The Mistress

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
suprarx7nut;1858211 said:
What boots did you go with? I'm looking for at least a new shift boot and I'd like something better than the fake leather-vinyl I have now.
I used the ones from empera here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?18472-E-Brake-Boots-Shift-Boots-Console-Covers

They are still vinyl, however, good vinyl these days is actually better than real leather. Can't improve leather much, still grows on cows, whereas vinyl is a synthetic and therefore improves as technology advances. I carry around a small pillow in the car made from top notch vinyl just to show folks how damn nice it is.

Grandavi;1858271 said:
A photo of those new boots would be good as well if you got 'em : )

Didn't you replace the boots in post 206?
I replaced the ebrake boot, but I've never been that happy with it, so now that one is in the bits bin, I'll use it as a donation for a worthy local car some day. Maybe. :)

Here's a pic:
2012-07-18 10.16.04.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those boots look very very good. Leather is fine, but only if your really good on maintaining it. Otherwise, the exterior "flakes". Vinyl is a bit more resilient and for shifter/ebrake boots, is probably a better choice anyway. I was an upholsterer for about 4-5 years and did a lot of full car interiors in my youth. Its more in how the stitching is done and the fitment. I like your new ones far better.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
GrimJack;1858292 said:
I used the ones from empera here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?18472-E-Brake-Boots-Shift-Boots-Console-Covers

They are still vinyl, however, good vinyl these days is actually better than real leather. Can't improve leather much, still grows on cows, whereas vinyl is a synthetic and therefore improves as technology advances. I carry around a small pillow in the car made from top notch vinyl just to show folks how damn nice it is.

I replaced the ebrake boot, but I've never been that happy with it, so now that one is in the bits bin, I'll use it as a donation for a worthy local car some day. Maybe. :)

Here's a pic:
2012-07-18 10.16.04.jpg

Damn, what I have now is from empera, but the vinyl cracked at the base of all four triangles, like right on the middle of the fabric, not the seam.

Maybe ill just order another. It did last 4 years after all...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;1858327 said:
Damn, what I have now is from empera, but the vinyl cracked at the base of all four triangles, like right on the middle of the fabric, not the seam.

Maybe ill just order another. It did last 4 years after all...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mine did the same thing, but it happened after a month, maybe two.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I installed it in January of this year. The winters are usually pretty mild, but the last one was very mild. I hink we had frost like 5 or 6 times, and I had my windows down almost every day. The summers here are pretty warm, with highs in the 90's. I thought it was maybe because I installed it in the winter and the material was stiff from being cold, but it really wasn't that cold, and I don't think that would cause it to tear.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Vinyl will crack in the cold quite easily. Good example is Mazda tells you not to operate the top on the Miata below 42 degrees.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
GrimJack;1858362 said:
I'd talk to him about it... maybe he got a bad batch of vinyl or something. What's the climate like where you are?

Poodles;1858458 said:
Vinyl will crack in the cold quite easily. Good example is Mazda tells you not to operate the top on the Miata below 42 degrees.

Well that would explain it. I'm in Colorado so we get well below freezing every winter many, many days. Last year I woke up to a drive to work @-16F. Summers are 105F and winters are -10F.

You guys think leather would hold up better? OEM Toyota boot? Grim (Dave, I think right?) you must have cold winters as well. Do you ever see problems like this?

New boots look sexy, btw. :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
lithium14;1859901 said:
... wait, you lose the awesome fade off feature if you convert to LEDs????
Yes... they dim a bit, then flicker once, and go off. On the plus side, there's no power drain by comparison - you could leave them on for a month, and still start the car, I bet - and they produce bugger all in the way of heat.

Moy;1860866 said:
Grim, where did you get your LED's from?
Local guy here hooked me up. There's a bunch of local vendors here that sell them now.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, I dropped out my rear subframe today, with some help from a couple local guys, Mihir and Tommy. You guys rock, thanks for all the muscle!

Why would I do such a thing, you ask? Well, I've had a crack in the usual spot, near the passenger side front differential bolt, for a couple years. Every so often I'd inspect it, and it never seems to get any worse, even with LOTS of drag passes, launching hard, and basically treating it badly. However, two weeks ago I entered my very first AutoX event. Well, now I know what damages these subframes... literally 5 minutes of hard cornering, never making it past second gear, and I get this... notice the bolts that are supposed to be holding the rear diff in place? Notice what they are holding? Ya, that's right, NADA.
2012-08-25 15.41.25.jpg

Another view. This is where the initial crack was. Needless to say, it was significantly more than a crack after the race. This could be bent around with a single finger.
2012-08-25 17.10.35.jpg

Another crack, this one on the back side. This wasn't there before the race.
2012-08-25 15.42.15.jpg

Mihir and Tommy cleaning up the new subframe, put together by the Independent Speed Shop. This place is amazing. I can't even describe half of what they do. There just aren't words. Oh, Mihir is wearing the towel to prevent any more wire brush spines from the angle grinder from embedding themselves in his face. The blurry brown stuff in the air is rust.
2012-08-25 13.42.28.jpg

Now this is how it's done. Many thanks to the Independent Speed Shop - http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Independent-Speed-Shop/251112454950239 for putting this together. It's been reinforced six ways from Sunday - if I break this, I think they will break ME. Seriously, the original frame has had new plate steel cut and welded overtop, plus they added cross bars and corner supports.
2012-08-25 17.49.35.jpg

2012-08-25 17.49.24.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Cripes, my photo taking skills suck. How can a guy take pics from two different angles, and still manage to hide most of the extra welding that was done? I'll try to fix that tomorrow and post some at least half decent shots.