The supra's totaled! :(

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
GotTurbos?;1292486 said:
Also DO NOT accept whatever the insurance company offers you first. You have some room here especially since it wasn't your fault. Just show them what you have on your car, go print out some for sale ads for cars that are in similar condition to yours. I did this for my old mk3 and ended up getting 10400 from insurance.

I agree 100%!! Same thing happened to me with my Supra. After getting receipts & printing ads from autotrader etc I got 3 times what the initial offer was. Then bought the car back & fixed her up to what she is today.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
Thanks for all the info guys, i just looked up the kbb on the car and in excellent condition it was 4600, and the quote i got from the auto body shop was 2800. ill post up some pics here in a few mins.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
p1292737_1.jpg

p1292737_2.jpg

p1292737_3.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
That actually doesn't look that bad.

New rear-most hatch panel
New moldings
New tails (all 3 pieces)
New rear bumper + supports

If you keep the new stuff unpainted, you might stand to make quite a profit if you can find used tails and moldings.

I wouldn't ditch that shell, though. Unless, of course, there is much more damage than I'm seeing...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Do you know anybody that does bodywork in your area? It doesn't look like much to fix. Make the school pay for the damage, and put you in a rental. After all, it is their fault.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
suprarx7nut;1292761 said:
That actually doesn't look that bad.

New rear-most hatch panel
New moldings
New tails (all 3 pieces)
New rear bumper + supports

If you keep the new stuff unpainted, you might stand to make quite a profit if you can find used tails and moldings.

I wouldn't ditch that shell, though. Unless, of course, there is much more damage than I'm seeing...

there's more, ill take some better pics tomarrow, the body shop quoted me 2800. iam hoping to salvage the shell but i doubt it.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I don't think thats a write off, it seems buying them back is pretty popular, if its that easy why not settle for a reasonable price and fix it yourself?

Curious to see other pictures though.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
dumbo;1292793 said:
I don't think thats a write off, it seems buying them back is pretty popular, if its that easy why not settle for a reasonable price and fix it yourself?

Curious to see other pictures though.

Iam def keeping the car! there not taking my 1jz that easy lol. the biggest thing iam worried about is in the hatch its bent forward an inch or two.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
See most people don't understand the structure of a car. That does not look bad, but can they see what is wrong on the inside? What if the gas tank brackets were broke, uhm? That would be a bummer.

All I have to say is your trunk still lines up which is a good thing. Hopefully nothing was pushed to far forward, and your internal bumper hopefully collapsed in a way in which it did not break anything.

Looking forward to finding out more.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
Guys i know its fixable and that what i plan on doing, but the insurance is going to total it, if the damage is more than 60% of book value the car is considered totaled, so it looks like iam going to have to buy it back from insurance.

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
yea they are deffinally going to total that. the unibody structure in the rear probably looks bad remember the after impact the bumper pops back out a bit. buy it back they dont really want it anyway you will save them the trouble of getting the car. i never paid more than 250 to buy back from insurance. use the money to buy a cut from a junkyard and weld it on if you really want to keep that shell.