The new FRS and BRZ what do you think of these to tiwn cars?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I am not sure how to look at this but really I don't like the step Toyota made. It seam's like this is a Subaru with Toyota sweater on it

I just don't under stand why Toyota even dared to give it a name simuler to the ae 86 as well.

I really wounder how much of this car is Toyota sadly as of right now it does not look like much at all :: angry ::

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
here are some spy shot of it befor it was fully released

toyota-ft-86-prototype-spy-shot-side.jpg

ToyotaSubaru-FT-86-Coupe-mule1.jpg

new turbo motor

original.jpg

so you see what i mena by look like toyota was just along for the ride

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The original designs- I liked a lot. The headlights were aggressive, as was the body work. As its gotten closer to production, its turned into somewhat of a Corolla to me. (not in a good way) The body and trim went blah, performance went blah, and my favorite part, the headlights, look likt they'be been unbolted from a Camry and popped on.

I will reserve final judgement until after I've PDI'd one, but my high hopes have been diminished.

MrVito

Jul 11, 2010
Augusta, GA
Neither is getting forced induction. Both will be N/A, the goal of the car being lightweight, RWD, 6 speed, responsive handling, and very affordable. Price tag is expected to be under $25k. Weight should be around 2700lbs, I realize this doesnt' seem all that light when looking at cars from the past 30 years, but compare it to almost every other car today, and it seems downright Lotus-esque. 197hp, 151lb-ft, 12.5:1 compression ratio, both direct and port injected, supposedly getting over 30mpg. The design of the car has effectively made AWD impossible with the engine sitting where it currently is, however, that same engine location allows the car to have one of the lowest centers of gravity of any non-dry-sump production car.

For good details, head over to http://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
both will have turbo option other wise know as trd and sti

there was rummer that toytoa was going to add a super charger and hope this never comes ture

MrVito

Jul 11, 2010
Augusta, GA
NashMan;1791776 said:
both will have turbo option other wise know as trd and sti

there was rummer that toytoa was going to add a super charger and hope this never comes ture

Maybe in a year or two, but both companies have been quoted very clearly saying that there will be no Turbo production version of this car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
As an owner of a handful of lightweight rwd old school Toyotas, and 2 Miatas, I can say with certainty that I look forward to this car. For the money, I'll likely be buying an NSX if I don't change my mind within two years, but if I HAD to buy a new car, this would be the one.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I have been following this car for a while now. I do think they should have upped the power a little for the initial release, I can see this car being like a small motor cycle, it handles great, very fun to drive, has good power for beginners, but after about 6 months of riding it gets a little bland and old and your left yearning for something more. I have read that there has been many arguments over who was the prime engineer of the car, and as said before it does seem like Toyota just tagged along, for instance; Toyota fought to put in four extra fuel injectors to make a total of 8. Seems like they were just trying to stick the Toyota name on the engine.

Regardless I will be very likely to buy one when they are released. It's what I havent been able to find in a new car so far, simple and lets the driver do thier thing. To me, it seems like most new cars are "trying" to have people forget they are driving, and are overloaded with electronics. Its like sitting on the couch behind a windshield with a laptop computer to your side...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Chambers;1792133 said:
I have been following this car for a while now. I do think they should have upped the power a little for the initial release, I can see this car being like a small motor cycle, it handles great, very fun to drive, has good power for beginners, but after about 6 months of riding it gets a little bland and old and your left yearning for something more. I have read that there has been many arguments over who was the prime engineer of the car, and as said before it does seem like Toyota just tagged along, for instance; Toyota fought to put in four extra fuel injectors to make a total of 8. Seems like they were just trying to stick the Toyota name on the engine.

Regardless I will be very likely to buy one when they are released. It's what I havent been able to find in a new car so far, simple and lets the driver do thier thing. To me, it seems like most new cars are "trying" to have people forget they are driving, and are overloaded with electronics. Its like sitting on the couch behind a windshield with a laptop computer to your side...

I all ready know this for a fact but the reason for adding in port injection is to clean the valves ..... this is huge issue right now with port injection systems because the pvc system is caking them in shit because Boxers suffer form this alot more compared to an up write more when they first swapped to chamber injection

toyota never fought for this it was a must to keep it reliable.

now look at this way when the tunner market hit's this car add bigger turbo the direct injection system will most likly be deleted from just cost of injectors stand point

or the heads will be swapped with wrx ones ect

I still see toyota play tag along say this and that

but reminds me of school when you have that small big mouth kid (toyota being the kid) and the bigger bully friends ie subrau

reminds me of this but guess who i think toyota is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-1S8Xxd94

SupraPieces

Nov 23, 2011
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I heard the j spec version will be turbocharged and I heard sion will also be releasing a version that will be hadn't and turbocharged.. for the 2012 season it has been announced that Ken Guchi will be driving a FRZ for Formula D. I will get a good look at it in person and its' driftability

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
NashMan;1792163 said:
I all ready know this for a fact but the reason for adding in port injection is to clean the valves ..... this is huge issue right now with port injection systems because the pvc system is caking them in shit because Boxers suffer form this alot more compared to an up write more when they first swapped to chamber injection

toyota never fought for this it was a must to keep it reliable.

now look at this way when the tunner market hit's this car add bigger turbo the direct injection system will most likly be deleted from just cost of injectors stand point

or the heads will be swapped with wrx ones ect...

That does make sense.

Either head swaps or complete engine swaps for the tuning industry.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Toyota = Fail as they have bean doing for many years Toyota mean granny panties or nice set of depends, hell they might as well just though in a dohnut for the old people too

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Subaru and Toyota would be stupid to announce a turbo model even if it were real. All it would do is hurt initial sales for people willing to wait. This is not the first joint effort on this motor, the 2011 forester is an example.

There will be a turbo model of this engine. WRC requires 2.0L so this IS the new WRX motor. BTW i saw the FRS at laguna seca with my own eyes. i heard a turbo! :)

MrVito

Jul 11, 2010
Augusta, GA
The one you saw at Laguna Seca is one of the Formula D cars for Ken Gushi. They showed the race ready version at NAIAS today. It is confirmed to be EJ25 powered. New WRC rules call for a 1.6L not 2.0L, hence the 1.6 DIT engine that Subaru had on display at TMS in November. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1.6 in the BRZ if/when they decide to sell a production FI version.

The current tune on the FRS/BRZ/GT86 has the port injectors running at idle and under low load, transitioning to the Direct injectors at high rpm and high load.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Ahh... I love all the speculation here. Has anyone on here driven one?

...Didn't think so. Excitement is awesome, it's what keeps the enthusiast market alive and all, but we may love this car as is, never know. All it would take for me is a set of aggressive gears. I don't even want to be able to do more than 100 in 5th. ;)