temp is rising.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
clogged radiator, clogged cooling system. thermostat not opening. radiator cap not keeping pressure.

and by freeway do you mean like the grapevine? or just some of the hills in LA?

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
i know i was thinking about that too, but i never had any problems with before so im hoping that my thermostat might be the problem. its the santa clarita hill on the I5 and the 2 north heading out to la canada is when i noticed the temp rising.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you dont need the under cover... and i run without a shroud too now. i have zero issues. they make the system more effective, but are needed 100%.

my vote is thermostat and you need to clean the radiator out

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Rinse off your radiator, get all the crap out of it, etc.

Are you still on stock twins, or single, new twins? Heat shield in place still? That makes a world of diff on underhood temps.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Rennat;1179778 said:
fans dont matter at highways speeds. which is why you dont hear them roaring full blast. fans cool the car when theres not enough air going past the radiator.

That depends on your setup. If you have a big fmic blocking direct airflow and no undercover it will cause the air to diflect around the radiator. The fans will have to draw air into the void behind the fmic and pull it through the rad. If they're not strong enough you might get some coolant temps to creep up. I had this problems with a 4" thick fmic, electric fans and the a/c on full blast on the highway with my old 2jz car.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I had the same shit on highways. my hydrofan wasn't working and was on manual switch. But in the city motor never overheated it stayed 198F steady with hydrofan spinning on default low, even in 95-95 F degree heat. So it only overheated on highways, and when i switched the fan on it would cool to 192 in a second. So before i changed the motor the compression was very uneven. one cylinder read 135 when the rest were 165-160. I don't know if uneven compression could be the cause for overheating though.

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
i have a to4 single upgrade with a stock intercooler and radiator/hydro pump setup. i'm going to try to bleed the system and if that doesn't work then i'll just replace the thermostat. does anyone know if the 2jz thermostat will work?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
slidingsidewayz;1181427 said:
i have a to4 single upgrade with a stock intercooler and radiator/hydro pump setup. i'm going to try to bleed the system and if that doesn't work then i'll just replace the thermostat. does anyone know if the 2jz thermostat will work?

is your hydro fan in working order? does it come on when temps are above 200?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
slidingsidewayz;1181611 said:
no. my hydro fan actually hasn't been working the same ever since i shorted out the B+ pin/wire in the ecu. that also could be the problem.

Well you probably found the issue. My GS300 electric fans come on all the time on highways.

SONNO_

Permabanned
Oct 24, 2008
Jacksonville
I would get an upgraded radiator and run Dual fans or single "16. Im running a stock radiator, fmic 3inches thick, and dual fans(with no condesner). My car runs hot only when I run 80 mph and higher on the highway. I was running a Single 16' fan before and it was doing the same so I tried duals and now still the same. On account of are FMIC's blocking the stock rad. or better said restricting airflow to the stock radiator create's this problem.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I love my hydrofan. My car runs at 185* everywhere I go. I have an upgraded radiator and an upgraded intercooler.

Todd beat me to it, but yes the 2jz thermostat will work. Good luck.