The diamond in the rough. 1991 blue metallic turbo targa restoration

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well I figure I am far enough now that I should start a build thread before I start forgetting things(I never made one of my red MKIII and regret it as I have forgotten a lot about the car). I sold my 89 turbo targa about 3 years ago after going to college and realizing that I can't afford to own such a finicky car as a modified mkiii so it was sold. I was only 19 when I built this car and I took it from basically a shell to a running daily driver supra.

Fast forward three years and I am out of college living on my own with a decent job so I decided it was time to fill that open garage space I have. I looked for about a year for a clean, cheapish mkiii project that I could restore and build into one of the cleaner mkiiis around and still be able to daily drive when I wanted. I looked at a handful of different cars including everything from a caged 87 shell that was riddled with aftermarket parts to a running 89 NA that was on its last legs. Finally someone posted on the local supra facebook page with exactly what I was looking for. A clean 1991 Turbo Targa that had all the parts needed but just needed to be put back together.

I immediately messaged the guy and 2 days later drove down the hour and half to look at the car. The car had been sitting in this guys driveway for 3 years after the old engine developed rod knock from being starved of oil. He installed a new engine however never found the time to get everything bolted up and basically just lost interest in the car. Upon arrival there were a few things that caught my eye as far as paint fade and chips that he had not mentioned, but nothing that was too bad and overall the car was very clean(Dirty, but clean)

I talked with the owner and found that there was a huge issue with the paperwork in that he basically had none on the car. I had to wait about 2 weeks before he got it sorted out and I was able to talk him down to $500 for the car(Plus $700 in DMV back fees) but for $1200 I was happy and went down with a truck and trailer and picked her up the next day.

Got home that night and pushed her into the driveway so that I could wash her the next morning knowing once she was in the garage she would be there for at least a few months.

Woke up the next morning like a kid at Christmas and ran out to give her the first wash she had had in a while

As I had hoped the paint was in great condition, it was just dirty and needed a good wash(can't wait to see what it looks like waxed). Later that day I(we) pushed the fat ole girl into the garage and for the first time the daily driver celica had to move its ass over for its new garage mate

A few days later I started digging into the car and figuring out what was what. A LOT needed to be cleaned under the engine bay(I assume he left the hood off for a while) as it had sat under a tree so there was dirty and leaves all over.

I started cleaning the engine bay and disassembling the engine mainly to get everything clean but also to make sure everything was done right(My red car was all botched up which made me a bit gun shy on relying on others).

Old VS New

Popped the valve cover off and was pleasantly surprised to find that the head was spotless and hadn't even seen oil yet. I also found ARP head bolts :icon_bigg

Once I had gotten most everything cleaned I decided on a black and silver color scheme for teh engine bay and went to work with the paint cans. Of course it being a 7m 4/6 exhaust manifold studs pulled out so I had to helicoil all of them

Had a friend come over to work on his MKIV and figured I might as well get some shots of the two generations of blue

By this point(as you can see) I started working on other parts of the car and took the wing and targa off to get painted(Which I still have not done lol). I also started examining around the rest of the car and found a few nice upgrades like kenwood front speakers

Finally got most everything on the engine and that's where things got bad...

First thing that happened was as I was filling the engine with coolant I had a BAD leak coming from the back and it was coming down both sides of the block(wtf?) I of course checked the rear rubber coolant hoses and they were all bone dry.shit. I pulled the manifold off and finally discovered it was coming from the back of the block. Freeze plug. Shit.

At this point I knew I had to pull the engine to replace the rear freeze plug so I was done for the night and went inside in a fit of rage :: angry ::. The next day after work I thought well what the hell, Ill fill it with oil and let it start and run for a minute or 2 and then compression test it to insure the engine is at least strong before I pull it and put it back in. I put oil and start to hear dripping and see my garage floor covering in oil. :icon_evil. I start looking at the obvious suspects like the oil pan, oil drain etc and find nothing. Then I look under the intake and find this

The oil was leaking from between the head and block. SON OF A B!TCH. So for the second night in a row I go inside in a fit of rage :: angry :::: angry ::.

The next day I come back out and find that they did not machine the front timing cover when they did the block, so the head is at an angle and that was the reason for the leak. Or so I thought... A few weeks go by and I slowly start tearing all the freshly painted parts off the engine and I get ready to pull the engine out. About a week about I finally got the engine pulled out and discovered something that gave me a nice chuckle.
In

And out

I knew I kept that 3" straight exhaust off the red car for a reason!

And what do we have here??

There is no way they could have.......... THEY DID:

The genius that assembled the engine put the headgasket on backwards... Which accounts for both my oil and coolant leak... *Sigh*

Well since he couldn't seem to install a headgasket properly I am going through the entire engine double checking all of this work.

And this gets us up to speed to where I am today. Luckily the bottom end was rebuilt by the looks of it however I have not plastigaged everything yet to see if the clearances are in spec:

After some elbow grease the head and block are looking ok and I have sanded down the front timing cover so it is in line with the block(not sure if its a huge deal but I might as well if I am here). I found a bit of discoloration on the #3 rod and cap , but it doesn't looking too bad

That is where the car currently sits and tomorrow I hope to pick up some assembly lube and plastigage and start measuring everything and reassembling. My main goal for this car is to have something that I can daily drive and take on long road trips(SIV,TORC, etc) yet has enough punch to back up the supra name(300-400whp). I should be able to do this with this fresh well taken care of 7m but only time will tell. If not ill throw a 2j in and call it a day lol.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
One of my favorite colors on the MKIII. Good luck fixing the other guys mistakes. Hopefully it will be a nice project from here on out and not be a money pit more than you already know it's going to be.

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
dmp316;2037547 said:
I have the same color supra i loved it and miss that supra. Nice build
Still got the car, 2jz swapped. Now saving up for paint and body work.
Subscribing to this thread. Keep up the good work.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Not much of an update but I got the whole bottom end measured out and luckily its all in spec and installed properly so it leads me to believe he had the machine shop assemble the bottom end. Today I hope to get the head measured out and then start putting everything back together(again). I ordered new freeze plugs to replace the crappy Dorman ones(Which are notorious to leak and what I thought caused my coolant leak) and they will hopefully be here today as well as the new head gasket.

I keep getting the urge to buy aftermarket parts I see for great deals around here and on craigslist, but since I have never driven the car or even heard the engine turn over yet I don't think that's a wise choice haha

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Alright so I bit of an update. Worked on the car last night and today and got a decent amount done.

The old head gasket was pretty beat up for having never seeing any engine operation

So I got a nice new one from a friend :) (notice the proper orientation)

After that I knocked the shitty dorman freeze plugs out and put in nice new OEM Toyota ones(still need to clean some of the FIPG off)

Then for whatever reason I went back to the bottom end(giggidy) and shimmed the oil pump:

And of course while installing the bolt on the pump I thought "I wonder what the TSRM spec is for torque on this bo......FUCK.

Luckily it was still early in the night so I went and got a screw extraction kit and got it out(those things are worth there weight in GOLD). Needless to say this was near me at all times after that incident:

Today I woke up and laid the ARP head bolts out and got them cleaned up and ready for install

And using the powers of teh interzebz. POOF

I have an engine again! I opted to torque the head down to 90ftlbs which is what ARP recommends and since I plan to beat on this engine a bit I figure its a good idea. After that I started installing useless parts like the intake and exhaust manifolds and fuel injectors haha

Tomorrow the plan is to somehow flip this fat girl around so I can stick her face out of the garage and pressure wash all the crap out of the engine bay and still be able to single handily get her back in the garage

I am done essentially with working on the engine on the stand. Hopefully I can get the engine back in the car mid week and fire her up HOPEFULLY next weekend. Then the real fun starts and I get to change the color of the interior and start making her look presentable again!

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Alright, been a while since I updated this so I guess its time to get it up to speed. Ill start where I left off on the last post.

I got the car flipped around the next day and stuck the nose out of the garage to get pressure washed.
Before:

After:

While she was drying and her ass was all up in my face I figured I should drop the tank and see how much crap was in there(200k miles and 24 years old).

To my surprise both the pump and tank looked almost brand new, with NO dirt or sludge anywhere.

So I cleaned the exterior of the tank and put it back up(was a lot easier job than I thought it would be:

After that I spun her back around.. and POOF

The engine jumped right in! I got everything connected and filled her oil and did not have one leak! started to fill her with coolant, and of course, it started to leak out of the waterpump :: angry ::. Figured it must have been the FIPG that I used to seal it so I left it alone and figured id go buy a new gasket the next day. I figured, like last time, I might as well start the car without coolant just to see if it runs. I got the battery hooked up, pulled the EFI fuse and cranked for about 5 seconds to let the oil circulate. I think reinstalled the EFI fuse and after another 10 seconds she roared to life!!!!

I sat in the driver seat, watching the RPMs holding perfectly still at 700rpm with a HUGE grin on my face. I then glance over at the oil pressure gauge, and its still at 0................ FUCK. Shut the engine off and investigated. Sure as shit, my entire garage floor under the car was covered in brand new oil..:1zhelp:.I immediately thought the worst and figured the crank had walked so hard it blew out the trans(lolz) and that was the oil everywhere. I looked all over and found the leak coming from the exhaust side, so I immediately thought turbo feed or drain. The drain had some oil on it so I thought hmm, maybe that's it since I only Form in Place Gasketed it? After thinking about it for a while I realized there is no way I can lose an entire oil pan of oil in 15 seconds through a drain. Regardless I knew it was coming from down in that area, so off came the turbo for inspection. I am sure some of you may already know what I discovered, but of course, I did not check the rear oil galley bolt and sure as shit it was MIA. While the turbo is out I am replacing the metal coolant line gasket and turbo oil drain gasket so I am on hold until Toyota gets the parts in :: angry ::. I got the oil galley plug off my spare engine and used some fipg on the threads to make sure that SOB wont leak.

I still need to clean some of the FIPG off the drain and I hope to get everything re installed tomorrow evening!

I did however score a 3" HKS super dragger mufffler today for $40 :D. The 3" DP with cutout to 3" straight pipe to the dragger should sound Badass once the car passes smog!

I also discovered some asshole bird hit my hood directly even though its under a damn eave...

Should be posting a second first start video tomorrow night!!!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Im going to tell you this right now. This head gasket will NOT last.

15857042714_6f4007e9fd_h.jpg

I highly advise you to remove it and install a OEM head gasket .

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
JDMMA70;2039322 said:
Im going to tell you this right now. This head gasket will NOT last.
I highly advice you to remove it and install a OEM head gasket

Are you saying that because he didn't get the head and block machine-resurfaced?
It'd be helpful to explain your reasoning.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Nick M;2039349 said:
Because that gasket is an obvious piece of low dollar shit.

Oh, I see. I had forgotten/am a little surprised to rediscover anyone bothers making a worse-than-oem quality composite gasket. it seems pretty sadistic given all the issues with the factory installed ones...

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Sumeet told me to tell you guys he has two local engines running them just fine :icon_razz

Last edited: