Teal 92 7M Rebuild

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Hey guys,

Still new here on the forum but I've been doing lots of homework since I joined a year ago.

Picked up a teal 92 from a kid in Oklahoma a little over a month ago, and now that school is out for winter break I've finally had time to mess with it. Upon starting taking things apart, it became clear that it had been seriously neglected in the year of its previous ownership, and the short drives to school were not kind to the 7M which had reportedly received a new head gasket and water pump etc.

From what I can tell, gas made its way into the oil which ruined the bearings in the bottom end constituting a full rebuild. Being a broke college kid, the build will be spread out over a fair amount of time. I hope to have it driving by the end of next summer.

Plans are a stock rebuild plus ARP studs, with bolt-ons to the limit of the auto trans coming later according to funding. Also pretty dead set on a new oiling system to HOPEFULLY help this engine last a while.

Anyway, here's some pics, got the engine pulled this last weekend and it's getting sent off to a shop in Branson West as soon as possible.

p1903655_1.jpg

p1903655_2.jpg

The bellhousing bolts were surprisingly easy to access, and power steering, A/C, starter, alternator etc. were all removed or pulled out of the way before pulling the engine. Notice the lower intake manifold...couldn't get the wiring harness unplugged enough to take it out, so its still woven in there lolol
p1903655_3.jpg

p1903655_4.jpg

p1903655_5.jpg

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
The block will be out for a while so I'd really like to ha might try and lay some carboard underneath so dad doesn't get too mad about getting his floor all nasty!

87suprat

Sep 11, 2012
salem
Holy shit! you got the motor out without pullin the tranny. its alot easer to just pull the intake plenum, and wiring harness from ecu and pull that whole bitch out complete. good job though must of been a mother lol!

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Yep it pulled out super easy, but we took a long time to prep. We took it loose from ecu but there were a couple plugs near the starter that we couldn't figure out how to get loose without breaking so figured its not hurting anything where it is..but I want to clean it now lol

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Either I destroyed my motor mounts pulling them out or they were already separated (scary), but I'm in the market for new ones and I was wondering where I could find the '98 TT mounts for a decent price.

I'm on the fence as to whether I should get my current injectors flow tested and where might be a good place to do so.

The engine is in more than capable hands at The Pushrod Factory in Branson West and will hopefully be ready in the next couple weeks, more updates to come!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Contact Bob at Ron Tonkin Toyota tell him Sumeet and Ken sent you. 80% off list and free shipping. :)

For Injectors I personally use Cleaninjectors.com but i've heard good from Boostlab in florida ask for Kirk or Lebbet.

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Was thinking the same thing^, but thanks for the suggestions guys! Started looking at brake setups last night (already getting ahead of myself) and kind of liked the 13" rotor 2 piston cobra front setup. Questions are does the driftmotion kit work well enough to avoid any kind of cutting to fit? I've heard the spindle needs a notch to clear; and would I absolutely have to upgrade the rears (aside from upgraded pads) or is it one of those "it's silly not to" situations?

I hate to bastardize this car in any way, I just want it to drive as good as it looks!

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
For the sake of entertainment, this is how I spent the last day of break!

p1906242_1.jpg

Carefully reconstructed for the sake of remembering where shit goes haha

p1906242_2.jpg

Cleaned all gasket surfaces and scrubbed the hell out of the intake runners as well as the trottle body, just waiting on new gaskets now.

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
p1907396_1.jpg

Well this sucks, both sets of tabs on the glove box were snapped off when I got it removed.

Should I fab new mounts or just get a new box ($$)? Lock mechanism works fine and it still looks fine.

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Update..

Old man finally got to my motor after 3 months, it was confirmed it has spun bearing and he wants $2500 for a full (stock) rebuild.
The news broke my heart and I don't know what to do. I can't afford the rebuild and I'm hesitant to drop money on another used engine.
Any professional guidance?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Spend the money. Make sure you use a MHG. Do a turbo elbow full 3" exhaust. Run 10lbs of boost. And do a valve body mod, either a trans go kit or drill seperator plate and shim pressure regulator valve like the " russian" sugest. You will have a great running car. Than as time and money come around go 57 trim and intercooler upgrade.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Damn $2500 is a lot does that include a cylinder head rebuild? My rebuild totalled $2200 head and block

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Yeah my heart stopped when he told me. Better be all OEM Toyota parts for that ha but I think I've been convinced to let him go ahead and finish it. The guy is known pretty well for his work and is all I have available to me really. But I'm confident that he'll build it right and it'll last a while, as I'm not planning on ever racing this motor. I guess it was just more than I was expecting...can't say the car doesn't deserve it though! I still fall more in love with it each day.

Friend I go to school with picked up a project for me in the mean time though, better than endless studying for damn sure

p1925855_1.jpg

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
Rebuild is DONE! Old man that took it apart said sludge was so deep in the oil pan there was an indent from the pickup tube, it's a wonder nothing got cooked when I first test drove the car. The sludge starved the bottom end and spun only one bearing, but the crank survived. New pistons, rings, bearings, and oil pump later:

Also, has anyone had any experience with Topline kits? This is what the old man used

ttankers

Dec 12, 2011
Branson, MO
I'm not around to help so dad can't seem to figure out exactly how the flywheel is bolted up on my auto trans setup...the TSRM doesn't have any blowups and the old man that took apart the motor can't remember either so we need some help. The car will run today if we can get this fixed!

The way it was bolted up before, the starter was engaged so we know it wasn't done right the first time