getting them in the width you want with the correct profile is going to be a challenge.

I've got a set of Falken GR Beta FK-451 tires...it's a Z rated tire. IMO they're very good for the $$$...there's better tires out there, but you're going to pay for them. They are working very well for me...great grip and handling. Can't say too much about wear, they've only been on for about 3K or so. A 245/40ZR-17 is about $130 each.

With 17 x 7, you should be able to use a 235-245 wide tire...you want the overall diameter to match your stock diameter as close as possible to prevent rubbing and keep your speedo accurate. Do a search on SM to take a look at what other guys are successfully running. I'd tell you mine, but I'm running 18 x 8 on the front and 18 x 9 on the rear...won't help ya out much ;)

Here's a tire size calculator:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Just enter your stock size on the left and what you want to run on the right and it will tell you the difference...you can play with the numbers to get very close.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
i see People on here give their sawblades away... theyre usually worth the rubber thats wrapped around them plus shipping haha

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Well damn, I don't want to rip the guy off! He's been a pretty good neighbor. Hopefully he'd get $100 for them if the blades are worth maybe $25 and $75 for all four tires.

Seems like you could do better on the sawblades by selling them for scrap aluminum at a metal recycling center.

ninetyturbo

Jul 16, 2005
Uniontown, Ohio
LouKY said:
Well damn, I don't want to rip the guy off! He's been a pretty good neighbor. Hopefully he'd get $100 for them if the blades are worth maybe $25 and $75 for all four tires.

Seems like you could do better on the sawblades by selling them for scrap aluminum at a metal recycling center.

yeah its about 10 bucks per rim, maybe a little more

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LouKY said:
So what kind of range do I have to play with? Chances of the offset being dead on are probably pretty slim.

Actually the stock wheels are a 37mm offset. I've seen wheels in the 30mm - 50mm range work just fine. (Mk IV wheels are 50mm...a lot of guys use them on a Mk III)

Larger offset moves the edge of the rim in toward the car...smaller moves it out. Either can cause a problem...that's why I suggested you do a test fit. Moving the rim in can cause rubbing against the suspension...moving it out can cause clearance problems with the fender. Overall diameter will have an impact too...play with the profile to get overall diameter as close to stock as you can.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i have a local hookup for tires. he is a wholesaler and get awesome deals thru him. most of his tires are used, but often have hardly any miles on them. buddy got a pair of 235/45/17 michelin pilot sports that were barely even on a car for $100/pr. let me know if you want to look into this. i'll give you his name and number. he is off of fern valley rd

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
dbsupra90 said:
i have a local hookup for tires. he is a wholesaler and get awesome deals thru him. most of his tires are used, but often have hardly any miles on them. buddy got a pair of 235/45/17 michelin pilot sports that were barely even on a car for $100/pr. let me know if you want to look into this. i'll give you his name and number. he is off of fern valley rd

Thanks! I drive Fern Valley every day and I would definitely like that info. Just send PM and I'll follow up.

BTW, check out the regional threads - I thought happy hour at Joes in Lyndon next weds might be a good chance to meet a few people and have a mid-week beer or two, especially if the weather's looking good. Let me know if you think you can make it. :drink1:

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Don't buy used tires (unless your stuck somewhere and that was your only choice). You don't know what the tire has been through and what shape the tire beads are in. Most used tires that are fairly new are from cars that's been in accidents, hit curbs, not running right, etc....

A friend of mine bought 2 used bridgestones for his celica. The looked almost new, even still had some of the little spiles on it. After a week or so and one high speed run to 120mph the tread just peeled right off of one of the tires. Luckly that happened when driving 35mph down his street. The other tire's tread was starting to chunk and fall off....

Brand new 235/45-17 from tire rack is about $75 a piece shipped.