The supra's totaled! :(

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
So i was in class today, and i get a call from the school saying my car has been in an accedent. so i go out to my car, and some idiot who works for the school driving a school vehicle, backed up into the back of my supra. and its totaled! everything on the back of the car needs to be replaced. I know the insurace company is going to say the car is totaled, so has anybody ever had to go through this and what are my best options, cause iam sure the book value will only be around 2500, but the cars worth twice that!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Let the insurance company total it, then buy the car back from the insurance company.

Take all the good parts off of it and insert into a shell of your choosing.

My .02

Sorry to hear! :(

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
That truly sucks. Hopefully you'll be able to get enough out of the insurance company to buy it back, strip it down and get a decent shell to move everything into. It's bad enough to lose one, worse to lose it because someone did something really stupid.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Also DO NOT accept whatever the insurance company offers you first. You have some room here especially since it wasn't your fault. Just show them what you have on your car, go print out some for sale ads for cars that are in similar condition to yours. I did this for my old mk3 and ended up getting 10400 from insurance.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
jugodegolf;1292481 said:
:boink:

receipts, receipts, receipts. would check with adjuster to advice. I bought the red one back and repaired her.

:werd: I've got a folder with every receipt from every part and component I've purchased bringing mine back from the dead on the advice of my insurance agent.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
suprarx7nut;1292394 said:
Let the insurance company total it, then buy the car back from the insurance company.

Take all the good parts off of it and insert into a shell of your choosing.

My .02

Sorry to hear! :(

thats what i did...

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Sucks when the shell is usually whats good!

Local guy is parting his 87 out (whole car, shell too), a little swap of this and that and you have 1.5 supras!

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
gnarkill87;1292393 said:
So i was in class today, and i get a call from the school saying my car has been in an accedent. so i go out to my car, and some idiot who works for the school driving a school vehicle, backed up into the back of my supra. and its totaled! everything on the back of the car needs to be replaced. I know the insurace company is going to say the car is totaled, so has anybody ever had to go through this and what are my best options, cause iam sure the book value will only be around 2500, but the cars worth twice that!

lol @ bold, side note sorry.

School vehicle hit you which means they must have good insurance. Try to get what you want for the car. Show them similar cars and their selling price if you can and see if you can get that much. Then buy it back and buy a shell and switch it over.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
It was parked and got backed into? What the hell was the other vehichle to totall it? Any case sorry to hear man, and like IJ said, do you have any pictures? Best of luck..

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
GotTurbos?;1292486 said:
Also DO NOT accept whatever the insurance company offers you first. You have some room here especially since it wasn't your fault. Just show them what you have on your car, go print out some for sale ads for cars that are in similar condition to yours. I did this for my old mk3 and ended up getting 10400 from insurance.

10K FROM INSURANCE !!! MK3 ?!? WoW ! u got away with a nice adjuster or something...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Bummer man. I almost cried when my 87 was totalled.

Post some pics and take the advice on this thread. It's all good advice!

Man we're a bunch of smart guys and gals! Everyone give yourself a pat on the back and let out a loud HOOOOOORAH!!! :biglaugh: