• No.

Votes: 28 52.8%

• Total voters

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lol

ahh yes i forgot that guys get pussy when they have a big wet spot on the back of the shirt from sweating.

BTW i was from Florida.you can do 140 mph and 85 F @ 90% humidity = no speed fast enough to cool your ass down. Period. I will keep my a/c. If i can put the smack down on you a/c less folks and beat ya hands down while my happy ass is nice and cool. Guess what I will be doing ;)

If it is broke.. fix the thing. Weight savings? Get a RX-7 FD or an MKII and ditch the MKIII you cry babies... waaaahh!!! :p

evilone

they call me Tatter Salad
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Worth
garrettrowe said:
Remove it and you hurt the resale value of the car even more

now who here wants to sale thier supra?i know i never plan on selling my 2.
oh and BTW i dont have ac in either of them and i live in TEXAS.this is a place where an 85-90 degree day feels like 110.it really isnt that big of a deal if you remove it or not. i love AC as much as the next guy but i would preffer the windows down and the tp off anyday.there is nothing like the feeling of the wind blowing,music playing and yur car boosting.that is just what does it for me. :icon_cool

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Windows down only works so well for me. 110mph on the freeway, I'd rather have the windows up, AC on, and the stereo on medium.

Also, I love the option to whip someone at the track, then tell them after the run that you still had your AC on. This drives Honda boys nuts! ;)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
How about this, all this summer I'll see what its like not to use it and make the final decision from that. Resale value is so far down the list of things I care about its non-existant. I will run this car into the ground before I sell it.

I realize that the mk3 will never be as light as an MR2 or the like. If I wanted an MR2 I would have gotten one instead of the mk3. I love my mk3, but things I probably won't ever use that could be dropped for some improvement in performance I'll experiment with dropping.

Some of you guys seem a little edgy on the topic, need to calm down a little bit.

mid-life crisis? I'm 16... I don't think so.

Ricer? I'm making a video purely to make fun of them.

come on, give me a break on some of this stuff here. You can have your opinion without flaming.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i live in upstate new york. (45min south of albany) i pulled everything that has to do with my A/C. it never worked, and i've never owned a car with working A/C, so i'm used to not having it. hell, my car is black, and grey leather interior, and i still dont need it.

i had everything to fix it, as it was just the compressor that was bad, and it needed a re-charge, but i decided i wasnt going to use it anyway, so i pulled everything out, even the evaporator.

all that crap's pretty heavy... i have it all boxed up in my garage, so if i ever become a fart, i can put it back in, though it'll probably take roughly a half day to do so...

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shaeff said:
i live in upstate new york. (45min south of albany) i pulled everything that has to do with my A/C. it never worked, and i've never owned a car with working A/C, so i'm used to not having it. hell, my car is black, and grey leather interior, and i still dont need it.

i had everything to fix it, as it was just the compressor that was bad, and it needed a re-charge, but i decided i wasnt going to use it anyway, so i pulled everything out, even the evaporator.

all that crap's pretty heavy... i have it all boxed up in my garage, so if i ever become a fart, i can put it back in, though it'll probably take roughly a half day to do so...

-shaeff

Pulling my pants up REALLY high What do ya mean "farts" Sonny ;)

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
GrimJack said:
Windows down only works so well for me. 110mph on the freeway, I'd rather have the windows up, AC on, and the stereo on medium.

Also, I love the option to whip someone at the track, then tell them after the run that you still had your AC on. This drives Honda boys nuts! ;)

Well said!

Plus, the dude that hands out the slips might be happy to feel a bit cool air when I roll down the window!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
haha, i didnt mean it like that! besides, didnt one of the older mkiii fellas refer to himself as that?

well, after scanning the thread, i was incorrect. it doesnt seem as if any took it personally, but the word fart is too irrisistable not to use! haha, no offence meant to anyone. i admire all of our well seasoned members. (futile attempt to regain brownie points!!!) :bowdown:

-shaeff

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
at WOT your AC clutch shuts off anyway.....
as a pound of boost or take the spare out at the track..... Something.... Just leave the AC in.

I ran a 13.3 with the AC on and another 13.3 with the AC off... So I dunno

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
every bit of my a/c is removed. i rarely used it, maybe 3-4x in the 6yrs i owned it and that was usually at the passenger's request. hell i didnt even know it quit working since it had been well over a year since the last i turned it on. it's more of a personal thing, i get car sick and cant drive w/o the windows open. so since it didnt work and rarely used i didnt want to spend the money to fix (expansion valve + coolant) off it came. weight savings wasnt even a thought, but sure a good side effect besides a good spot to mount my tranny cooler and more flow to the radiator.
if you are a person who likes to use a/c, by all means keep it and get it fixed if its broken.
for someone that rarely uses and its broken, take it out. no need of it taking up space.

dave

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shaeff said:
haha, i didnt mean it like that! besides, didnt one of the older mkiii fellas refer to himself as that?

well, after scanning the thread, i was incorrect. it doesnt seem as if any took it personally, but the word fart is too irrisistable not to use! haha, no offence meant to anyone. i admire all of our well seasoned members. (futile attempt to regain brownie points!!!) :bowdown:

-shaeff

WELL SEASONED !! WTF ! :madfawk:

LMAO just kidding

Dan: I know he means us !! (I remember the age poll on the old site) ;)

sorcereur

MKIII Revolution Inc.
Mar 31, 2005
NC
turboa7mgte said:
at WOT your AC clutch shuts off anyway.....
as a pound of boost or take the spare out at the track..... Something.... Just leave the AC in.

I ran a 13.3 with the AC on and another 13.3 with the AC off... So I dunno
Where does it say that the compressor's clutch disengages at WOT? I have tested that theory for about a week now and it's not true.... at least not in my supra. The ac is just as cold when wot.

I do say keep your A/C though. My '91's AC was busted so it didn't work. I went with it for a year and it sux. I'm in N.C. and it gets wicked hot in the summer. People who keep saying take the targa off in the summer are crazy. Now you're directly exposed to the sun. No hat can help you there.
First thing i did on my new supra is fix the AC. I wouldn't trade that for the world.
And i still put down good power. I just turn it off when i need to punch it.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
In the spirit of the old farts or well seasoned folks...

"You dang kids, get off my lawn!"
::shaking cane::

I'm keeping my AC...

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
I think it disengages more under load the WOT I will confirm this with a Tech to see how it does it. The clutch knows when you are low on Freon and disengages then.... So i would have to say there is some sort of pressure switch in the Compressor.

Mine indeed gets warmer after awhile of WOT or load.... So does my 97 S10 blazer, 95 Lumina, and I just checked it on my 96 Suzuki SideKick.

I dont think you will notic instant "warmness" as the air will still remain cold for some time. On a real hot day you should notice it kinda quick.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
When I would use the AC in my car, it would make me suck so much more gas (just crusing, not jumping on it). I don't know how many people have experienced this with their car, but for me it was another reason to use it as little as possible. Right now gas is close to hitting 3 bucks a gallon (for 91 octane, blah), so I am very tempted to take that particular gas guzzler function off my car.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
no

on the highway. having the a/c on with windows UP is actually more condusive to better gas mileage than riding with the windows down at speed. Think about what happens when the windows are down.... ;)