The Mistress

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It has extremely fine resolution... too fine, for most things. That's the problem... imagine you are trying to move your finger perfectly parallel to the desk, but 18 inches above it, to 'click'. Consider that selecting a tab on your browser means you have to be accurate within about 5mm up/down and 25mm right/left... and the imaginary plane you cross to 'click' is an inch long.

Maybe it'll get better with practice, but not so far.

Also, your arms get tired.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
GrimJack;1957663 said:
It has extremely fine resolution... too fine, for most things. That's the problem... imagine you are trying to move your finger perfectly parallel to the desk, but 18 inches above it, to 'click'. Consider that selecting a tab on your browser means you have to be accurate within about 5mm up/down and 25mm right/left... and the imaginary plane you cross to 'click' is an inch long.

Maybe it'll get better with practice, but not so far.

Also, your arms get tired.

Yeah but you could end up looking like those idiots on the crime shows on TV. So.... Get some practice and impress your house guests!! Haha.

If nothing else it looks like it'd be fun in a 3d art program of some sort.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A few more new bits...

20131105_185030.jpg

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
turbogate;1975101 said:
How's your long term impression for the clutch? did you put some more miles on her?

Thanks for documenting everything.
+1 and how many shims/clearance did you need when all said and done? I'm considering this same twin disk for my 2JZ/R-154 and would like a good starting point on shimming.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
turbogate;1975101 said:
How's your long term impression for the clutch? did you put some more miles on her?

Thanks for documenting everything.
Long(er) term - clutch is really grabby. I'll put up with it for the ease on the pedal pressure. :) Other than that, it's been awesome.

kneedragger85;1975107 said:
+1 and how many shims/clearance did you need when all said and done? I'm considering this same twin disk for my 2JZ/R-154 and would like a good starting point on shimming.
I didn't keep track of the shims, unfortunately, and it's more complicated than it sounds, as mine came with 4 different shim thicknesses. I did have to pull the tranny several times to get it shimmed right, even after some very precise measurements.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Was having some problems starting, and I checked damn near everything before finally discovering the starter itself was on the way out. Not entirely dead, but close enough, especially with the ambient temps here dropping below freezing recently.

So, I pulled the damn thing out (which, by the way, is no picnic on a 2JZ swapped car) and sent it in for a rebuild. Yesterday it came back, and the missus actually helped re-install it, the sexy thing! Cranks unbelievable well now. :)

2013-12-28-10.49.18.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
2jz or 7m starter?

It's nice getting new grills. I have a set in the bags still. There lovely little things.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A few updates...

Old hose clamps:
2014-05-31_12.46.49.jpg

Rather ugly, if I do say so myself.
2014-05-31_12.47.42.jpg

New hose clamps. These are thermoplastic, designed to clamp anything, even if the pipes are no longer round. Just slide them on, hit them with a heat gun, and you're done.
2014-05-31_12.47.01.jpg

In the engine bay itself:
2014-05-31_15.11.00.jpg

New billet steel timing belt tensioner that I just installed. Matched it up with a new bearing from Toyota, of course. This thing is at least an order of magnitude tougher than the cast aluminum piece it replaced, and the cast units don't seem to hold up well to bigger cams.
Timing_Belt_Tensioner.jpg

And lastly, a new (bad) picture of my engine bay as it sits now. It's bad because, as always, I suck behind a camera. (In front of one, too.)
Engine_Bay_2014-06-01.jpg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I was thinking about this thread the other day, I'm glad to see updates. I love the color of your car as well, and just how clean the entire car is. This is definitely one of my favorite MK3's ever.

Those hose clamps are pretty cool. Are they a one time use type of thing or can the be refitted to the pipes if needed?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
GrimJack;2013090 said:
Definitely a one time use. They only cost $3 each though, so if I have to take apart the coolant lines, it's only $6 to put it back together.

Ah, that's what I figured. I also thought they would have been more expensive than just $3 each.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
And a recent engine bay pic of the Mistress, as of about 10 minutes ago. This shows a bunch of the changes since last year... engine cover from Ian, throttle IC pipe re-route, new power steering reservoir and coolant overflow from Tommy, Willwood adjustable brake proportioning valve from Ron and installed by William, some ARP shiny bits here and there... quite the recipe for happy.

There have been some larger changes as well, (can you say Vipec i88 upgrade?) but those are all hidden away, this is the out in the open shiny bits.

Engine_Bay_2014-07-12.jpg