Votes: 25 47.2%
  • No.

Votes: 28 52.8%

• Total voters

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
AC rocks.

You younger guys will learn this in time.

Its easy to say get rid of it, but would you not replace the furnace in your house if it broke?

Sure you would because it would be quite uncomfortable if you didn't.

Why sweat your ass off in your car, if you don't have too?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
garrettrowe said:
Ok, that's like the pot calling the kettle black - they took 2 identical cars, with the same amount of gas, on the same day on the same track - one with ac on and one with ac off and the windows down. The windows down car went laps farther than the a/c car.

What SUPERIOR scientific test did you run to come up with your infallible assertion that a/c on doesn't burn more gas?

it is called called eliminating variables and guess what myth busters forgot to do. Read NATAN666 post about how a REAL scientific experiment is supposed to take place. BTW guess how the Cd of the car is measured... not with the windows down ;)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Yep, I just enjoyed a nice trip to Portland in 100f weather, nice and cool. Many of the other MK3's there had no AC... (Keep in mind, this is Portland, land of cool and wet weather, and they have seen some very high summer temps this year, 100f or more at times.)

One of the comments of a passenger about my car was "nice cold AC.... Ahhh." I could not agree more. All of my cars have working AC, and will always have working AC if I can help it. (Heck, all of my cars now have automatic climate control, and two of them have heated seats.. One has 4 heated seats.. and vents for all passengers.)

This is one of the reasons why I like the Supra so much. It's comfortable to get into and drive for 9 hours straight, yet have plenty of power and decient handling to enjoy the twisty roads while you speed at 100mph down the straight ones.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, for now since in Jersey this summer has been brutal I just took the belt and bracket off the compressor. If I find out that for some reason its going to cost some huge amount of money to fix it; I probably won't ever spend it on that and I'll take it out. But for now I'll just leave it disconnected.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lol

i find it some amusing.

people spend $1000 dollars on turbos and other shit. But god forbid a $1000 bill to get the a/c running.. lmao..comedy gold i tell ya.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Thats because... its just A/C. I know few cars that have it that actually work. And even less people who have it working and use it... ever.

I don't quite understand how its so amusing. I wan't performance, creature comforts (besides heat in winter) it doesn't matter really. I'd rather cruise with the windows down, so of course I'd rather spend 1k on performance then fixing A/C which will rarely get used.. And obviously there are many others like myself. But whatever, if for some reason you think you're better then everyone else because you would throw you budget into making A/C work... let it be.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Each to his own about the AC I guess. However, I would fix mine before investing in performance parts if it was my DD.

Then again, my office has AC, if I worked in a job where sweating was the norm I might have a different outlook.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
If you're worried about power losses, you can always remove the AC belt when dyno'ing or going to a track.

As for weight, not worth it in my opinion. Actually I just spent nearly $1500 fixing my AC, brand new everything... no way I could live without it!

edit: (aahhhh its an old thread... ah well LOL)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I've never ever had a car with A/C before the Supra. In the UK, its actually kinda pointless, barring the two really hot weeks in June before it starts getting stormy. Think the A/C in mine was never used before i got it - seeing as the blower doesnt do the spinny spinny thing anymore :p

Just open the window while driving. :naughty:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Kai said:
I've never ever had a car with A/C before the Supra. In the UK, its actually kinda pointless, barring the two really hot weeks in June before it starts getting stormy. Think the A/C in mine was never used before i got it - seeing as the blower doesnt do the spinny spinny thing anymore :p

Just open the window while driving. :naughty:
A/C does more than cool. It cools, cleans and dehumidifies the air. (A/C 101:biglaugh: )

Really, it keeps the windows from fogging up.

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
i removed EVERYTHING associated w/ ac cause mine didn't work, and now that it's gone....over 4 yrs....i wish i still had it, but i live in oklahoma and it is humid as hell