The diamond in the rough. 1991 blue metallic turbo targa restoration

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Picked up some Intrax lowering springs for $100 so decided to throw those on so the car will have a nice stance when its done. The rear lowered about 2" however the front without the engine looks exactly the same, man I hope it lowers 6" with the engine haha.:

Also installed the map ecu 2 where the OEM ecu use to be. I am going to have to mount the 2jzge ecu on the floor like it is in the mkiv(I tried everywhere else possible and there is no room).

Finally finished shaving all the little holes I wanted with fiberglass and bondo and started to primer. Will have to do a bunch more sanding however its getting close to paint!

Starting to tackle the wiring portion of the swap, which doesn't seem to hard, however I can't find any good info on wiring a 2jzge ECU into a ma70. It seems everyone uses 7mgte electronics when using a 2jzge. Anyone have any good threads on it?

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well, got a whole lot done this weekend on the car. But I will let the pictures do the talking.
Primer:

Viper Red Base:

Clear:

Not bad for a little rinky dink garage setup and a $300 paint kit!

Also dropped the dif and opened it up to inspect/clean and then put some new redline shockproof in:
Before:

After:

Got the 2j back finally from the machine shop and gave her some love:

How she sits at this moment:

Got the crank installed into the 2j last night but didnt get any pictures. Gonna mount the CP pistons onto the stock rods and then gap the rings and put them all in! Hope to have the engine in the car in a few weeks and have her fired up in around a month. Then I will go about repainting the entire body.

SIV 2016 here I come!!!!

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
The entire car will be painted to match in the coming months. I figured while I had the engine out I should properly paint the bay. I can't find a paint match for the targa and wing and hate having them both so faded and ugly.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Some of the 2jz assembly. Gapped the rings to .019 and should be installing them later this week. I told the rods the next time i see them they all better be in one piece.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
She is slowly becoming a car again. Really happy with how the paint is turning out:

2jz finally has her piston/rods and oil pump on:

And mounted the 2jz ecu in the floor panel, have a gs300 ABS ecu cover as well that I will trim down to protect it:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Got a lot done this weekend..... Got the DLSR out for some good pictures.

Ready for her new heart:

Mated up to the r154.

Hoping these intrax front springs settle a bit more as I add more parts on.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well decided to go megasquirt so progress has slowed a bit as I redo everything haha. Car is ready for its first start in the next few days after having all kinds of annoying problems. I will update this properly when she runs. For now:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
looking good man - what kind of primer and paint did you use? and what did you use to fill the holes?

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
tlo86;2078178 said:
looking good man - what kind of primer and paint did you use? and what did you use to fill the holes?
Its just cheap paintforcars.com paint. I used it on my celica and after it hardened(It took forever) it actually lasts pretty well. The holes were filled mostly with fiberglass and then a slight amount of filler on the top to get it smooth. The correct way is to weld the holes and grind them smooth, however I only have a flux core welder that would probably burn right through the thin metal.

Also... ITS ALLLIIVVEEEE:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
it works either way its not like its a body panel but ive repaired holes in panels when they ask "can you go even cheaper? " using fiberglass Lol.

wehat primer do you plan on the rest of the body? is there much body work needed on it(from here it looks excellent)?

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
tlo86;2078223 said:
it works either way its not like its a body panel but ive repaired holes in panels when they ask "can you go even cheaper? " using fiberglass Lol.

wehat primer do you plan on the rest of the body? is there much body work needed on it(from here it looks excellent)?
There's 2 or 3 small quarter sized dents, but the rest of the body is dead straight and that is a big reason why I bought the car. The interior was thrashed, the engine was toast, but the body was very very straight.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
man nothing beats that - i did dentless repair for a while and those are nothin lol could almost just ignore em - if the body is that good id use an epoxy primer you could lay your paint down right after the flash time no shrinkage and adhesion is usually top notch

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Been Lax on updating this. The car is now driving and pulling like an absolute freight train. Going to be hard to tear her back apart for paint in the next few weeks, but it needs to be done before SIV!

From nothing to a real car!

Tuning the 2 step. Poor super dragger is falling apart haha: