The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It usually occurs when the shooter fires a semi-automatic pistol with a limp wrist, causing the muzzle to rise excessively. As a result, the spent case is not totally ejected and the spent cartridge gets caught by the slide slamming home. However with the DE it's a design flaw.

The end result is a shell case that sticks out of the chamber like a stove pipe.

See below:

130428_glock_23_stovepipe.jpg

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i dunno SC, maybe it was your limp wrist, i heard that any granny can handle the .50AE like it was a .22. it only has half the power of my Ar-15.

i think every video i've seen of someone shooting a DE they have almost bust themselves in the face with it. i'd love to try it just once, but would never buy one.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
souprat said:
i dunno SC, maybe it was your limp wrist, i heard that any granny can handle the .50AE like it was a .22. it only has half the power of my Ar-15.

As a six foot tall 200+ lb guy who has a pretty good IPSC record, I can guarantee you it's not my wrist... :)

souprat said:
i think every video i've seen of someone shooting a DE they have almost bust themselves in the face with it. i'd love to try it just once, but would never buy one.

I think a lot of those videos are done for 'effect'. The gun does kick, but nowhere near what most people make it out to be. With a good stance and grip it's pretty controllable. And once you get used to it, it is a disturbingly accurate weapon.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
SC, I wanted to ask you if you and/or your wife [providing that she has small/dainty hands like my wife] knew a decent and respectable weapon for a woman. My wife is a small girl, but when I do buy her a weapon for personal protection, it can't be a small round, but must be wieldable; in other words, a Mk23 or DE is not an option, and on the other side of the spectrum, neither is a PPK.

My mother has a .22 revolver, but personally, I don't think that's enough for her OR my wife unless it had a HUGE shot capacity. Okay, so basically, a concealable package that also has a small-ish grip, in 9mm, .357, .40 or .45 would be ideal.

Many in the past have recommended those in the Sig and Glock families, and the new XD has been highly recommended as well. Any input? Input from ladies and those with girlfriends is also welcome. :D

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
id definitely go with the compact glocks, maybe the glock 26.

id say minimum .40 for stopping power, seeing as most shots fired in a self-defense situation won't be extremely accurate.

g.jpg

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
drunk_medic said:
SC, I wanted to ask you if you and/or your wife [providing that she has small/dainty hands like my wife] knew a decent and respectable weapon for a woman. My wife is a small girl, but when I do buy her a weapon for personal protection, it can't be a small round, but must be wieldable; in other words, a Mk23 or DE is not an option, and on the other side of the spectrum, neither is a PPK.

My mother has a .22 revolver, but personally, I don't think that's enough for her OR my wife unless it had a HUGE shot capacity. Okay, so basically, a concealable package that also has a small-ish grip, in 9mm, .357, .40 or .45 would be ideal.

Many in the past have recommended those in the Sig and Glock families, and the new XD has been highly recommended as well. Any input? Input from ladies and those with girlfriends is also welcome. :D

Theresa has small hands. Her current hardware is a Beretta Model 84 Cheeta. The frame size works for her, but that 9mm short (.380 auto) just doesn't really have the punch I'd like to see. For carry rounds I've got her running gold dot hollow points, which I'm sure will do the job, but I've never been able to get over my prejudice against small calibers. My .45 is too much for her. Between the large frame and the extra recoil, her wrist winds up killing her after she fires my stuff.

We'll likely upgrade her to something a .40 S&W in the future. We're going to go shooting (maybe this weekend) and we'll try some stuff out at the local gun store. If we find anything special we'll let you know.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MDCmotorsports said:
Any recommendations (sp?) on gun oils and ammo brands?

For ammo, just stay away from the cheap shit. When buying range ammo, just make sure you are dealing with non-corrosive primers. Also, stick to jacketed rounds for range use. Soft points leave lead all over the inside of the gun.

For cleaning, there is a ton of stuff out there. 99.9999% of it is good enough. There are a few things that are great for cleaning really dirty guns. But since you are starting out with a new (or close to new) gun, just clean it every time you shoot it and you'll never have to worry about it being 'really dirty'.

I use good ammo and clean every time I shoot, it makes a world of difference.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Medic - nothing wrong with a Walther, but like SC said, the .380/9mm kurz/9x18mm round is a bit on the weak side, but it is an accurate pistol. I would modify what clip said and suggest a Glock 26 in 9mm if the 27 has a bit too much snap for her. I love my 26 and it rarely leaves my side - only when I upgrade to my 30 or 36 (.45acp)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Squid699 said:
Medic - nothing wrong with a Walther, but like SC said, the .380/9mm kurz/9x18mm round is a bit on the weak side, but it is an accurate pistol. I would modify what clip said and suggest a Glock 26 in 9mm if the 27 has a bit too much snap for her. I love my 26 and it rarely leaves my side - only when I upgrade to my 30 or 36 (.45acp)
I had shot a Walther P22, and I liked the built-in speed loader on the magazine, but for a 22, the shot capacity was weak, especially compared to the Taurus PT92 I shot the same day, which was a 9mm with a 17+1 capacity magazine that did not protrude much at all from the bottom of the magwell. The recoil was minimal [obviously more than the 22 - that's a no-brainer], but at least a 9mm with that sort of capacity could be somewhat of a compromise for the raw stopping power of a .45ACP. I still need to shoot a .40sw and see what that recoil is like, and then convince her to give them a try.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nobody can dispute that based on the numbers the .380 falls short of the 9mm, and far short of the .40s&w and .45acp, but even though I'm new to the CCW game I am becoming very quickly convinced that the convenience factor means that a COMPACT .380 is more likely to be carried than any of the others.

My P3AT might be on the weak side, but it is no harder to carry or conceal than a wallet in my Galco pocket holster. There are some compact 9's and 40's out there, but I looked at and/or fired a bunch and decided on a Cougar 8000 (9mm) for my bedroom and the P3AT for my primary carry gun. There is just no way anything else would fit as easily as the Kel Tec for CCW, and at something like 11oz loaded, there's nothing as light. Obviously, I'm going for the "better to be armed than not at all" argument here.

Obviously, where EASY and PRACTICAL carry aren't considerations, there are better choices. I have the 9mm at home because my wife can shoot it easily, too. But, I'm putting serious thought into picking up a 1911 in .45 acp for myself for keeping at home, in the car, or if I feel like I need it, as a concealed carry weapon too, but I have a good feeling that I will spend more time with my weak little .380 than any of the others, probably combined and I feel pretty good about it.

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Shytheed Dumas said:
I am becoming very quickly convinced that the convenience factor means that a COMPACT .380 is more likely to be carried than any of the others.

I've always managed to carry my large frame .45's without an issue. Jeans and a t-shirt is enough to conceal a large frame. I've never been comfortable with anything smaller than a .40. And yes, I know a .380 is more than enough 99.999 times out of 100. Anyone who would argue against that is a fool. A bullet is a bullet.

I've had my current daily carry for about 10 years, and it's really not a burden to carry at all. And it is a big gun.

945B.jpg

Model: 945B
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 8+1
Barrel Length: 4-1/4"
Action: SA/DA
Finish: Blue
Grips: Checkered Rubber
Weight: 29.5 oz
Construction: Steel/Alloy
Frame: Large
Front Sight: Fixed- 1 Dot
Rear Sight: Fixed- 2 Dots
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 7-1/2''
Width: 1.390"
Height: 5.634"
Rate of Twist: 1:16"
Grooves: 6
Safety: Manual Safety, Firing Pin Block, Hammer Decocker
UPC: 7-25327-10451-3
Order #: 1-945041
MSRP: $609.00

I guess it's all a matter of what you are willing to get used to.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
SC or any of the others, have you all seen the clipdraw attachments that bolt up to the frame of handguns? anyone ever used one?

A1600.jpg

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Here's the holster I've been using for the last 10 years (well not this one, but the same make & model):

holster1.jpg

holster2.jpg

holster3.jpg

(And yes, I'm loafing around on the bed using my laptop... )

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Clip said:
SC or any of the others, have you all seen the clipdraw attachments that bolt up to the frame of handguns? anyone ever used one?

A1600.jpg

I've seen them, but never used them. I would never advocate carrying ANY pistol without a holster that adequately covers the trigger guard to keep opjects from getting in there while you're moving around.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Ewww..I would never use one of those clips. Not only is it unsafe..but if you need to draw your weapon quickly and effectively..that is not the place to have it. Blackhawk industries make very nice holsters...for concealed carry I would go for a shoulder holster (unless you live in an area where the climate does not allow a jacket or coat to be worn over such). Serpa holsters are also great, but not so much for concealed carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.