***The Burgandy Supras Thread***

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
I thought something was different with that car but didn't think much of it at first glance. It's not bad, I just don't like the nose piece in general. IMHO pre-89 had the best front end and 89+ had the best rear.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I need to get out and take some pics of this car, but it's depressing really... the clearcoat is going REALLY bad, and I'm getting ready to have some repairs/prep work done for a new paint job (think I will re-spray gunmetal, paint trim too for the 91+ look)

196478_7357195437_2412_n.jpg

189824_7357210437_3478_n.jpg

just for reference... this pic is so old that the blitz badge on the back is white (instead of yellow). I actually don't mind it for some odd reason. I guess the yellow really bugged me. The car was keyed ages ago... pass rear fender has some light rust, and driver rear quarter has a dent under the trim (right in front of tail light) I promise I'll take pics tomorrow.

BTW this one has pinstripes just like the one a few posts up, although they have come off in spots....

f-r-i-k;1873669 said:

that IS intriguing... the way the 89+ turn signals go with the 88 front end... I like.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
so I did take some more pics... nothing special, as something is wrong w/ the rear end. I was supposed to get it up on a lift last week, but I guess my buddy has been too busy w/ other work.... anyhow you can see the work I've got cut out. (rust, dent, giant key mark down the side, clear coat going to hell)

overall though, it is in very good shape, but I think I may re-spray in gunmetal... still undecided.

Attachments

• DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00055.jpg
    DSC00055.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 23

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
89jdm7m;1910559 said:
so I did take some more pics... nothing special, as something is wrong w/ the rear end. I was supposed to get it up on a lift last week, but I guess my buddy has been too busy w/ other work.... anyhow you can see the work I've got cut out. (rust, dent, giant key mark down the side, clear coat going to hell)

overall though, it is in very good shape, but I think I may re-spray in gunmetal... still undecided.

Gunmetal is one of the best colors you can have on a mk3 in my opinion. Looks good though. My paint aside from the hood is still good. I don't has teh monies for a respray :(

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
luckily I think all the bodywork is going to end up being about $600 -actual cost of paint. Just so happens I managed to run into/ask the right person about having the work done. :cool:

TBH I want to do the work myself but I don't have a place or tools to work on it -_-

I've already got the $ for the body/prep work sitting beside me... too bad I'm having issues w/ the rear end... also the exhaust is pretty crappy, and I'll be dropping ~$400 on having a custom exhaust done right. ~100 for magnaflow muffler, ~100 for vibrant res. ~100 for piping, and ? for having my buddy weld it up RIGHT (he runs his own tuning shop, and I've know him for quite some time, so I know he does quality work)

only other plans are an entire suspension overhaul of which I've got maybe 1/3 of the parts for so far (don't have plans for replacing sway bars yet, will wait and see how it does with everything else freshened up)

check out this is300 color though :drool: graphite grey pearl
dad3.jpg

Last edited:

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
That's not too bad. I'm getting my bumpers resprayed for $400 in spring, one of my friends works in a paint booth at a Toyota dealer. Might get the hood painted too, not sure just yet.

Bodywork is one of the few things I dunno how to do. I have a few SMALL dents but fortunately the Supra gods blessed me with a pretty clean setup from the get go.

Only way I'd pay that much for an exhaust would be if it was mandrel bent with ss piping. Mine was mandrel bent with regular steel and my buddy fabbed it for $150 (testpipe back)

jyjyvazu.jpg

Do you have a downpipe too?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
that does look purdy clean :cool:.... the exhaust will pretty much have no bends... the resonator alone is a lil more than 100, the muffler is around 100, and the piping is just under 100

I've had experience doing bodywork in the past... if anything it's time consuming and requires a good deal of attention to detail and patience...

I think my exhaust will end up looking like yours, but I will spray it flat black to keep all the honda fanboys off my ass

attachment.php
that was my last supra... stolen :(

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
That's a bummer. I'm assuming you got some insurance money from it?

I know how it feels to lose a Supra, my little brother wrecked mine when I went off to school and I had to sell my old one when I moved to the Chicago a few years back, fortunately I saved enough for another and the little shit got it fixed.

I wish I had a bigger muffler so I could run 4" but ill wait til I go big single on the 1JZ.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
just go with 3" unless you plan on making over 700hp. that white 87 had 3.5" and as you can see it's on stock suspension... clearance was still an issue.

and no, my buddy fried the motor one day so I had insurance taken off until it was back up and running... it got stolen though... lotsa $ in the drivetrain/tuning equipment.... I'm just now getting back in the supra game, and that 87 was stolen in jan. of 2008

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
got a qustion for yall do yall think it would be to ricey or clash with the burgandy if i had my brake calipers powder coated red i would have the xxr 521s in black and will be getting the car painted soon with factory 3h1

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Needboost;1921436 said:
got a qustion for yall do yall think it would be to ricey or clash with the burgandy if i had my brake calipers powder coated red i would have the xxr 521s in black and will be getting the car painted soon with factory 3h1

I just did my calipers in red on my burgandy 87 and they look really good with gun metal wheels. Would probabaly look great with black wheels