T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i'm putting it down to a combination of incorrectly configured and airgap... 4 thou is pretty extreme!
A fair few people use the 7m CPS to convert N/A 2jz's to run on the e6x without issues

either way its fixed now... runs a bit rich...(11:1) accidentally made a fireball out the exhaust last night... when i take it back to the tuners they will lean it out a bit..
With my trigger issues fixed the spool has picked up alot, the responsiveness can be compared to when i was running a 57trim ct26 on the factory TCCS.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
This has got to be the longest wait for dyno numbers in history...
Aargh!
I'm thinking about buying this turbo, and I want to know how it compares to the 57 trim.
You're the perfect guinea pig.
ps- what was your numbers on the 57?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
supraguy@aol;1562813 said:
This has got to be the longest wait for dyno numbers in history...
Aargh!
I'm thinking about buying this turbo, and I want to know how it compares to the 57 trim.
You're the perfect guinea pig.
ps- what was your numbers on the 57?

my 57 let go before i could get it dyno'd sorry!

went out for a logging run, decided to get a video entering the free way, only running 7.0psi now for some weird reason, I'm also shifting early round 5000rpm as its still got a bit of work to be done on the tune, its going to sit in my garage for another 2 weeks now until my booking comes around!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyyZmy7PjI

throttle pump ins't set up yet, and dash rpm cuts out, in the log the rpm didn't drop so must be the AUX out for the tacho playing up. as you can see its not so bad any more :)

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1563855 said:
its tomorrow.............. ;)

you are correct, about to go pick the car up.... havn't heard from the tuner yet. so it either

A) all went to plan
B) a rod left the block and they're still trying to figure out what to tell me

I'm hoping for A! ill report back in 2-3 hours.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

called the tuner, all is going good, so far its made well over 400rwhp so far, they're still tuning it.. :)

No issues yet!

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
306rwkw @ 5800rpm, 16psi, 98 octane pump fuel , cant get the turbo to boost over 16psi atm and boost comes on laaaate... with the actuator disconnected from the controller max pressure it see's is 16psi...

306rwkw = 410rwhp i believe

full boost by 5500rpm! :( seems like a boost leak...

the tuner thinks it has another 60-70rwkw in it @ 20psi

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
how much torque?

did they log boost vs. rpm for you?

pretty easy to tell if it is a boost leak if the boost spikes then falls off

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
yeah did get boost vs rpm, ill scan it tomorrow at work

515nm @ 5600rpm, not sure what this is in ft/lb he said it should make over 600nm but full boost didn't come in till high rpm
he did a run @ 5psi too, made 180rwkw.

the car wont put down any power atm, its a little damp, need a nice cold dry night to test it out, i really need to get it on the track so i can open it up...oh yeah and a better clutch :(

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
515nm x .737 = about 380 ft/lbs.

did you try preloading the WG actuator a bit more

idk, friend with a boss sr. turbo had the same problem, wouldn't boost over 15psi

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
paradox616;1563926 said:
yeah did get boost vs rpm, ill scan it tomorrow at work

515nm @ 5600rpm, not sure what this is in ft/lb he said it should make over 600nm but full boost didn't come in till high rpm
he did a run @ 5psi too, made 180rwkw.

the car wont put down any power atm, its a little damp, need a nice cold dry night to test it out, i really need to get it on the track so i can open it up...oh yeah and a better clutch :(
To give you a comparison my 3540r made 410rwkw and 1154Nm of torque at it's best, this was at 26psi on LPG.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1563931 said:
To give you a comparison my 3540r made 410rwkw and 1154Nm of torque at it's best, this was at 26psi on LPG.

that's alot of torque :p could you put it down? was it a roller dyno or dynapac? i don't intend on pushing my setup over 20psi
i've got half a hole preload currently, the tuner thinks i may have a vac leak somewhere.

he couldn't get my throttle pump/idle right due to a underlying issue :( its more than likely related to the slow spool.

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
paradox616;1563934 said:
that's alot of torque :p could you put it down? was it a roller dyno or dynapac? i don't intend on pushing my setup over 20psi
i've got half a hole preload currently, the tuner thinks i may have a vac leak somewhere.

he couldn't get my throttle pump/idle right due to a underlying issue :( its more than likely related to the slow spool.

is the vacuum steady at idle?

do you have the zero throttle map enabled?(if not, use it, it makes idle tuning a breeze)

what exactly does it do when you try to tune the throttle pumps? try messing with the coolant correction factor

try checking your iacv & diaphragm to see if its opening/leaking under boost

also check your BOV to see if its causing some kind of vacuum leak

just some suggestions, hope you get it running good soon :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
paradox616;1563934 said:

3000 rpm in any gear = wheelspin....

I fought this issue for years and everything I did just made it worse so in the end I went DBW Traction control to make it drivable, getting blown off by an Old Lady in a new Corolla was the final straw. ;)

There are some vids of it in the Members rides section.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Tightened up the BOV and removed the idle valve and blocked it off for now (can't get any movement out of the valve for some strange reason)

Car idles good again, turns out my dropping tach signal (to gauge) was a issue with the ecu, had to load a different tune and reload mine. I've got a mate with the same ecu which the car is about to be off the road, i might ask nicely if i can borrow it for a test run...

I've tried scanning the dyno graph's but for some reason the actual lines on the graph are not being picked up :( the dyno printer was running out of ink so ill have to take a photo of them and upload it later

IJ - heh that'd suck, atleast at the moment the boost comes on slowly so its easier to control

I'm still running a W58 and 225mm clutch i think its time for R154 and a better clutch

oh yeah and on boost @ 16psi its running 11.8:1 AFR, 0 pinging and no sign of detonation anywhere :)

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
ml43;1563963 said:
is the vacuum steady at idle?

do you have the zero throttle map enabled?(if not, use it, it makes idle tuning a breeze)

what exactly does it do when you try to tune the throttle pumps? try messing with the coolant correction factor

try checking your iacv & diaphragm to see if its opening/leaking under boost

also check your BOV to see if its causing some kind of vacuum leak

just some suggestions, hope you get it running good soon :)

as i cant get any movement out of the valve i've blocked off the Idle valve port for now, it may have been causing issues, i've tightened up the bov alot now as well, its the same setup i was running with a AFM, id notice a airleak on that setup...

I think ill get a boost gauge onto boost actuator reference line and make sure it matches the manifold pressure. any other idea's?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
as promised here at the graphs, had to use a diffrent scanner at work to beable to see the actual lines!

"the dyno graph did backflips.."

Power run
p1564412_1.jpg

Boost, Notice it spikes to 17 and drops to 16 where it makes peak power
p1564412_2.jpg