The Build of p5150 - 2JZGE-T, GT4294, Paint, and more stuff

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Lots of stuff is headed my way! Its a good thing I will have some time off to meet mr UPS/FEDEX/USPS/DHL at the door! I am oh so poor now.

Please forgive the crude formatting:

4" THICK DRIFT SPEC SUPER MONSTER INTERCOOLER FMIC

86-92 TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO,FRONT AND REAR BRAKE CALIPERS

Silicone hump hose 3" Coupler

AEM REPLACMENT DRY FLOW AIR FILTER 6" X 9" 21-2099DK

HKS SSQV BOV STEEL WELD FLANGE 65MM 1410-SA002

2 3.25" SS T Bolt Clamps Tbolt Band Silicone 3 1/4"

4" x 10" Exhaust Flex Pipe Tube Stainless Steel

5" Silicone Hose Connectors w/t-bolt clamps

2" x 8" Exhaust Flex Pipe Tube Stainless Steel

I have also ordered a 5" aluminum pipe for the turbo intake and a bunch of 4" stainless mandrel bends for the exhaust. That shit is expensive!

golf97

May 1, 2007
Spokane
I see a couple of you are from Spokane. I'm looking to get into a MKIII Turbo and found this one:
http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/346540804.html
Is it someone on the board, or can anyone tell me anything about the history of the car or the value?

Sorry to invade on a thread with offtopic material, but on topic:
That sounds like a crazy build, I come from a world of WRXs where that size of project is a rarity. I'm selling mine right now because like a lot of WRX owners, I spent a lot of money on the car and don't want to end up breaking something. I did a mild turbo upgrade setup, but its not enough and I'm tired of being scared of blowing something up. Good luck on the project, I'd love to see it in person sometime. I can also move a wrench, so give me a pm if you need a hand or two.

TIA,
Bryan.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
1: If that's the supra I think, then it does belong to someone on the board.

2: I know the previous owner before him as well...

golf97 said:
I see a couple of you are from Spokane. I'm looking to get into a MKIII Turbo and found this one:
http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/346540804.html
Is it someone on the board, or can anyone tell me anything about the history of the car or the value?

Sorry to invade on a thread with offtopic material, but on topic:
That sounds like a crazy build, I come from a world of WRXs where that size of project is a rarity. I'm selling mine right now because like a lot of WRX owners, I spent a lot of money on the car and don't want to end up breaking something. I did a mild turbo upgrade setup, but its not enough and I'm tired of being scared of blowing something up. Good luck on the project, I'd love to see it in person sometime. I can also move a wrench, so give me a pm if you need a hand or two.

TIA,
Bryan.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Since Ive last updated, I have mangaged to get a few things done:

4" downpipe bult - it was hard to stuff this in!

Re-clocked wastegate flange and built dump tube.

IC pipes pretty much done

Downpipe, wastegate and turbo hot side coated with thermal barrier

Airflow ducting for top/bottom of intercooler

Heat wrap on manifold and downpipe

Elbow welded onto turbo compressor housing..

In order to make the turbo fit I had to make a wedge-shaped adaptor plate out of three T4 flanges welded together. After welding them, I cut them at an approximate 25 degree angle across the face to keep the compressor housing from striking the strut tower and position it a bit closer to the engine.

After all of that I am pretty much convinced that this is one of the biggest turbos that can fit in the engine bay without modifying the hood, strut tower, etc.

All thats left before startup is fuel lines! I certainly wont be able to drive it without a bit more stuff like the PCV lines and stuff but it should be done soon.

Attachments

• DSCN0974.JPG
    DSCN0974.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN0971.JPG
    DSCN0971.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 330

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I ordered all of the fuel stuff today. Spent about 4-5 hours figuring out all of the fittings, drawing the diagrams and processing the order. Lots of different fittings.....

Came out to be about $350 for the fittings and lines for the whole system. With the AFPR, dual pumps, injectors, and filter I think the whole system was close to about 1200 bucks.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
hey man, stuff looks like its going good. i am coming home this weekend (130 days feels like a lifetime!). cant wait to start working on my car again. you still got the same number? i'll deff gonna have to give you a call. i have some questions for ya. keep up the good work.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Well today I got the EMS to work in the car. I have the 9v fuel pump relay still intact with a 12v step switched on by a sw/ground on the AEM. I also have fuel cut for the 9v set on the AEM with some parameters that have yet to be established.

The fuel lines have been installed with a -10 feed and -6 return and dual walboros. I got the pumps to turn on today and lets just say that I have a couple of leaks to figure out tomorrow.

The engine bay is all done and I honestly think that once I get these fuel leaks resolved that I can give it a crank and see if it starts. But you know how that goes......

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I really want to post some more stuff up about what has been accomplished, but I am too busy working on the car! I will get some comprehensive pics and all that shiz when I get this thing a bit closer to being done.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51909 - Details my adventure with the ignition and cam position sensor hookup.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52890 - talks about how I wired up two resistors to accomodate the higher demand from two fuel pumps. I have the pumps set up to switch to a full 12v at + boost. The single resistor was not beefy enough to handle two pumps. The wire thickness is fine.

The car starts now and runs for a second before it shuts off. I think I need to work more on the ignition and fuel maps - I should have more time to do it soon.

I feel like I am getting over this big hill.... This car has taken up so much of my time.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I ended up removing the resistors alltogether. The dual walboros didnt like it and they would not maintain fuel pressure. I ended up using a completely separate relay and using a switched ground from the AEM to fire em up.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
any new progress? didnt know if you got er' goin. and if your wondering, no i havent even tore into mine yet lol. hopefully next month though. still waiting on a few things.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Yeah - ive spent a lot of time painting all of the trim pieces.

I tinted the tail lights and all of the marker lights with some tinted clear coat. They look pretty sick.

Tuning out the AEM has been my hang up lately. The wife is always wanting something else done on my days off. I get backfires once in awhile and its rather loud when it doesnt backfire so I have been working on it only during the day time.

Setting the timing on the EMS setup was kind of a bitch but I found that the key in finding the mark is painting it on the front of the pulley too. Also batt voltage needs to be decent to get it close before re-verifying the timing with it running.

The turbo drain line I had made wasnt quite big enough so it wasnt draining fast enough. A small amount of oil was leaking past the front seal and dripping on the manifold. Smoke. Smoke. I upgraded the line size and had to grind a bit on the manifold flange to make it fit.

This huge turbo has been really hard to stuff into the cramped space.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I thought you'd have it running and dyno'd by now, but I'm sure you thought the same thing. Keep up the good work and tell your wife that you're going to have to reorganize your priorities until further notice................:biglaugh:

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Remember the oil on the manifold that I talked about on the last post? I thought I had got it all out of the header heat wrap with degreaser and a hose, but it turned into a FIRE.

HOLY SHIT MY CAR WAS ON FIRE.

Actually it wasnt that big of deal. I thought there could be a remote chance of that happening so I had an extinguisher close by. No biggie. Just messy. No damage.

Im working out the finer points of my pcv system now. Ive also been welding up an intake pipe to fit my 6x9" dry-flow air filter. Damn its big.