Tell me sumn about rap...

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Big Wang Bandit said:
Its a generation thing. My dad has a semi wide taste in music, but I'm sure he would hate any rap music. Most people in this generation(mine, Joe's) are more open to "rap/hip hop" because we grew up around it, whilst back in the day(I'm not sure what your day is :rofl:) Rap was a far fetched idea

Yes, my gen, had no idea. I used to go to sleep at night listening to "American Top 40", with Kasey Kasem. Alot of fond memories with music like the Spinners, Marvin Gaye, Hall and Oates, Curtiss Mayfield, Parliament and others. Back in the day (60's & 70's) you didn't have to shock, to entertain!

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Good discussion. You guys all seem like good kids, that I have no doubt. I just don't see the attraction to the stuff I was railing against.
tt you all later.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Fuzz420 said:
please dont confuse REAL rap/hiphop with songs like: "ay bay bay" and "crank dat soulja boy"

Plus One.

The catchy rap out now, sells because it's just that, catchy, a song that gets drilled into your head and they play it in the clubs for everyone to dance to.

On the other hand - You've got artists in Hip Hop/R&B/Rap, that truly do have a talent for what they write.
They, who produce, write, and create their OWN music, I have nothing but respect for. This goes for ANY genre of music.

I absolutely REFUSE to pindown one genre of music because of a handful of artists that make it something it's not.

I enjoy System of a Down and Disturbed... but does this mean I enjoy Hanson who would foolishly be thrown in the same basic genre (Rock)?
NO.

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
91T breezen' said:
No, that is mainly what I listened too. Pink Floyd, Lynard Skynard, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and so on and so forth.
My son grew up in an all white middle class neihborhood anyways. Rap music would not have made any sense to him. I was in the Army when he was alot younger, and saw the relevance of some of it (the kind you are defending) But, it seemed that no one really listened to the better types. It just wasn't "cool", it had to be gansta'!
I just don't get it.

If that aint racist, then I don't know what is.

"My son grew up in an all white middle class neighborhood anyways. Rap music would not have made any sense to him."

Since when does rap apply to a certain ethnicity? Are you in this statement applying that only whites can be of middle class? That whole statement to me is totally ignorant. Why? I'm white and I KNOW what rap music is and I can understand it and listen to it. Does that make me lower class or a "wigger"?

Rap and the whole urban hip hop style is a form of expression as I said before. The whole "gangsta" look as you may call it or baggy pants. It's a way of expressing yourself just as in any other look. Just because someone dresses that way does that make them a bad person? NO, just because I dress a certain way or listen to a certain music doesn't mean I'm stupid or "gangsta" and going out killing people.

Thanks....

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Skam9685 said:
If that aint racist, then I don't know what is.

"My son grew up in an all white middle class neighborhood anyways. Rap music would not have made any sense to him."

I think it's racist to you because you are ignorant and WANT it to sound racist. I grew up in the same environment. When I went overseas to a very mixed school and was exposed to rap music, I didn't want any part of it - not because I was raised racist or not, but because I couldn't understand it. I could not relate to anything those "artists" were "singing" about.

Skam9685 said:
Since when does rap apply to a certain ethnicity? Are you in this statement applying that only whites can be of middle class? That whole statement to me is totally ignorant. Why? I'm white and I KNOW what rap music is and I can understand it and listen to it. Does that make me lower class or a "wigger"?

Again, you are being ignorant. His kid grew up in a predominantly white, middle class neighborhood. He wasn't saying that black people ARE NOT middle class, DO NOT live near white people, or even that they DON'T live in neighborhoods. Grow up and stop trying to make this into a race issue. Maybe you ARE an uneducated "lower class wigger", as you call it.

Skam9685 said:
Rap and the whole urban hip hop style is a form of expression as I said before. The whole "gangsta" look as you may call it or baggy pants. It's a way of expressing yourself just as in any other look.

Do you know WHY sagging came to be? When the gang-bangers [or anyone else] went to jail they were not always issued their exact pant size and they were not allowed belts, as they could be used as weapons to harm themselves or others. It seems that this way of life became something to be proud of, and it invaded gangsta-rap - and has wormed it's way into hip-hop culture, hence, the rest of the free world. Expressing yourself by sagging is saying that you idolize that "thug life" which seems so glamorous to teenagers these days.

Skam9685 said:
Just because someone dresses that way does that make them a bad person? NO, just because I dress a certain way or listen to a certain music doesn't mean I'm stupid or "gangsta" and going out killing people.
Thanks....

You idolize that way of life, you dress and try to look the part, but you don't live it. I'm calling poser on this one. If you can relate to the lifestyle so well, then live it or lose it - unless you really are confirming your ignorance. It's a lose-lose situation, because either way you go, you look like an idiot.

A

ArthurRitus

Well, mainstream music will always be mainstream music.
Because people with real talent make music for the ART, not the money. What you hear on the radio is most likely piece of shit rappers like 50cent who just do it for the money. Or there are those inbetweens also.
Every person/group has some story to where they are and why.

like others have said
dont confuse the mainstream rappers with REAL rappers,
and dont confuse the mainstream rap audience with the real hip hop culture.
u wanna hear some talent?

swollen members
dilated people
zion i
styles of beyond
Gym class heroes
lupe fiasco
digable planets
hieroglyphics
mos def
tribe called quest
talib kiwel
sage francis
glue
de la soul
gang starr
aceyalone

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I just love seeing rich white kids around here trying to seem all gangsta. The way they dress and act screams Malibus most wanted. My 13 year old niece has suddenly taken to pop-rap music, I call it pop-rap because thats just what it is. Mix modern pop music(britnay spears) with some rap and you have a hit apparently.

I grew up in some pretty horrible areas in pittsburgh(and VA) in the early(late 80s) 90s when real rap was becoming popular. I could relate to that music, alot of things being talked about I was going through. My niece doesnt seem to like the old rap at all, she likes only the new stuff. She likes hearing about cars with big rims rather than killing people and dealing drugs. Id honestly rather she listen to old rap instead, at least it had meaning behind it. Pop-rap is just bragging about how many cars these rich rappers are gonna buy thanks to the fans spending money.

Just because you listen to some type of music doesnt mean you have to live the same lifestyle its pushing across. How many country music fans are out driving tractors and roping cows all day long?

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
drunk_medic said:
I think it's racist to you because you are ignorant and WANT it to sound racist. I grew up in the same environment. When I went overseas to a very mixed school and was exposed to rap music, I didn't want any part of it - not because I was raised racist or not, but because I couldn't understand it. I could not relate to anything those "artists" were "singing" about.

Again, you are being ignorant. His kid grew up in a predominantly white, middle class neighborhood. He wasn't saying that black people ARE NOT middle class, DO NOT live near white people, or even that they DON'T live in neighborhoods. Grow up and stop trying to make this into a race issue. Maybe you ARE an uneducated "lower class wigger", as you call it.

Do you know WHY sagging came to be? When the gang-bangers [or anyone else] went to jail they were not always issued their exact pant size and they were not allowed belts, as they could be used as weapons to harm themselves or others. It seems that this way of life became something to be proud of, and it invaded gangsta-rap - and has wormed it's way into hip-hop culture, hence, the rest of the free world. Expressing yourself by sagging is saying that you idolize that "thug life" which seems so glamorous to teenagers these days.

You idolize that way of life, you dress and try to look the part, but you don't live it. I'm calling poser on this one. If you can relate to the lifestyle so well, then live it or lose it - unless you really are confirming your ignorance. It's a lose-lose situation, because either way you go, you look like an idiot.

Actually I grew up in a black and hispanic neighborhood that is not one of your typical suburbia dream places to live so I learned to love the music and the way of life. Im sorry if it seemed like he was being racist but thats how I perceived it cuz I cant stand that crap about people putting down the hip hop community and calling white people wiggers because we dress a certain way and live a certain way. If I overreacted I apologize but it did seem as that is what he said. I dont care if I am white but if it seems as though someone is putting down an african american or "black" I take it very offensively as if I was actually being put down just because I grew up around such people and they are like family to me I guess you could say.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
91T breezen' said:
One of the world's greatest guitarists lives where you Norcal boys are. Joe Satriani! Do any of you guys listen to him? Oh, probably not,:nono: your friends might think you're "Lame"!
Satch, Vai, BB King, John Lee Hooker, there's plenty of artists I know of that my friend's don't listen to. Just because you're a parents doesn't mean you know everything. You must think every kid can't think for themselves and has to be leashed to their parents for 18 years.
Trying to figure this out.(?) What exactly do you like about it? Is it that it's usually obscene? Or is it that it denegrates women, and glorifies violence? Or, is it the way it shows just how stupid people can be, by purchasing...well, "CRAP"!???
Please explain.
I think you mean denigrate or degrades women.

The problem with you guys who hate rap is all you get exposed to is the garbage. There is just as much garbage rock, pop, country and any other genre you can think of. Throwing all of one genre into a crap pile just because you're too ignorant to know any better accomplishes nothing. If you raise your kids right it doesn't matter what they listen to.

I listened to everything when I grew up, did it have an influence on me? Of course, but you know who had the biggest influence? My parents. My core values were instilled upon me long before I got into any type of music so no matter what I heard it didn't effect me in the way you are suggesting here.

Zero talent to produce? Again you have just shown that you know NOTHING about real rap. Throwaway rap for sure but just as much as the rock and pop you hear everyday. I'm sure you haven't banned those in your house have you?? There are just any many acts in every genre that are just there to make a quick buck. There are plenty of incredibly talented rap artists that don't like what the majority of the genre has turned into. You wouldn't know that however because you are obviously so uncomfortable with exploring beyond the surface that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

If you apply this thinking to everything in your life apparently GTA makes you a psycho mass murder, Pacman makes you wanna pop pills and Mario makes you eat mushrooms and smash your head into bricks.
Oh and playing hangman makes me want to run around and lynch people while I'm trying to solve word puzzles.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
iwannadie said:
My 13 year old niece has suddenly taken to pop-rap music,
My niece doesnt seem to like the old rap at all, she likes only the new stuff. She likes hearing about cars with big rims rather than killing people and dealing drugs. Id honestly rather she listen to old rap instead, at least it had meaning behind it.

This is the attitude I was referring to! How you could possibly think that a 13 year old kid should be listening to gangster/thug rap, instead of the "pop rap", because it glorifies murder, and drug dealing?!!! Please do society a favor, and don't have any children!!!
Proven fact that alot of those who rap about it, have lived it. They belong where all criminals belong, behind bars, or waiting for the chair!

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Not really glorifying the act of murdering someone or drug dealing. More like story telling and giving insight to what people have to go through. Er thats how I see it.

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Until you truly know how hard it is to live in the places they rap about, or how hard they really have it in life growing up in a place like that then please don't put them down. In those places growing up, you have to do what you have to do to survive be it selling drugs or whatever. NO, I don't condone that this behavior is okay to do but if you have to survive then by all means do what you gotta do. In those places, YES they want a better life, YES they would rather not live that way, YES they want just the little things that we have and can afford. They just don't have the same options as others do. So in that they sell drugs, commit crimes, murder etc. Once again I don't think that makes it ok but I do understand that you have to do what you have to do to survive in places like that or anywhere for that matter.